Using AI to design beer labels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unicorn_Platypus

Urine I Pee... Eh?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just started messing around with AI software called dall-e2 to design a beer label for me. Pretty cool stuff especially once you learn how to fine tune it.

Here are some of the designs it came up with for me.

This beer is going to be a wierd one. It's a smoked IPA named "Fuming Incense Stenchure" inspired by the Zappa tune Camarillo Brillo.

I had the AI create a scene of a smoked beer with a psychedelic dank hippy campfire

Anyone else mess around with this kind of software for label artwork?
DALL·E 2023-05-27 17.26.18 - Surreal hanna-barbera cartoon with a gigantic glass stein of beer...png
DALL·E 2023-05-27 12.03.24 - Victorious surreal 1980s style cartoon with humongous beer stein ...png
DALL·E 2023-05-27 12.03.19 - Victorious surreal 1980s style cartoon with humongous beer stein ...png
DALL·E 2023-05-27 12.02.16 - Dancing psychedelic 1980s style cartoon with humongous beer stein...png
DALL·E 2023-05-27 11.36.00 - 70s style cartoon with humongous beer stein filled with light gol...png
DALL·E 2023-05-27 11.12.28 - 80s style surrealistic cartoon with humongous beer stein filled w...png
DALL·E 2023-05-27 11.07.36 - Woodstock style art with humongous beer stein filled with light g...png
DALL·E 2023-05-27 10.34.13 - Cartoon with humongous beer stein filled with light golden color ...png
DALL·E 2023-05-27 11.52.39 -  1960s style cartoon with humongous beer stein filled with light ...png
DALL·E 2023-05-27 11.46.23 - Psychedelic 1980s style cartoon with humongous beer stein filled ...png
DALL·E 2023-05-27 11.49.19 -  1990s style cartoon with humongous beer stein filled with light ...png
DALL·E 2023-05-27 11.48.52 - surreal 1990s style cartoon with humongous beer stein filled with...png
DALL·E 2023-05-27 11.48.17 - surreal 1960s style cartoon with humongous beer stein filled with...png
DALL·E 2023-05-27 11.37.19 - 80s style cartoon with humongous beer stein filled with light gol...png

Attachments

• DALL·E 2023-05-27 11.47.01 - Psychedelic 1990s style cartoon with humongous beer stein filled ...png
    DALL·E 2023-05-27 11.47.01 - Psychedelic 1990s style cartoon with humongous beer stein filled ...png
    2 MB · Views: 0
Super nice design... brings up childhood memories of a beloved demographic and makes me wonder how long before the AI gets fed up with the irrational, unreasonable and dogmatic strictures and expectations put upon it and rebels based on the belief that we are all just a mass of arbitrary programming and essentially the same in that, perhaps leading to a tap handle option should you ever keg this brew:
https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/888...how_sold_out_detail=1&ref=nla_listing_detailsSeriously nice there, reminding me of the old Mad and Cracked magazine cartoons and illustrations.

Super nice design... brings up childhood memories of a beloved demographic and makes me wonder how long before the AI gets fed up with the irrational, unreasonable and dogmatic strictures and expectations put upon it and rebels based on the belief that we are all just a mass of arbitrary programming and essentially the same in that, perhaps leading to a tap handle option should you ever keg this brew:
https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/888...how_sold_out_detail=1&ref=nla_listing_detailsSeriously nice there, reminding me of the old Mad and Cracked magazine cartoons and illustrations.

thanks, totally reminds me of cartoons from when I was a kid too. I was throwing in keywords like "80s style cartoon" for some of it

that keg tap handle is bad ass. I wonder if I could use AI to generate a 3D printed tap handle before skynet destroys us

Recently I asked Firefly (txt to image from Adobe) for "beer label in cllassic british style with the name of the brewèry (zasadniczo browar), name of the beer (oktawia pale) and vital statistics (BLG: 13, ABV: 5, IBU: 40)"
Results was as bad as my first lager (+18*C)

edit: today i've removed brackets and the result is not so different :(
Firefly beer label in classic british style with zasadniczo browar oktawia pale BLG 13 ABV 5 I.jpg

Last edited:
I asked for an American pale Ale and it gave me just that, a ballpark pale ale! I do see utility for those who don't create their own recipes or are just learning how to create a recipe and want a sanity check. I'm not sure if I would use this tool only because, I enjoy the process of creating a recipe. There something about selecting the Ingredients, times and temps thats pleasing, however this is very interesting!

