Very fast lager fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norwegian_Brewer

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've been a long time lurker on these forums, this is my first post.

I need help figuring out what to think of my lager fermentation. I have some AG brews under my belt, but this is my first experience with lagers.

Brewed a lager last wednesday, with a OG of 1064. Pitched two packs of Safale w-34/70 into 25l (6.6 gallons) of wort, which is slightly underpitching according to Mr.Malty. Due to a badly calibrated thermometer, the pitching temp was 14C (52F), but I managed to stabilize it to fermentation temp (12C/53.6F) in my fermentation chamber within a few hours.

I was checking the fermentation today, five days later, and noticed that airlock activity had seized. Fearing a stuck fermentation, I measured the SG which stated 1012. The expected FG of this recipe is 1011, so to my amazement the fermentation seems to be complete. When reading up on lagers before brewing, I was under the impression that typical lager fermentation times is around 14 days. My plan was therefore to let it ferment for 14 days, and raise the temp up the third week for a diacityl rest.

But now that the fermentation seems to be complete after such a short time, I am not sure what to do next. I'm thinking of doing the diacityl rest now after five days, and then cold crashing to lager. The other alternative would be sticking with my original plan and letting it stay another week on 53c before doing the diacityl rest, but then I am unsure if the yeast is would be active enough to do a effective job on the diacityl, since the yeast cells probably will have fallen out of suspension.

Any advice and recommandetions would be very welcome:)

My lagers always finish in 5-7 days or so, then I do the diaceytl rest and rack for lagering following that.

53.6 is a bit warmer than my yeast strains ferment best at (48-50C is where I ferment) but I've never used dry lager yeast. Still, that seems about right and especially since it was a bit warmer.

Thats great to hear! Thanks for your advice and reassurance. I was concerned that I might have an infection or something that would drive the gravity down that fast.

Nice to hear that everything seems normal :)

Back