[Version 2 Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been out of the loop for about a year and a half, after my SD card took a crap and I failed to have a backup. I had fairly heavily modified my RPints install to include QR codes for users to log their drinks in Untappd, and also extended the SRM range to much darker than the 35 SRM that was in the 2017-2018 installs.

I've just did a fresh install of Raspbian, and intend to use RandR+'s install for a fresh install of RPints in the morning. It looks like you guys have really done a lot of work on this project! I'm super excited to see the new options and features! Did I really see that 'motion sensors' are now an option? No more autostart updating and pir_xxx.py troubleshooting? Do I just say "yes" and tell it what pin it's on?

I'll update you with how the progress goes later this weekend! Thanks for all the continued support on this awesome project! Cheers!

I just ran the install command and got this:
1607189768604.png

VIM just installed correctly, but when it tried to install "kompare", it errored out. I tried installing kompare on it's own, and got an error saying the url is not found... thoughts?

EDIT: I found another user having kompare issues back in August, you suggested 'sudo apt-get install kompare', which I tried, but still getting errors:
1607191976717.png

Thanks in advance!

2nd EDIT: I ended up doing a 'sudo apt update' and 'sudo apt upgrade', then tried the 'sudo apt-get install kompare' and it's installing now! I'll rerun the RPints install after this is done and see if I encounter any other issues.

Last edited:
I ended up doing a 'sudo apt update' and 'sudo apt upgrade', then tried the 'sudo apt-get install kompare' and it's installing now! I'll rerun the RPints install after this is done and see if I encounter any other issues.
hmm that's interesting. the script should run update and upgrade first, in fact when I load a VM of Raspbian I skip its update in favor of the script.

My first thought was that they released a new Raspberry OS and that was causing Kompare to error, but that doesn't sound like the case now.

My first thought was that they released a new Raspberry OS and that was causing Kompare to error, but that doesn't sound like the case now.

No clue, but the method I used to install Raspbian was the Raspberry Pi Imager. Might that have done something?

Anyways, I did get RPints up and running. I'm now trying to tweak the index.php to match what I had on my old install.

I had added some qr code images for users to scan with their phones to check in to the beers on Untappd. I had modified the tables in the database and the beers form to allow for entry of the qr file name. Now I can't find the database... I went to phpmyadmin and didn't see the RPints database for this install. Is it somewhere else now?

Also, are people just editing the index.php to add custom tap numbers or is there an option for loading those in the settings?

Thanks! I'm super impressed with how far along this has come. You've done an incredible job getting this thing super functional and easy to setup! And amazing support as well! Thank you!!

Is it somewhere else now?

Also, are people just editing the index.php to add custom tap numbers or is there an option for loading those in the settings?
the database should be in phpmyadmin.
you can verify its name using the terminal commands
sudo mysql
show databases;

You could also run the sql you need from that terminal, but that requires a bit of knowledge vs the graphic interface of phpmyadmin

You can put custom tap numbers or images through the taps admin page (the up arrow is to upload an image)
1607270765117.png

Thanks! I found the databases from console, but when I access phpMyAdmin from a browser, they're missing. Thoughts?

1607285665625.png

I was able to load the images for my taps! Thank you!

I access phpMyAdmin from a browser, they're missing. Thoughts?
It may have to do with the login you use for phpmyadmin. it may not have rights to rpints database

if you are not using Rpints user you may need to run this command after sudo MySQL (change <User Name> to the one you use
GRANT ALL ON raspberrypints.* TO '<User Name>'@'localhost';

@RandR+

I went all in and actually have inventoried all my kegs :)

For my kegs that are not being used, why can not 'Select One' on some, but I can on others? I was using that for a keg that is empty. I played around with the 'Status/Update' and can't seem to be able to set the Beer to essentially nothing.

why can not 'Select One' on some, but I can on others?
its setup so that if the keg is on tap it cannot be set to empty otherwise you would have a empty keg on tap and that doesn't make sense and changing it from serving to something else doesn't remove it from the tap you have to do that from the tap list

I created a fake keg and a fictitious beer that I "tap" whenever one of my taps is idle and I have nothing ready to be served. It tells the user that "This tap is currently empty, but don't fret because a new beer will be tapped soon".

its setup so that if the keg is on tap it cannot be set to empty otherwise you would have a empty keg on tap and that doesn't make sense and changing it from serving to something else doesn't remove it from the tap you have to do that from the tap list

I assumed that but I have 2-3 kegs that are not assigned to a tap and I can't 'Select One,' on. These are the ones I couldn't figure out. Keg not assigned to tap and I can't pick no beer basically.

All the other kegs that are assigned to a tap, I totally understand that they would need a beer assigned.

