[Version 2 Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pins 8&9 are D8 and D9 correct?
that is how mine is setup.

Make sure you have good power to the flow meters. I must have bumped my pins at one point because it stopped registering pours, a quick volt test between my pins for gnd and 5v let me know that was the issue

that is how mine is setup.

Make sure you have good power to the flow meters. I must have bumped my pins at one point because it stopped registering pours, a quick volt test between my pins for gnd and 5v let me know that was the issue

Thanks for the help so far! I checked all my connections and I had a loose 5V wire, but I still didn't get a triggered pour.. The new issue is the log is no longer updating and my alamode status light isn't constantly blinking like before. I've restarted everything tried turning on flowmon and still nothing. The last log I had was from last night see image. Any Ideas?
1605795026517.png

Last edited:
The last log I had was from last night see image. Any Ideas?
I see a RT L 9 which indicates a reset Tap pin 9 because it only got 13 pulses out of the 100 needed to register a pour.
so it got some phantom pulses at one point

did you try
sudo /etc/init/flowmon restart

One of my temp probes failed, I have now replaced it. I have 3 probe values showing in the upper right corner (one with no description and a value of 0.0 F degrees). Will the "empty" probe reading eventually drop off the screen, or is there something I will need to do to remove it manually?
Screenshot 2020-11-19 123558.jpg
Screenshot 2020-11-19 123637.jpg

I see a RT L 9 which indicates a reset Tap pin 9 because it only got 13 pulses out of the 100 needed to register a pour.
so it got some phantom pulses at one point

did you try
sudo /etc/init/flowmon restart
Is there a way to change the rate at which it samples so I can have more data points for accurate triggers and measurements? What counts do you normally see on a 16 oz pour?

Sorry wrong label/math, its been a day.
7000 pulses per gallon 54.6875 per oz
Hmmm.... I wonder if cable length and non shield cable is playing a role because none of my pours read a consistent output even though I am pouring the same amount... I also have the 5v and GND tied together (not to each other) respectively for each meter... I probably have about 15ft of cable 22ga wire non shielded..

I appreciate all your help!! We are so close to the finish line I can taste it!!

probably have about 15ft of cable 22ga wire non shielded..
im not at 15ft but I have 8 taps sharing the 5v and gnd and their signal wires all electrical tapped together using non shielded wire without issue

could you disconnect one from the power and try? what connections do you use to the flow meters for the beer lines? you might be getting turbulence that is causing the inconsistency.

fwiw, I have roughly 13 feet total wire lengths between my SF800s and the AlaMode, each meter with its own (unshielded) 3-wire route for signal, power and ground from end to end. Same for the array of ds18b20 temperature sensors. No issues.

Voltage matters. Make sure 5 volts is really 5 volts...

Cheers!

im not at 15ft but I have 8 taps sharing the 5v and gnd and their signal wires all electrical tapped together using non shielded wire without issue

Thanks for all the tips!! We got it!! It's working every 16oz pour roughly 2300 pulses!! So first I'm an absolute idiot, flow meters were physically backwards.... Just had to switch flow direction and BAM!!! Thank Thank Thank you I will post pictures once I get it all pretty! Y'all are a huge help!

Has anyone on here used a 5V pressure sensor for reading the PSI of the tank to determine tank level? I am considering trying to implement this rather than weighing just reading in my pressure and above a certain range is ok, and below a certain PSI is low tank. If I get this to work would anyone be interested? My plan would be to install the pressure sensor on a "T" connector that connects to the tank pressure gauge.

I am at a loss on what to do next. I have a new build and I cannot get consistent pour readings.

Initially, I think I had a bad serial cable from my RP to my Uno R3. Replaced that and still, no pours being registered. I have checked the continuity all the way from the meters to the 5v, ground and signal wires and everything is good. I have 5V at the meters as well. Flow meters are facing the correct direction as well :)

If I reboot the RP, the pours seem to just show up:

Also, after rebooting the RP, the assigned beers are losing assignment:

The R3 lights are flashing:

Tx and Rx are flashing in a staggered unison.

I am also using separate power sources for the RP and R3.

Attachments

• 2020-11-23_11-28-13.png
    2020-11-23_11-28-13.png
    283.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 2020-11-23_11-29-59.png
    2020-11-23_11-29-59.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 36
  • CE2CF4A2-5F0B-4650-8324-1D0947D456EC.jpeg
    CE2CF4A2-5F0B-4650-8324-1D0947D456EC.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Has anyone on here used a 5V pressure sensor for reading the PSI of the tank to determine tank level? I am considering trying to implement this rather than weighing just reading in my pressure and above a certain range is ok, and below a certain PSI is low tank. If I get this to work would anyone be interested? My plan would be to install the pressure sensor on a "T" connector that connects to the tank pressure gauge.