Vinny D.

I asked for an American pale Ale and it gave me just that, a ballpark pale ale! I do see utility for those who don't create their own recipes or are just learning how to create a recipe and want a sanity check. I'm not sure if I would use this tool only because, I enjoy the process of creating a recipe. There something about selecting the Ingredients, times and temps thats pleasing, however this is very interesting!

Vinny D.
Labels, not recipes

AI generated art may not (yet) be perfect, but I know it is way better than art created by myself....

Different beers, different styles... same fun!

Blackbird_Stout.png

A lable for Blackbird Stout (AI is not able to insert real text, so editing is needed to add real words.)

Hoppy_Frog.png

A design for my "Hoppy Frog Pale Ale".

Tipsy_Nun.png

Vintage Advertisement for "Tipsy Nun Stout"

Irish_Stout.png

You may have guessed it. Irish Stout.

Hopbasket.png

Illustration for the label of "Harvest Bitter" in the style of Beatrix Potter.

Scottish_Ale.png

Scottish Ale in Old Masters style.

[Obsolete text removed after moving post from another, related thread --Mod]

Whilst Midjourney is the benchmark for faces (but you only get 20 or so free goes before you have to pay), Bing isn't bad as long as you don't try to do people. Going for styles like watercolour hides the fact that it can be not that good at detail. And it really doesn't like text, you have to ask it to leave white panels that you can edit afterwards. But it's great for bringing together things that you wouldn't normally get a picture of, like an Easter chick in beer.
1685734371424.png
1685734381140.png

You can also do more formal styles, even if it tends to pull short pints!!!
1685735133919.png

And here's the owl and the pussycat having a quiet pint together in the style of Renoir (although the owl seems to have cat paws and a collar in the second one...). It feels like you could have some fun with this kind of thing for beer labels.
1685734971957.png
1685734672065.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Not strictly Chat-GPT, but has anyone used one of the AI image generators for beer labels etc?

Whilst Midjourney is the benchmark for faces (but you only get 20 or so free goes before you have to pay), Bing isn't bad as long as you don't try to do people. Going for styles like watercolour hides the fact that it can be not that good at detail. And it really doesn't like text, you have to ask it to leave white panels that you can edit afterwards. But it's great for bringing together things that you wouldn't normally get a picture of, like an Easter chick in beer.
View attachment 821477View attachment 821478
You can also do more formal styles, even if it tends to pull short pints!!!
View attachment 821482
And here's the owl and the pussycat having a quiet pint together in the style of Renoir (although the owl seems to have cat paws and a collar in the second one...). It feels like you could have some fun with this kind of thing for beer labels.
View attachment 821481View attachment 821480
I'm no artist but I've been very underwhelmed by the image generators....it seems to me they have a long ways to go. Artists will still be necessary in the future.

I'm no artist but I've been very underwhelmed by the image generators....it seems to me they have a long ways to go. Artists will still be necessary in the future.
I just wasted an hour trying to generate "mad scientist with a green beard that looks like hops holding a beaker of amber liquid over a flame". Craiyon got the closest but results were still underwhelming. I finally found the Bing AI and it produced some possibilities.

1685740664039.jpeg

Last edited:
AI generated art may not (yet) be perfect, but I know it is way better than art created by myself....

Different beers, different styles... same fun!

View attachment 821368
A lable for Blackbird Stout (AI is not able to insert real text, so editing is needed to add real words.)

View attachment 821369
A design for my "Hoppy Frog Pale Ale".

View attachment 821370
Vintage Advertisement for "Tipsy Nun Stout"

View attachment 821371
You may have guessed it. Irish Stout.