I assumed that but I have 2-3 kegs that are not assigned to a tap and I can't 'Select One,' on. These are the ones I couldn't figure out
I wonder if there is a data inconstancy here like the tap isn't assigned a keg but the keg is assigned a tap.

Can you run the following from the terminal (where <DatabaseName> is your database name, default is raspberrypints):
sudo mysql
use <DatabaseName>
select * from kegs where onTapId > 0;

that should return the kegs that think they are on tap. If the number of rows is not equal to the number you have configured on tap or you see a keg that you know you don't have on tap in the list then that is the issue

Ok...back at this...have things hooked up in my taproom / brewery. Anyone have issue with RFID connection at a longer length? I am using Cat6 about 10-15 feet.

Second issue as well.... Valve relays seem to have extra voltage on the low voltage side.... can I drive a 5v relay with the RPi 3.3v ?? Or is there a way to use the Arduino?

Anyone have issue with RFID connection at a longer length? I am using Cat6 about 10-15 feet.
I use 6ft flat ribbon cable without issue (besides loose connection to the pi)

can I drive a 5v relay with the RPi 3.3v ?
I use a 5v relay board, unfortunately the one I bought isn't on amazon but its description was JBtek DC 5V 8 Channel Relay Module

I use a 5v relay board, unfortunately the one I bought isn't on amazon but its description was JBtek DC 5V 8 Channel Relay Module

I can't believe this....it was working the whole time....manufacturer didn't install LED diode...didn't break off...pads were pristine. Go figure...

Also seems that relay is working now as well....still not 100% confident on this part...but the pours are showing based on user.....so.....false alarm.

I have the exact same relay...found this on Amazon....didn't know there was extra wires to add...basically...add wire from 5v to JD_VCC and REMOVE the jumper...

Attachments

• 51BwPalcCjL._CR107,0,532,532_UX175.jpg
    51BwPalcCjL._CR107,0,532,532_UX175.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 31
Just joining the forums, and looking for advice on using raspberrypints for a Bar with 30 taps, I am trying to keep track of our usage is raspberrypints a viable solution?

30 taps, I am trying to keep track of our usage is raspberrypints a viable solution?
Viable? I would think so. But I would make sure to clearly indicate it is for basic tracking and not let any customers see the data. they may not like seeing their pour was short when it wasn't (i.e. flow meter misreads).

30 taps is more than I've seen before.
I think it may be done with 1 pi and 3 Arduino Unos. Otherwise you could do it with 3 separate Pis and Arduino's, but that is a lot more management (i.e. different web pages to go to) Unless the taps are not physically located next to each other in which case separate Pis may be easer then running wires everywhere.

The issue would be configuration of the software (python). Right now its only setup to talk to one board so some changes would be needed:
1. add in board to the tap configuration when filling in the pins
2. add in configuration to allow multiple board connections from the python

I think it wouldnt be that big of a change and would be still be able to be used by everyone with just 1 board

Viable? I would think so. But I would make sure to clearly indicate it is for basic tracking and not let any customers see the data. they may not like seeing their pour was short when it wasn't (i.e. flow meter misreads).

30 taps is more than I've seen before.
I think it may be done with 1 pi and 3 Arduino Unos. Otherwise you could do it with 3 separate Pis and Arduino's, but that is a lot more management (i.e. different web pages to go to) Unless the taps are not physically located next to each other in which case separate Pis may be easer then running wires everywhere.

The issue would be configuration of the software (python). Right now its only setup to talk to one board so some changes would be needed:
1. add in board to the tap configuration when filling in the pins
2. add in configuration to allow multiple board connections from the python

I think it wouldnt be that big of a change and would be still be able to be used by everyone with just 1 board

I'm not looking to display the information for customers, just a backend system to track daily usage and to make sure the staff is not giving away free beer. The 30 taps are in a row. Also would be interested in paying for someone to help me set this up.

The 30 taps are in a row. Also would be interested in paying for someone to help me set this up.
Sounds like 1 pi and 3 Arduinos should work, along with 30 flowmeters
you can use swiss flow for high accuracy but 30 would make this expensive.
I use these
https://www.amazon.com/DIGITEN-Conn...AP32BNQVY7B&psc=1&refRID=G8A72XHVHAP32BNQVY7B

along with these fittings (makes changing lines easier)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005XU0SK4/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Depending where you are located you may find people willing to help. I would want to see the layout to get an idea of where things are and the best way to hook up the flowmeters to the beer lines where they are not getting bumped every time a keg needs to be swapped

Could the Arduino sketch work on a Mega? Or a Mega compatible version be spun off? That should allow all 30 meters to connect to one board...

Cheers!

Could the Arduino sketch work on a Mega?
Yes it should. I know of others that use it. Im really not that familiar with Arduino layouts, I originally looked at a pin layout for mega and misread it.

So you are correct a mega board should work in place of 3 unos.