Good luck, but to have any accuracy at all you will need to account for these pressure vs temperature curves...

co2pv.gif

There are some folks that have been looking at load-cell based solutions, which frankly makes the most sense for this application...

Cheers!

If I reboot the RP, the pours seem to just show up:

Also, after rebooting the RP, the assigned beers are losing assignment:
im going through this same thing right now, though I haven't made an Arduino changes in a long time so I don't think its code, but I haven't tracked down the issue yet.

The taps are clearing because the signal is coming in so fast the Arduino registering a kick instead of a pour you can disable that through configuration
1606186289387.png

im going through this same thing right now, though I haven't made an Arduino changes in a long time so I don't think its code, but I haven't tracked down the issue yet.

The taps are clearing because the signal is coming in so fast the Arduino registering a kick instead of a pour you can disable that through configuration
View attachment 707644

Ok, I made that change.

This is probably really stupid, but I stopped following the online docs once I used the automated install.

Do I need to follow this:

http://raspberrypints.com/byo/step-9-configure-pi-hardware-flow-meters-wflow-meters/
I am using an Uno R3 and I definitely do not have a 5V_Link jumper.

I also took my Red from the meters to 5V, Black to GND and the Yellow (signal wires) to the digital inputs.

By following the instructions online, I was getting about 8V to the meters.

[...]
I also took my Red from the meters to 5V, Black to GND and the Yellow (signal wires) to the digital inputs.
By following the instructions online, I was getting about 8V to the meters.

8V? Where is that coming from? No bueno.
Do you have pull-ups on the meter data lines to your Uno 5V or are you relying on internal pull-ups? Which I assume are enabled - but maybe they're not? @RandR+ ?

Cheers!

8V? Where is that coming from? No bueno.
Do you have pull-ups on the meter data lines to your Uno 5V or are you relying on internal pull-ups? Which I assume are enabled - but maybe they're not? @RandR+ ?

Cheers!

Well I am clearly missing something here. I initially thought I could go Red --> 5V, Black --> GND and the signal wires to the digital input pins of the R3.

If there is some other instructions out there for the R3, I will follow them first, without taking up anyone's time.

Assuming Red and Black are Power and GND, that much would be fine, then connecting the data lead(s) to your chosen digital IO pin(s) would follow.

My first point was there is no "8V" on an UNO. Second point is there has to be a resistive pull-up connected to the meter's data line, which usually is a discrete resistor to 5V, though apparently some have relied on invoking the internal AVR pull-up capability on the UNO, which is not something I would want to hang my hat on...

Cheers!

Assuming Red and Black are Power and GND, that much would be fine, then connecting the data lead(s) to your chosen digital IO pin(s) would follow.

My first point was there is no "8V" on an UNO. Second point is there has to be a resistive pull-up connected to the meter's data line, which usually is a discrete resistor to 5V, though apparently some have relied on invoking the internal AVR pull-up capability on the UNO, which is not something I would want to hang my hat on...

Cheers!

What does, 'Second point is there has to be a resistive pull-up connected to the meter's data line, which usually is a discrete resistor to 5V, though apparently some have relied on invoking the internal AVR pull-up capability on the UNO, which is not something I would want to hang my hat on...' mean?

Sorry, I've been doing this for many years now and sometimes don't consider the current context :)

Flow meters only know how to "pull a signal LOW". They can't "push a signal HIGH". So the circuit they're connected to needs to have some kind of resistive element that "pulls" the signal to a "high" level, but also allows the meter to drag that signal "low" when a pulse train is created as beer flows through the meter. For each tick of the meter it "pulls" the signal wire level to near ground (0 volts) then releases it to the influence of the "pull-up resistor" to re-establish the high level needed for the Arduino to see actual pulses on the wire.

For the Swissflow SF800 meters I've been running for many years, the recommended pull-up resistance is 2.2K ohms, for this application to 5V (if the meters were connected to a Raspberry Pi or any of the ESP microcontrollers, that voltage would be 3.3V). That means phyically placing and connecting discrete 2.2K ohm resistors on each meter data line, somewhere in your kit.

There are available "pull-up" elements inside the AVR chip in an UNO that can be invoked, but the effective resistance is in the 30K ohm range. That can work, but might not, especially with longer meter wiring...

