American Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexKay

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewing a 0.5-gallon batch tomorrow. The only constraints are that I have a new roasted barley I want to try, and the beer has to ferment either at 54 or 60. I'd been thinking a bitter, hoppy (but not fruity) American stout, but I'm open to all sorts of suggestions, even off-the-wall ones:

0.6 lb. English pale
0.3 lb. Munich
0.125 pale roasted barley
0.05 lb. chocolate
0.05 lb. crystal rye

This should end me up at ~1.050 (hard to say; I'm still dialing in my process with this size batch.)

2 g each Northern Brewer (7.2%) and Crystal (2.2%) @ 60
2 g each Northern Brewer (7.2%) and Crystal (2.2%) @ 15
3 g each Northern Brewer (7.2%) and Crystal (2.2%) hopstand

W34/70

Why the lager yeast? Although I suppose you can brew a stout with a lager technique. I've just never noticed any recipes suggesting lagering. And admittedly I haven't looked at many.

Why the lager yeast? Although I suppose you can brew a stout with a lager technique. I've just never noticed any recipes suggesting lagering. And admittedly I haven't looked at many.
Garage is 54 degrees. I’ve got some dry ale yeast and a chest freezer at 60, too, so I could use Koln or K-97.

Garage is 54 degrees. I’ve got some dry ale yeast and a chest freezer at 60, too, so I could use Koln or K-97.
I don't know. Might be interesting to see what it does.

½ gallon batch! Do you bottle in pony size bottles? Even with 1 gallon batches that I use to do a lot of, I got so few bottles out of it that I had trouble making them last long enough to see the difference in a 2 weeks from bottling beer and a 2 month from bottling beer.

Those that made it to the 2 month mark were better IMO than they were when new.

If we accept the fuzzy gray line between stout & porter, there's the very tasty Baltic porter.

I'm a big fan of Northern Brewer in a stout. Minty-liscious.
A half-gallon batch of Baltic porter was yesterday's brew day! For that one, I used huskless roast grains (Carafa 3 Special and chocolate rye) instead of roasted barley. And some brown malt.

½ gallon batch! Do you bottle in pony size bottles? Even with 1 gallon batches that I use to do a lot of, I got so few bottles out of it that I had trouble making them last long enough to see the difference in a 2 weeks from bottling beer and a 2 month from bottling beer.
The fermenter is half a gallon, so the batch is probably 40-50 ounces. I used to bottle the whole thing in a single one-liter EZ-Cap bottle. Can't ask for an easier bottling day than that!

But recently I've moved from bottling to kegging. Little half-gallon mini kegs. I have this so-far-suppressed urge to make a keezer dedicated to (lots of) half-gallon mini kegs.

Latest posts

Back