Using Old Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenpotf

Reaction score
All,

I was going to brew today, and at the last minute I thought I'd use some hops that I have in the freezer along with new ones I bought yesterday. First of all, I have no idea how old these things are. They could be 3 or 4 years old. When I open them, I put the left over in a ziploc bag which is where these are. I have about .5 oz of fuggles that I'd like to add to this recipe today, but I'm afraid they could be too old. How can I determine if they're good or not? Should I leave them out and then smell them? What does a bad hop smell like? Does the texture change? Do they get sticky or fall apart when too old?

Thanks!

I would not use 3-4 year old hops that were stored in a zip lock bag, unless brewing a lambic. It's only a half ounce? Toss it out now IMHO. Unless you are on a deserted island without hops, get new.

I wasted 2 batches bc of using old discounted hops. Taste terrible. They were being sold 20 oz or $5... Sounded like a great deal.

I have some hops that have been refrigerated for over a year but I'm going to toss them. I can't justify using $10 worth of bad product due to he potential of ruining a $50 dollar batch.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have some hops that have been refrigerated for over a year but I'm going to toss them.

If vacuum packed and frozen a year is not so bad, they would likely be fine for bittering. There is a chart that shows hop degradation and loss, I believe 1 year properly stored is only 10% or less loss.

The OP had a half ounce in a zip lock for 3-4 years ouch. Jmo

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

Latest posts

Back