I'm not looking to display the information for customers, just a backend system to track daily usage and to make sure the staff is not giving away free beer. The 30 taps are in a row. Also would be interested in paying for someone to help me set this up.

Isn't there an easier way to determine loss? Beer volume vs sales?

Yes it should. I know of others that use it. Im really not that familiar with Arduino layouts, I originally looked at a pin layout for mega and misread it.
So you are correct a mega board should work in place of 3 unos.

Awesome! Thanks for the follow-up.
Now I wonder what the fidelity of simultaneous pours would be. I should test that one of these days...

Cheers!

Isn't there an easier way to determine loss? Beer volume vs sales?

Yes and No. I think the simple math, should help I8 determine if they’re making the margins they want per CE. If they’re not making the margins, then theft could be the culprit. However, I tend to see margin loss more a function of improperly pouring a beer, incorrect pressure, line length, temperature, etc. and creating a lot of waist.

The use of RPints may help tell some of that story, and give a nice 30 thousand foot view. In the end, I think something that ties pour amounts into their POS is what will be needed.

...it still would be pretty cool to see 30 taps on an RPints build!

Yes and No. I think the simple math, should help I8 determine if they’re making the margins they want per CE. If they’re not making the margins, then theft could be the culprit. However, I tend to see margin loss more a function of improperly pouring a beer, incorrect pressure, line length, temperature, etc. and creating a lot of waist.

The use of RPints may help tell some of that story, and give a nice 30 thousand foot view. In the end, I think something that ties pour amounts into their POS is what will be needed.

...it still would be pretty cool to see 30 taps on an RPints build!

I know this is probably getting off topic, but I'm amazed how much is wasted, at a brewery, in a pour or a growler fill. Maybe better staff training?

Any update on the delete button?
sorry its in now. You just need to update

When I updated a test system I got an email saying no password getting is being removed meaning the update process for Rpints will have to change

sorry its in now. You just need to update

When I updated a test system I got an email saying no password getting is being removed meaning the update process for Rpints will have to change
Outstanding, worked perfectly, thank you ... and Happy Holidays!

ok...have no clue where to start with this ask... How can I troubleshoot "ghost" pours? I have 1 out of 4 taps connected and I've move between 2 and they both exhibit the same "ghost" pours... What could it be?

Other thing.... my RFID reader (MFRC522) is very short distance...I mean...I have to touch the reader with the card....is there some type of tweak I can do or is there a better quality reader ?? The reason is that I want it to be hidden under the countertop just in from of the taps. -It's only 1/4 inch...but it Corian...not sure how that plays in to the equation.

Last edited:
ok...have no clue where to start with this ask... How can I troubleshoot "ghost" pours? I have 1 out of 4 taps connected and I've move between 2 and they both exhibit the same "ghost" pours... What could it be?
What do you mean "you moved between them"?
Where is your flowmeter with respect to the keg(closer to keg or tap)?
Do you have flow meters on each tap and which type?
Assuming you have Rands version, what are your tap setting?
Do you have air bubbles in your beer lines?

What do you mean "you moved between them"?
Where is your flowmeter with respect to the keg(closer to keg or tap)?
Do you have flow meters on each tap and which type?
Assuming you have Rands version, what are your tap setting?
Do you have air bubbles in your beer lines?

Ok...thank you so much for asking the questions...you believed me when I said...I don't know where to start.....

so...I have 4 swissflow with valves...

keg---2 foot 1/4' hose ---valve/flowmeter ---12 foot trunk line w/glycol to tap.

pour message delay 300
pour trigger count 400
kick trigger count 500
update trigger count 350
pour shutoff count 0
valve on time 2
number of taps 4

did calibration...and got 21865 count per gallon....that part is awesome and consistent...

I don't see any air at all...

Hope the pictures help.

Attachments

• IMG_2699.jpg
    IMG_2699.jpg
    748.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2700.jpg
    IMG_2700.jpg
    786.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2701.jpg
    IMG_2701.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2702.jpg
    IMG_2702.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 31
@Benjamin Carlisle Looks like your settings and configuration seems reasonable.

How long is the wire from the meter to the Pi? Do you have a pullup resistor on the data line?

How big are the ghost pours? Do they always happen or is random?

Does it happen on every tap or just one?
Have you tried swapping flowmeters and do the problem follow the meter or the tap?

^All good questions^

fwiw, I've occasionally gotten ghost pours, almost always from the tap that I keep my higher-carbonated beers (currently a raspberry hibiscus wheat that's carbed to 3 volumes). Haven't had one in months, but when they happen they're usually in a stream of tiny pours, which indicated I was a bit high on the keg carbonation vs the holding temperature/pressure combination in the keezer.

fwiw, I run six SF800 meters, all located as close to the keg posts as possible, but no solenoid valves...

Cheers!

Back