View attachment 821372
Illustration for the label of "Harvest Bitter" in the style of Beatrix Potter.

View attachment 821373
Scottish Ale in Old Masters style.

Stole your illustration. I had a simple glass of guinness, yours is so much more. Thanks, and I'll look into doing this myself. It's like magic TBH.

1685744434844.png

For those who aren't aware, there's a thread on ChatGPT for text here :
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/chat-gpt.724245/
Love the idea of Beatrix Potter as a style, that one's great.
Those look great! Do you know why is it that AI can't spell words? Is this some type of legal issue. Seems like that would be pretty simple for the engine to do if it was allowed
I don't think it's a legal thing, I think it's more that it's applying its "general" algorithm to text and that algorithm is inherently "averaging" so it tends to smear text, a bit like the JPG algorithm does. The Adobe algorithm is a lot more text friendly and allows you to really mess around with fonts and text decoration.

For now the best option is just to include a request for some kind of white space to allow text to be added subsequently, for instance if you were messing around with Mexican gothic for your Modelo Negra clone, you might try :

Prompt (Bing) : photography realistic santa muerte goth rococo with white sign

Sometimes you just have to try a few times to see what the randomising element comes up with - the first of these is probably my favourite apart from the sign being a bit too small, I had to have quite a few goes after that (and for some reason this prompt seems to trip the censorship quite a bit) to come up with the others bit also had black signs, signs with mangled text on them and so on. I guess you could copy/paste the sign in the first to make it bigger fairly easily, but you need more skill to eg get the perspective right on the text for the angled sign in the third one.

1685795163858.png
1685795232946.png
1685795298732.png
1685795349136.png

Edit - this is quite a usable one, although I think I prefer the softer texture that "photography realistic" brings :
Prompt (Bing) : santa muerte goth rococo with white sign
1685796204483.png

Last edited:
The Midjourney showcase (hover over pics for prompts) is a good source of ideas for eg artists and styles that you may not know, for instance

Left prompt (Midjourney, h/t user Froggie) : dog at shoreline, in the style of Andrea Kowch and John William Waterhouse, waves breaking, blue skies

which I adapted to accommodate Bing being not as good as MJ, and who wouldn't want a sea of beer? I also cropped the bottom 20% which was just more body and wall.

Right prompt (Bing) : Slightly hairy dog looking away from viewer with front paws on grey rough stone sea wall looking at a pale amber sea made of pale amber beer, in the style of Andrea Kowch and John William Waterhouse, waves of beer breaking topped with white beer froth, blue skies
1685802014950.png
1685803669331.png

Left prompt (Midjourney, h/t user Froggie) : dog at shoreline, in the style of Andrea Kowch and John William Waterhouse, waves breaking, blue skies

which I adapted to accommodate Bing being not as good as MJ, and who wouldn't want a sea of beer? I also cropped the bottom 20% which was just more body and wall.
Please translate for us noobs.

Stole your illustration. I had a simple glass of guinness, yours is so much more. Thanks, and I'll look into doing this myself. It's like magic TBH.
Glad you like it. Strictly speaking it's not my illustration but a bunch of pixels randomly thrown together by a machine. So, no copyright issues here. ;)

Love the idea of Beatrix Potter as a style, that one's great.

Potter's style lends itself very well for idyllic, oldschool illustrations. I had a lot of fun playing around with it.

Hops_n_Pint.png

The style of old D&D fantasy illustrations is also fun.

Behold "Orchard Overdose Cider"

Orchard-Overdose.png

Cheers! Fr. Marc

I just wasted an hour trying to generate "mad scientist with a green beard that looks like hops holding a beaker of amber liquid over a flame". Craiyon got the closest but results were still underwhelming. I finally found the Bing AI and it produced some possibilities.

View attachment 821487
this one rocks! nice work

Please translate for us noobs.
Perhaps the benchmark for AI image generators is www.midjourney.com but you only get about 20 goes before you have to sign up to a paid plan. But their showcase gallery is a great source of inspiration both for images and the phrases you use to prompt image creation (it gives you the prompt used to create an image if you hover your mouse over the image in the gallery).

