Very odd brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrduna01

Reaction score
So something about this brew day, which ended up low on OG, doesn't make sense to me. Anyone have any ideas? So my expected pre boil gravity was 1.043. I was high with a gravity of 1.048. I would think this would result in a higher than expected OG in the end to start with. But then I ended up boiling off double what I had anticipated. This should result in an even MORE then expected OG. Given my current volume of 4 gallons (1.5 short) I should have hit around 1.070, and even more since my pre boil gravity was also high (if my thinking is not flawed) but I was actually at 1.061. Something about all of this just doesn't add up. I ended up topping off with distilled water to he 5 gallon mark which gave me the 1.051 I was shooting for... can someone figure out what is up here? Oh and i usually NEVER have gravity issues... I always hit right around where I should with an estimated 70% brew house efficiency but today I did my first RO water brew with added salts. I would say that I overshot or undershot my PH which would have resulted in a lower than expected gravity due to loss of efficiency (?) but my pre boil gravity was HIGH, not LOW! Hopefully someone has some ideas.

Back