OG difference on tilt vs refractometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hilljack13

That's what she said!
Reaction score
Brewed a hefe clone today. Was excited to use my new refractometer. My pre boil was high according to it. 1.048 vs 1.036 so of course the OG was high 1.057/1.058 vs 1.045. I also use a Tilt that I did calibrate. It showed OG as 1.054. Not too far off, however this is enough to make me wonder which I should believe. I lean towards the refactometer. Should I be concerned?

I know the OG os very high for the style. I adjusted my brew profile from past brews. Still working on getting that dialed in.

Brewed a hefe clone today. Was excited to use my new refractometer. My pre boil was high according to it. 1.048 vs 1.036 so of course the OG was high 1.057/1.058 vs 1.045. I also use a Tilt that I did calibrate. It showed OG as 1.054. Not too far off, however this is enough to make me wonder which I should believe. I lean towards the refactometer. Should I be concerned?

I know the OG os very high for the style. I adjusted my brew profile from past brews. Still working on getting that dialed in.
All SG measurement devices need to be calibrated against a known good hydrometer. With refracts, different types of wort may need different "wort correction factors" in order to agree with a hydrometer.

Brew on :mug:

Latest posts

Back