Cheers!

Sorry, I've been doing this for many years now and sometimes don't consider the current context :)

Flow meters only know how to "pull a signal LOW". They can't "push a signal HIGH". So the circuit they're connected to needs to have some kind of resistive element that "pulls" the signal to a "high" level, but also allows the meter to drag that signal "low" when a pulse train is created as beer flows through the meter. For each tick of the meter it "pulls" the signal wire level to near ground (0 volts) then releases it to the influence of the "pull-up resistor" to re-establish the high level needed for the Arduino to see actual pulses on the wire.

For the Swissflow SF800 meters I've been running for many years, the recommended pull-up resistance is 2.2K ohms, for this application to 5V (if the meters were connected to a Raspberry Pi or any of the ESP microcontrollers, that voltage would be 3.3V). That means phyically placing and connecting discrete 2.2K ohm resistors on each meter data line, somewhere in your kit.

There are available "pull-up" elements inside the AVR chip in an UNO that can be invoked, but the effective resistance is in the 30K ohm range. That can work, but might not, especially with longer meter wiring...

Cheers!

So I believe I have this :)

I would need to add some resistance to the signal wires in my setup. I am not using Swissflows, but these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RD4JXLY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
Not sure if anyone else is using those, but how did you find the recommended pull-up resistance, or can I start with 2.2k and see if that works?

I use similar Meters, and I do not need the pull-ups (again, with my build/my meters).

The one thing I noticed in your pictures, it looks like you have a data line going to Pin 1 which is the Tx line. I'll leave to those in the know, if this can cause some of the anomalies you're experiencing.

You can try 2.2K to 5V with no worries, that's barely a couple of milliamps draw. 2.2K is specifically recommended for the Swissflow meters - which are IR detectors beamed through a paddle wheel, while most flow meters are using Hall Effect rotors. But at the end of the day they work the same: the outputs can only "pull low" and rely on external influence to provide a "high" level.

And, again, if @RandR+'s Arduino sketch is turning on pull-ups, meters might well work...

Cheers!

I'm not running @RandR+'s kit (yet) but you should not refer to the original raspberrypints.com installation procedure - at all - at this point, as it's utterly obsolete wrt available package support on the Raspberry Pi platform.

Keep an eye on the installation as it progresses and I believe you may be asked if you want to enable flow meters. Otherwise, you can do that post-install via the management gui...

Cheers!

I gave up and am trying a full reinstall of RPints RandR+ kit.

Does anyone know how to change the default port? I assume it defaults to :80

I just don't know if this is for me. After a clean install and 2 reinstalls, no beers will show up on my screen now.

Flow meters still aren't working either.

I turned the logging level up and this is what I have:

Raspberry Pints Log
Date Process Category Text Occurances
2020-11-24 20:47:50 FlowMonitor D Sending Status;N;-1;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;| 1072
2020-11-24 20:43:08 FlowMonitor D listening to Arduino 1
2020-11-24 20:43:08 FlowMonitor D Arduino says: C:6:3:5:7:9:0:0:0:300:200:30:250:0:0:1| 1
2020-11-24 20:43:08 FlowMonitor D Waiting for Config Response 1
2020-11-24 20:43:08 FlowMonitor D Arduino config, about to send: C:6:3:5:7:9:0:0:0:300:200:30:250:0:0:1| 1
2020-11-24 20:43:08 FlowMonitor D getting config data for Arduino 1
2020-11-24 20:43:08 FlowMonitor D Arduino alive... 1
2020-11-24 20:43:07 FlowMonitor D Adding 28-011927f10bdc Temp[6.9] low:0.0 high:212.0 1
2020-11-24 20:43:06 FlowMonitor D waiting for Arduino to come alive 1
2020-11-24 20:43:06 FlowMonitor I 1Wire Temperature Thread 1 is Running 1
2020-11-24 20:43:05 PintDispatch I Not Configured to run Fan 1
2020-11-24 20:43:05 PintDispatch I Fan Control fanControl1 is Running 1
2020-11-24 20:43:05 FlowMonitor D Creating Serial Listener 1
2020-11-24 20:43:05 FlowMonitor D resetting Arduino 1
2020-11-24 20:43:05 PintDispatch I starting fan control 1
2020-11-24 20:43:05 PintDispatch I starting command server 1
2020-11-24 20:43:05 PintDispatch I starting device monitors... 1
2020-11-24 20:43:05 PintDispatch I starting WS server 1

I suppose I can try adding the resistors to the meters although @garzlok is using the same meters and they seem to work without them.

