Very Bubbly Airlock + Smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcanada

Reaction score
So I began fermenting an IPA a day and a half ago, and currently have it fermenting in a dark closet. I went to check on it to notice:

1) I could smell the beer, which I couldn't on my first batch (granted that fermented in a large room and was a porter, which isn't as pungent), and...

2) that the airlock was VERY actively bubbling (like bubbles rising to the top of the airlock), which I also didn't notice on my first batch.

I'm afraid that air is leaking into the beer somehow. Is this unusual, or is the beer just very actively fermenting right now?

whats the problem here?
is the airlock solution bubbling out the top? or is it krausen blowoff? If you didnt give adequate headspace and its foaming out the top, you need to rig a blowoff tube ASAP

If its bubbling, that means its pushing air out of the fermentor, not in, so you're fine in that department. Smelling the beer is very common, when I open my fermenting freezer my whole garage smells like fermenting beer.

It sounds like the beer is just very actively fermenting, which is a good thing. You may want to look into a blow off tube in the future for vigorous fermentations

Welcome to the forum and to the hobby!

I don't think that's a problem. Some beers and some yeast are more active than others. I doubt you have air getting into your fermenter. The bubbles mean the yeast are producing gas and that is escaping the airlock (and any other possible openings, say if you're using a bucket instead of a carboy). That positive pressure won't allow any air in and those gases are generally heavier than air so they form a protective layer of gas above your brew.

Biggest problem is if the airlock can't handle the volume of gas and it pops out. Then you need to put a blow off tube in that can handle more gas.

The top of the airlock hasn't blown off, although I'm sure there's a nice bit of pressure inside of it right now.

Thanks for the replies though, it sounds like it's just a very rigorous fermentation which definitely calms my nerves! Hopefully it turns out as well as it smells.

The top of the airlock hasn't blown off, although I'm sure there's a nice bit of pressure inside of it right now.

Thanks for the replies though, it sounds like it's just a very rigorous fermentation which definitely calms my nerves! Hopefully it turns out as well as it smells.

"very rigorous fermentation which definitely calms my nerves" If it is too vigorous it can actually blow the airlock off, so I would (as people have said on this thread) take a serious look at using a blow off tube in the future

The current beer I have in primary had a bubbling rate of about 2 per second. It was going to town.

There actually isn't all that much pressure in the fermenter; just enough to push that little bit of liquid and cause it to bubble. You could do something similar just blowing ever so softly through a straw.

My beer has stopped bubbling, it's just sitting there getting better by the day. :) It'll be three weeks Friday, then time to keg it.

sounds like the beginnings of a "my first explosion" story. It'll be nasty to clean up if it blows; seriously consider having a quick exchange blow off tube in your arsenal of stuff.

You will VERY MUCH smell an IPA. I've only brewed twice and both were IPAs and they smell up the entire room!! Smells like hops!! Enjoy it! It only lasts for the first few days tho =(

You should be smelling an IPA out of the airlock. You just have active fermentation.

Back