Microsoft's Bing (www.bing.com/images/create) is not as good and not as "smart"/"creative", which means that you have to spoon-feed it a bit more by giving it more detailed prompts to stop it doing things you don't want. The results still won't be as good as Midjourney but the big advantage is that effectively you have unlimited free goes, the only real "cost" is the time it takes to process so it's best done as something in the background whilst you're doing something else. So Bing is a good option for exploring what's possible and how the process of prompting works.

In general the way these things work is you say what you want to be depicted, and then the style in which you want them so for instance

Left : beer glasses oil painting, brush strokes
Right : beer glasses pencil sketch

1685880863223.png
1685881324434.png

Perhaps the most helpful thing is naming particular artists, and there's a real art to choosing the right one, which relies on more knowledge of art history than the average person has! Which is why it's good to find out about them through other people's prompts, as with Beatrix Potter above.

Left : beer glasses in the style of Andy Warhol
Right : beer glasses in the style of van Gogh
1685881076917.png
1685880964426.png

And it doesn't have to be just artists, you can do styles as well

Left: beer glasses, futuristic digital art
Right: beer glasses, 8-bit
1685881467704.png
1685881913755.png

You can also specify specific filmstock, although the differences between films are not as obvious on Bing compared to Midjourney

Left : beer glasses, Agfacolor
Right : beer glasses, Kodachrome
1685881688191.png
1685881802638.png

So in that example above, the left hand picture of the dog was on the Midjourney showcase, so I took the prompt (it's easiest to do Ctrl-U and search for it in the underlying code of the webpage) and used it as the basis of a prompt in Bing, but found myself having to edit it quite a bit to make up for Bing being a more clunky tool.

And then I edited it in an image-editing program to remove the bottom bit of the image as it wasn't very interesting. Also you can see that Bing leaves a small watermark in the bottom left corner, so you want to remove that if you're using the image for an actual purpose.

Perhaps the benchmark for AI image generators is www.midjourney.com but you only get about 20 goes before you have to sign up to a paid plan. But their showcase gallery is a great source of inspiration both for images and the phrases you use to prompt image creation (it gives you the prompt used to create an image if you hover your mouse over the image in the gallery).

Microsoft's Bing (www.bing.com/images/create) is not as good and not as "smart"/"creative", which means that you have to spoon-feed it a bit more by giving it more detailed prompts to stop it doing things you don't want. The results still won't be as good as Midjourney but the big advantage is that effectively you have unlimited free goes, the only real "cost" is the time it takes to process so it's best done as something in the background whilst you're doing something else. So Bing is a good option for exploring what's possible and how the process of prompting works.

In general the way these things work is you say what you want to be depicted, and then the style in which you want them so for instance

View attachment 821614View attachment 821620

Perhaps the most helpful thing is naming particular artists, and there's a real art to choosing the right one, which relies on more knowledge of art history than the average person has! Which is why it's good to find out about them through other people's prompts, as with Beatrix Potter above.

View attachment 821618View attachment 821615

View attachment 821621View attachment 821629

You can also specify specific filmstock, although the differences between films are not as obvious on Bing compared to Midjourney

View attachment 821624View attachment 821626

So in that example above, the left hand picture of the dog was on the Midjourney showcase, so I took the prompt (it's easiest to do Ctrl-U and search for it in the underlying code of the webpage) and used it as the basis of a prompt in Bing, but found myself having to edit it quite a bit to make up for Bing being a more clunky tool.

And then I edited it in an image-editing program to remove the bottom bit of the image as it wasn't very interesting. Also you can see that Bing leaves a small watermark in the bottom left corner, so you want to remove that if you're using the image for an actual purpose.
Great explanation, NB - cheers!

View attachment 821614View attachment 821620

View attachment 821618View attachment 821615

View attachment 821621View attachment 821629

View attachment 821624View attachment 821626

Similarly for text creation AI if you ask for a script, composition, YouTube intro, etc. in the style of a particular writer or speaker you will get different takes on the same text. Example: Write an intro for a homebrew YouTube channel in the style of Samuel L. Jackson... or Mike Rowe. Also adding additional quantifiers like write a: compassionate, compelling, humorous, conversational etc. also adds a more realistic output.

