Valve for Speidel fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerkench

Reaction score
I have 2 Speidel plastic fermenters and as they are able to hold some pressure I want to attach a valve of some sort to the 2" cap so I can purge the headspace during cold crash and transfer. Can anyone suggest a valve I can attach?

I'm looking for something similar to the King keg concept.

I've seen this mentioned in another thread where someone modified the solid cap with a SS Technologies rotating racking arm, then used the original Speidel valve on the the lid to pressurize. Since you have two fermenters you already have the parts to try it and if it works to expectations you could order additional Speidel valves from MoreBeer.

Or you could modify the solid cap with whatever NPT fittings you need to connect to your gas line, provided you have a shutoff valve at the output of your regulator.

I bought a replacement spigot (same as the bottom) and use it on the top. I use it to hook up a blow off hose and then to purge with co2.

I bought a replacement spigot (same as the bottom) and use it on the top. I use it to hook up a blow off hose and then to purge with co2.

Curious how you are purging with only a single opening for the CO2 (no air out opening). Do you hold it on, pressurize (low psi), lift the cap, repeat?

Yeah, I slip a piece of silicon hose over the valve on the top, add co2, and pull the hose back off. I repeat a couple more times.

Most of my batches are in the fermenter for two weeks. At kegging time I started checking the need to purge/presence of O2 by taking the lid off then using stick lighter. Everytime I check, as soon as the flame gets into the opening of the fermenter the flame goes out, so I'm guessing there is not much O2 present. Might save you a step...

I've found these hold quite a bit
of pressure so I cap with the spigot at the end of fermentation and let some pressure build before crashing.

I've found these hold quite a bit
of pressure so I cap with the spigot at the end of fermentation and let some pressure build before crashing.

Interesting. So are you saying the plastic spigot on the top doesn't seem to leak CO2 during the maturing phase of fermentation? I assumed it would leak.

No they don't leak, it's the same spigot that's on the bottom and they don't leak.

Latest posts

Back