Using fresh malts with a kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scarthingmoor

Reaction score
After my first successful kit batch, I'm stepping up to try a home kit with some added malts. I know you add the malts to the bag and boil with the wort, but I'm not sure for how long, and I'm not sure if I need to reduce the sugar added.

Can anybody offer some help? (You'd be a lifesaver and I will toast my first beer from the new batch in your name :))

slow down...First off, are you trying to do a partial-mash with some two-row malt or specialty grains i.e Chocolate Malts?...Secondly you never boil the Malts or grains in with your wort boil.

Glad I asked then. I've got a nut brown ale kit, and some chocolate malts. I really am pretty lost about this (but I'm enjoying the learning process). Basically I'm hoping to just enhance the kit a bit. Problem is, I don't have the first clue how to do it, because I've only got experience with the kits. Guy at the store told me I just boil it in with the wort, and it will add a bit more complex flavours. Any help is appreciated, even if it's just a link or something. Question is, can I just throw a bit of the malts in the boil with the kit to get some of the flavours and sugars, without going full out partial mash? If I do this, would I need to reduce the sugars I add?

Glad I asked then. I've got a nut brown ale kit, and some chocolate malts. I really am pretty lost about this (but I'm enjoying the learning process). Basically I'm hoping to just enhance the kit a bit. Problem is, I don't have the first clue how to do it, because I've only got experience with the kits. Guy at the store told me I just boil it in with the wort, and it will add a bit more complex flavours. Any help is appreciated, even if it's just a link or something. Question is, can I just throw a bit of the malts in the boil with the kit to get some of the flavours and sugars, without going full out partial mash? If I do this, would I need to reduce the sugars I add?

Don't boil your grains!

Put your grains in a mesh bag, and steep at 150-160 degrees for 20-30 minutes. Pull them out, bag and all, and allow them to drip into your pot while you turn up the heat to boiling. You can pour some water over it to rinse the grains, if you want. I'd heat up some water separately in a different pot and just gently pour the water over it to reach your boil volume. (Use water no higher than 170 degrees!)

You won't have to dcrease your malt with adding these steeping grains. But I'm not a fan of adding sugar to most beer recipes, so you may consider decreasing or eliminating simple sugars.

I believe you're trying to do an extact kit with specialty grains. These grains only need to be steeped so it's not critical. But typically you add the grains when you start your water going and steep up to 170* for half an hour. Don't go past 170 though. Its usually about a pound of grain for a 5 gallon batch. Carapils is a nice to add some body to extract batches. Northern Brewer has the kit recipes posted if you want to look at some good examples.

I believe you're trying to do an extact kit with specialty grains. These grains only need to be steeped so it's not critical. But typically you add the grains when you start your water going and steep up to 170* for half an hour. Don't go past 170 though. Its usually about a pound of grain for a 5 gallon batch. Carapils is a nice to add some body to extract batches. Northern Brewer has the kit recipes posted if you want to look at some good examples.

This is exactly what I'm aiming for. One question though, do I still use corn sugar/LME in the recipe (as per the kit instructions)? Or should I reduce this to account for the extra sugars from the steeped specialty grains?

This is exactly what I'm aiming for. One question though, do I still use corn sugar/LME in the recipe (as per the kit instructions)? Or should I reduce this to account for the extra sugars from the steeped specialty grains?

You won't get much in the way of extra fermentables from the grains, but you'll get color, flavor, and a certain fresh taste from them.

I am not a fan of sugar in beer, but you could definitely keep the LME and DME and any other fermentables that are in the recipe. Ditch the sugar if you can and sub with more malt extract. Sugar "thins" and dries the beer, leaving a taste I don't like. But malt extract gives body, flavor, and fullness to a beer that I like.

You won't get much in the way of extra fermentables from the grains, but you'll get color, flavor, and a certain fresh taste from them.

I am not a fan of sugar in beer, but you could definitely keep the LME and DME and any other fermentables that are in the recipe. Ditch the sugar if you can and sub with more malt extract. Sugar "thins" and dries the beer, leaving a taste I don't like. But malt extract gives body, flavor, and fullness to a beer that I like.

Perfect dude. This clears it all up for me. This stuff is tricky for us newbs, but I think I'm getting hooked. I've got an extra kg of LME that I can substitute in for the sugar. Thanks for all the help.

You should try some better kits that don't include table sugar (yuck!) in the recipe. Sugar makes alcohol but its malt that makes beer. I've made some good beers with Northern Brewer and More Beer extract kits. I'm sure there are other places but these are two of the largest and have good kits with fresh ingredients. I would try these until you get a feel for what you like.

Latest posts

Back