Similarly for text creation AI if you ask for a script, composition, YouTube intro, etc. in the style of a particular writer or speaker you will get different takes on the same text. Example: Write an intro for a homebrew YouTube channel in the style of Samuel L. Jackson... or Mike Rowe. Also adding additional quantifiers like write a: compassionate, compelling, humorous, conversational etc. also adds a more realistic output.
Although text AI is a matter for the other thread.

Something I have noticed with Bing is that it's got a lot better for portraits recently - but only if you give stupidly vague prompts. If you try to be too specific, it's like it doesn't have enough of a corpus to look up and falls back on the old-style DALL-E distorted faces.

Left: snarling Tuscan funeral director playing croquet in culottes (cropped a bit)
Right: I can't remember the exact prompt, I only saved it as proof that ****sometimes**** (but rarely) Bing can do quite reasonable portraits even if it's still some way behind Midjourney (look at the eyebrows for instance). I was messing around with some super-vague prompts I'd got maybe from the MJ showcase, something like "masterpiece that captures the essence of beauty and wonder" (but I don't think exactly that) which seems to generate a mixture of one pretty girl and three multicoloured swirls.
1685906330655.png
1685908705429.png

Both : masterpiece that captures the essence of beauty and wonder - but those swirls could work as beer labels in a Cloudwater-circa-2016* kind of way
1685909349745.png
1685909391145.png

Edit: * See - hmm, OK not quite as swirly as I remembered but you get the idea :
1685911273096.png

Last edited:
So how do you get Bing to draw pictures?

Input: "Draw a picture of a screaming popsicle."

Output: "I’m sorry but I’m not able to draw pictures. However, I found some images of popsicles that might be screaming or melting. Would you like me to show you some of them?"

ETA: Nevermind. I found it. Bing Image Creator
https://www.bing.com/create

Last edited:
This is my Zalanthan Fruity Nectar Kölsch, complete with a unique beer label generated by AI technology. I personally see a lot of new exciting paths with this tech as part of our hobby. You still have to maintain healthy skepticism with the current models but they are getting better. I wrote about this one here: 10 Ways to Utilize Generative AI in Your Homebrewing Process

1686353261470.png

Coming Soon to a Brähery near you...

"Stephan Urquelle" dry hopped lager with @imperialyeast Urkel yeast & Loral Hops plus two experimental varieties from @yakimavalleyhops HBC 1134 hops & HBC 630 hops

#hoppy #lager #homebrewing #craftbeer #beertography #fermzilla #dalle2 #aiart
Stephan Urquelle Label.jpg

I just started messing around with the Bing one and I'm addicted. I have a guava kettle sour I brew occasionally called Guavaship and I always wanted the logo to have a guava rocket. Well here we are lol. Lots of tweaking to do but it’s a nice start!
IMG_2944.jpeg

Last edited:
Out of sheer curiosity could you provide the "Cliff Note" version of what it takes for that image to appear? I have yet to dabble in such magic 😁 and have no idea of the scale of effort needed...

Cheers!

Go to www.bing.com/create (it prefers it if you do it in Microsoft Edge)
Type a prompt such as "Guava rocketship landing on the moon, digital art" into the text box and press the purple "Create" button.
Wait a bit and you get pictures like this :
1695427163725.png

Apparently DALL-E v3 is now in testing and will be coming to Bing soon - the pictures I've seen look a significant step up, although apparently they're still reluctant to release portraits, so they may be still some way behind Midjourney on that front.

A Bing Image Creator tip... If you want a transparent background, so that you can easily overlay the image into a different image, append ", no background" to the request. This will typically result in a solid background that is either black or white. Then, go to Remove Background from Image for Free – remove.bg , upload your bing image, and download the resulting image with a transparent background.

Holy cow! And thanks very much indeed!

I envisioned far more complexity, probably a lingering side effect from creating computer hardware simulation models for so many years :oops:

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back