Using Centennial in an American Brown?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Palefire

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing up a nice, pretty simple American Brown next week, and I'm trying to figure out what hops to use. The key is that I want to use hops that I already have in my freezer, since I don't want to buy any more! I have a few oz of Centennial, but I've never used them before. People usually describe them as a sort of hyper-Cascade, so I'm wondering if they'd fit in a Brown, or if they'd be too overpowering. I'm thinking about mixing them with Willamette, something like this:

8 lbs 2-row / MO (haven't decided yet)
1 lb Crystal 80
0.5 lb Chocolate
0.5 lb Victory/Wheat/Amber (haven't decided yet)

WLP 051

0.75 oz Centennial (9.2%) @ 60
0.25 oz Centennial (9.2%) @ 15
0.5 oz Willamette (4.5%) @15
0.25 oz Centennial (9.2%) @ 5
0.5 oz Willamette (4.5%) @5

What do people think? FWIW, I have tons of Willamette, some Amarillo, and some EKG I could also use, if people think the Centennial wouldn't fit.

I will throw a commercial example out that most of the forum will not have had the privilege to taste. Short's Good Human is a dry hopped double brown. The citric characteristics of the hops worked quite well with the nutty breadiness of the brown ale. While it may not be everyones first choice I would go for it. I love cenntenial and could see it working great in an ABA.

Centennial is fantastic in a brown, I like to bitter with magnum, and use cascade, centennial, and/or chinook to finish. Dry hop is mandatory. My browns are hopped to IPA levels typically though...and they are awesome.

don't be so shy with the late hop additions!

0.75 oz Centennial (9.2%) @ 60
0.75 oz Centennial (9.2%) @ 10
0.50 oz Willamette (4.5%) @10
0.75oz Centennial (9.2%) @ 1
0.50 oz Willamette (4.5%) @1

now we are talking!

My favorite American Brown recipe uses lots of Centennial. It's loosely based on Janet's Brown from Brewing Classic Styles. I dry hop with 2 oz of Centennial, plus finish with them in the boil. I love the way the beer changes with time. At first it's like an India Brown Ale, and over the course of several months it keeps getting maltier and more balanced. It's perfect, yet different, no matter when you drink it.

My favorite American Brown recipe uses lots of Centennial. It's loosely based on Janet's Brown from Brewing Classic Styles. I dry hop with 2 oz of Centennial, plus finish with them in the boil. I love the way the beer changes with time. At first it's like an India Brown Ale, and over the course of several months it keeps getting maltier and more balanced. It's perfect, yet different, no matter when you drink it.

+1 I literally could not agree more. That is the beauty of india brown ale, or highly hopped american brown ale. When a standard IPA loses it's hoppy aroma and flavor, you are left with overbittered pale ale, with a india brown, the maltiness and roastiness just become more evident and start to shine. I brewed a nice brown in late may, and right now I would say the balance between malt and hops is just perfect...both evident.

My browns are hopped to IPA levels typically though...and they are awesome.

Well, damn, don't know if I could handle something like that! :D

Does sound good, though ... seriously, I'm trying to go somewhat moderate here. Sort of split the difference between Moose Drool and Janet's Brown. But looks like Centennial will work great for something like that.

Thanks for the responses!

I believe that drool uses perle or something similar..not hoppy beer at all. You should also know that black patent is used in the drool. No citrus hops in that beer

I believe that drool uses perle or something similar..not hoppy beer at all. You should also know that black patent is used in the drool. No citrus hops in that beer

Yeah, I've actually made that clone. It's really great, but I'm trying to add a little more American to it. Just a little, though, since I want to save some taste buds for the Arrogant Bastard clone I'm going to make with (part of) the cake!

Hey PF,
I'm planning on doing O'Daniel's Kentucky common (slightly sour brown; small batch which I'll bottle) and i'll trade you some for your A.B. clone.
lemme know if interested and/or when the AB is done!
cheers,
wendy

Hey PF,
I'm planning on doing O'Daniel's Kentucky common (slightly sour brown; small batch which I'll bottle) and i'll trade you some for your A.B. clone.
lemme know if interested and/or when the AB is done!
cheers,
wendy

Oh, most definitely. Still need to work out that Bacon beer trade, too! Maybe this weekend or sometime early next week?

Just bottled an all Amarillo IPA a few days ago ... should be right up your alley! I can throw some of those your way, too, if you're willing to hold off drinking them for a few weeks so they can carb.

hey PaleFire--
i still got your bacon brown ale, sitting in my closet.
yooper n friend liked it :)
other beers in bottle and on tap. let me know

Back