Using fat for too much foam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loeks

Reaction score
I have a session IPA that I brewed and when I open it, the bottle overflows with foam soon after its opened. No signs of infection, so I may have overcarbed it a bit.

I am thinking about bringing a sixer to a party tomorrow. Tonight I had an idea. Add something with a lot of fat content to the glass that I'm pouring into to kill the foam. I smeared the glass with some peanut butter and that seriously did the trick. But I am trying to think of something more neutral flavor-wise that I can add to the glass that will have the same effect. Canola oil didn't work. Any ideas out there?

So you have slightly overcarbed beers in bottle that you want to bring to a party, serve and not have foam over? I would skip the fats. Have you tried just prying the caps up slightly, just enough to where you hear the hiss to vent some pressure then let it reseal. Should allow you to vent the headspace and if you give it some small amount of time the beer should lose some carbonation trying to equalize the pressure. Otherwise you can often reduce foaming by letting the beer sit in the fridge at colder temps for a minimum of 24 hours so the sediment in the bottle settles and compacts and provides less nuculeation sites, this also ensures that the CO2 is well dissolved in solution.

TL;DR Release some pressure while still warm, then get them cold. Do not agitate them and you can reduce foaming.

So you have slightly overcarbed beers in bottle that you want to bring to a party, serve and not have foam over? I would skip the fats. Have you tried just prying the caps up slightly, just enough to where you hear the hiss to vent some pressure then let it reseal. Should allow you to vent the headspace and if you give it some small amount of time the beer should lose some carbonation trying to equalize the pressure. Otherwise you can often reduce foaming by letting the beer sit in the fridge at colder temps for a minimum of 24 hours so the sediment in the bottle settles and compacts and provides less nuculeation sites, this also ensures that the CO2 is well dissolved in solution.

TL;DR Release some pressure while still warm, then get them cold. Do not agitate them and you can reduce foaming.

Thanks for the ideas. They have actually been in the fridge for a couple weeks and still majorly foamy. the slow release thing might be a good idea to try.

Hmmm... does not compute.

Anyway, maybe try a drop of fermcap-s.

I should have said that there are no signs of infection, except perhaps the foaming. The only reason that I said something like that was to avoid getting into a discussion about infections, which I understand COULD be the issue. But that's not the point of what I'm trying to get at here.

I just wanted to know if anyone had tried what I was was thinking could work - basically grease/fat on glass = bad for foam, therefore will adding grease/fat intentionally fix a glass full of foam.

It worked crazy well with some peanut butter, but I was seeing if there were any other ideas that would give the same results, but not affect the flavor so much. :mug:

I should have said that there are no signs of infection, except perhaps the foaming. The only reason that I said something like that was to avoid getting into a discussion about infections, which I understand COULD be the issue. But that's not the point of what I'm trying to get at here.

I just wanted to know if anyone had tried what I was was thinking could work - basically grease/fat on glass = bad for foam, therefore will adding grease/fat intentionally fix a glass full of foam.

It worked crazy well with some peanut butter, but I was seeing if there were any other ideas that would give the same results, but not affect the flavor so much. :mug:

So... what do you think about my idea?

So... what do you think about my idea?

I've never actually used ferm cap, and I don't really know anything about it. I might look into it for future brews, but I am going to this party right after work today and don't have time to go to the LHBS. So I was trying to think of something that I could find a typical kitchen.

Thanks for the suggestion!

I've never actually used ferm cap, and I don't really know anything about it. I might look into it for future brews, but I am going to this party right after work today and don't have time to go to the LHBS. So I was trying to think of something that I could find a typical kitchen.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Still, if you want to try it, just get Gas-X at walgreens or cvs or similar (fermcap is just simethicone). Get the drops (liquid). One drop in the glass, pour your beer. Seriously. Any anti-gas product, including generic brands, that includes simethicone will work. BTW, this stuff is safe for continuous use for babies, so don't worry about its safety (at least I wouldn't).

I use fermcap-s when I make spaghetti and other stuff that I don't want to boil over. I use it EVERY time I brew, in the boil, and also when I make starters.

450.jpg

If I were receiving a glass of beer, I would not appreciate there being fat on it. I would much rather the beer be a little foamy at first and settle down. You also might upset any vegetarians if the fat is animal-derived (?).

Another idea is to get a pitcher to pour the bottled beer into and let sit in the fridge for a few minutes while the foam dies down. Then serve. The pitcher is also a more communal thing, so maybe people would appreciate that (and you could pass it off as such, rather than a way to knock down the foaming issue).

Still, if you want to try it, just get Gas-X at walgreens or cvs or similar (fermcap is just simethicone). Get the drops (liquid). One drop in the glass, pour your beer. Seriously. Any anti-gas product, including generic brands, that includes simethicone will work. BTW, this stuff is safe for continuous use for babies, so don't worry about its safety (at least I wouldn't).

I use fermcap-s when I make spaghetti and other stuff that I don't want to boil over. I use it EVERY time I brew, in the boil, and also when I make starters.

450.jpg

This is a really cool idea. I will stop by Wallgreen's on my way home. Thanks!

If I were receiving a glass of beer, I would not appreciate there being fat on it. I would much rather the beer be a little foamy at first and settle down. You also might upset any vegetarians if the fat is animal-derived (?).

Another idea is to get a pitcher to pour the bottled beer into and let sit in the fridge for a few minutes while the foam dies down. Then serve. The pitcher is also a more communal thing, so maybe people would appreciate that (and you could pass it off as such, rather than a way to knock down the foaming issue).

The party is just my very large immediate family. Honestly, it will probably just be my two brothers and one or two of my sisters who drink beer that will try it, so no worries about diet concerns.

Pouring the whole sixer in a pitcher is a pretty great idea. I might try that if passedpawn's idea doesn't work for me. :mug:

Latest posts

Back