Using a Counter Flow Chiller as a heat exchanger for mash temperature control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Climb

Reaction score
Just doing some brainstorming on how to reduce brewing equipment or have a device perform multiple functions. Along this line of thought; has anyone used a Counter Flow Chiller (CFC) or a plate chiller as a heat exchanger for mash temperature control instead of a HERMS coil or RIMS setup? It seems to me that this could work. Thoughts?

The concept of running your mash through the same exchanger you'll chill your wort with makes me nervous. I'd also be worried about clogging it up if you don't vorlauf really well first.

I dabbled in this concept with my immersion chiller on a few brews, it was pretty hard to regulate with gas. I now use a cooler with a PID controlled heating element and a stainless wort chiller as my Herms. My mash temps are always consistent the entire mash.

My Chilling is done with 2 25 ft counter flow chillers running simultaneously.

I love the idea of having less equipment but I also love ease of use and CIP, so that makes some extra equipment better for me.

Ben

Back