Using Cold Crashed Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeeMont

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just finished brewed a brown ale, using a recipe I have used a couple of time before with good success, using saved Nottingham yeast. The problem is I am not having any action at all after a day in my ferm chamber at 67 degrees. This time I repitched a half of yeast cake from a batch I racked after cold crashing. I aerated my wort and pitched at 70 degrees.
This is the first time I cold crashed at the end of primary (in primary for 18 days before cold crashing) and then saved the yeast for reuse. The yeast was repitched after only 3 days of storage. I have repitched yeast several times with good results with fast and very active initial fermentation. Question, Does cold crashing at 35 degrees kill the yeast. I am planning on giving it a couple of days and if still no action I will look at repitching a new yeast. Thanks in advance.

Cold crashing doesn't kill yeast. In fact, you should always store yeast at fridge temps. Of course, it does force yeast into dormancy, so they won't take off as fast as a fresh yeast cake or starter.

The yeast will just need a little extra time to wake up and start the budding process before they take off.

Thanks for the reply's I haven't checked the brew yet this morning, sorry, i'm retired and mornings are lazy. I am hoping for the best. I didn't use a starter as I have not done that in the past and have had great results. The cake was drained into a sanitized growler and stored in my fridge for four days. It was warmed to atleast 70 plus degrees prior to pitching. The slurry smelled good with no off smells and was milky in appearance. It had a nice layer of beer on top that i carefully drained of prior to pitching. I left the bottom half of the mix to throw away. I'll get back to you about my progress. If it starts, beer in me.

Very slow action in carboy no real krausen yet, go my fingers crossed. I have a wheat sitting next to it with a rehydrated dry yeast and it is going nuts. It's beautiful, makes me want to cry.

I often pitch yeast harvested from cold crashed ales and lagers. No problems at all. If it's fresh like yours, no starter is needed so long as you pitched around 1 to 1-1/2 cups of slurry.

FYI- the concentration of yeast cells is roughly the same in the bottom part you threw away as in the lighter-looking middle layer. Also, it's best to pitch and start fermenting with Nottingham in the 57-62*F range.

Thanks Floyd, that cool for Nottingham, Just checked they say 17c which if 62 F. thanks, I better do a better job reading. I just checked, I am at 18.2 C and it is starting, a little kausen and bubbles. Nothing like the wheat. Floyd, At this time, would you drop it to 17 C???????

Thanks Floyd, that cool for Nottingham, Just checked they say 17c which if 62 F. thanks, I better do a better job reading. I just checked, I am at 18.2 C and it is starting, a little kausen and bubbles. Nothing like the wheat. Floyd, At this time, would you drop it to 17 C???????

Yes. Once the activity slacks off, it's a good practice to step it up over a few days to 65-66*F to finish.

Back