Is there anything else I can do to troubleshoot this?

This is the error I get on the main page.

This is with a freshly formatted SD card and fresh install.

Attachments

• 2020-11-24_22-22-05.png
    2020-11-24_22-22-05.png
    589.3 KB · Views: 22
Do you need to modify the raspberrypints.ino file as directed here
no the pin settings are now on the tap page

Does anyone know how to change the default port? I assume it defaults to :80
you have to modify the Apache config How to Change Apache HTTP Port in Linux

2020-11-24 20:47:50 FlowMonitor D Sending Status;N;-1;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;| 1072
….
2020-11-24 20:43:08 FlowMonitor D Arduino config, about to send: C:6:3:5:7:9:0:0:0:300:200:30:250:0:0:1| 1
Is there anything else I can do to troubleshoot this?
the good news is that there is communication between the pi and the Arduino. That is why you see Status;N with 1072 (1072 is a count of the messages that happened in a row), from this log I see you have 6 taps, but are only using pins 3,5,7,9 are those the correct pins the flow meters are attached to?

This is the error I get on the main page.
can you look at the end of /var/log/apache2/error.log to see if there is any obvious errors preventing the main display from loading

Sorry on the terms...

I added the 2.2k resistors, restarted and still no pours. Actually, nothing has changed.

Log is now:

2020-11-29 13:15:26 FlowMonitor D resetting Arduino 1
2020-11-29 13:15:26 PintDispatch I starting command server 1
2020-11-29 13:15:24 PintDispatch I starting device monitors... 1
2020-11-29 13:15:22 PintDispatch I starting WS server 1
2020-11-29 13:15:22 FlowMonitor D avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.00s avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e950f avrdude: reading input file "/var/www/html//arduino/raspberrypints/raspberrypints.cpp.hex" avrdude: writing flash (12180 bytes): Writing | ################################################## | 100% 2.37s avrdude: 12180 bytes of flash written avrdude: verifying flash memory against /var/www/html//arduino/raspberrypints/raspberrypints.cpp.hex: avrdude: load data flash data from input file /var/www/html//arduino/raspberrypints/raspberrypints.cpp.hex: avrdude: input file /var/www/html//arduino/raspberrypints/raspberrypints.cpp.hex contains 12180 bytes avrdude: reading on-chip flash data: Reading | ################################################## | 100% 1.88s avrdude: verifying ... avrdude: 12180 bytes of flash verified avrdude done. Thank you. 1
2020-11-29 13:15:15 FlowMonitor D reflashing Arduino via: /usr/share/arduino/hardware/tools/avrdude -C/usr/share/arduino/hardware/tools/avrdude.conf -patmega328p -calamode -P/dev/ttyACM0 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:/var/www/html//arduino/raspberrypints/raspberrypints.cpp.hex:i 1
2020-11-29 13:15:12 FlowMonitor D giving it a short break to wake up again... 1
2020-11-29 13:15:10 FlowMonitor D resetting alamode to try to force it to listen to us... 1
2020-11-29 13:15:10 PintDispatch D starting setup... 1
2020-11-29 13:15:05 FlowMonitor I Could not import RFID Reader, RFID disabled. Assuming SPI not installed/configured 1
2020-11-29 13:14:47 PintDispatch D valve update: RPU:VALVE:5=0 1
2020-11-29 13:14:46 PintDispatch D valve update: RPU:VALVE:4=0 1
2020-11-29 13:14:34 PintDispatch D valve update: RPU:VALVE:3=0 1
2020-11-29 13:14:31 PintDispatch D valve update: RPU:VALVE:2=0 1
2020-11-29 13:14:31 PintDispatch D valve update: RPU:VALVE:1=0 1
2020-11-29 13:14:31 PintDispatch D valve update: RPU:VALVE:0=0 1
2020-11-29 13:14:01 FlowMonitor D Sending Status;N;-1;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;| 285
2020-11-29 13:08:39 FlowMonitor D listening to Arduino

I started the Serial Monitor before I attempted the first pour and this is what I am seeing:

ttttt;
ttttttttuttttttttttttCtse;tttttttttttttttktttutt
ttttttttttttttatusCheck;

StatusCheck;

StatusCheck;

tttttutuatettaaaaaaCttttaatatusCheck;

StatusCheck;

StatusCheck;

tttaatttttttttaaaatatatusCheck;

StatusCheck;

StatusCheck;

aatusCheck;