Used kettle find, should I look into it more?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evilhomer

Reaction score
I happen to be in the market for a 10 gallon kettle. Came across the one below for $25. Looks like it's seen a lot of action, think it could be worthwhile?

My guess is it's a well used turkey fryer, more then likely a cheap thin one. Ad says it's 14x14"

05eca410.jpg

Negative. You could get a brand new one of those for not much more money.

I bought one just like that at Home Depot this weekend for $89. It is a decent pot with a basket. I plan on using the basket in conjunction with a fine mesh bag for brew in a bag. Mine has the "do not remove this sticker" on the side as the one pictured.

It will be much easier to hike up the basket post-mash to drain and sparge.

I don't think it is a bad price though.

No, the pot itself was $89, it came with the basket. Mine is 42 quart.

It is made by Brinkman.

I don't know the gauge, it weighs a lot though.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...logId=10053&ci_sku=202039055&ci_src=14110944&

The Brinkmann Aluminum Boiling Pot with 42 qt. Strainer Basket is crafted with heavy-gauge aluminum to help ensure strength. The strainer basket features large handles for a secure grip and can be used for draining and frying.

Can be used for frying and draining
Heavy-gauge aluminum construction
42 qt. capacity
Large handles for easy gripping
Includes boiling pot, lid and aluminum strainer basket
MFG Brand Name : Brinkmann
MFG Model # : 812-9142-S
MFG Part # : 812-9142-S

There's a whole turker fryer setup at my local thrift store for $35.

I bought two turkey fryer setups a year or two ago, one for $45 (brand new on eBay) and and the other for $35 (on CL - couldn't tell that it was used).

14" x 14" is about 9.3 gallons.

Yeah I got a brand new 7.5 turkey fryer on craigslist for $30 but it's a little tight for a 5 gallon batch. So I'm looking for a 10 gallon pot to go on the burner.

You could probably pull that off with Fermcap. It would be tight, but it's possible. Why not give that a shot before buying another kettle?

Yeah I got a brand new 7.5 turkey fryer on craigslist for $30 but it's a little tight for a 5 gallon batch. So I'm looking for a 10 gallon pot to go on the burner.

Yea I would go ahead and do that. I have an 8gal and really have to be careful with hot break. Like he said, fermcap may help, but on my big beers, my 6gal pot for water isn't enough.

Aluminum:
http://www.instawares.com/stock-pot-aluminum-40.alsksp007.0.7.htm

SS:
http://www.instawares.com/40-qt-stainless-steel-stock-pots.7973.5.4773.0.0.8.htm

They used to have orders over $50 shipped free, looks like it's $75 now.

I've done multiple batches in the 7.5 already, I just want something now that I don't have to watch so much.

Damn that's dirt cheap, do I need a sams membership for those? I found some kegs in my area for $45. Not sure if I'll be able to get one of those yet.

That looks like an industrial kitchen pot, so it could be a thick gauge aluminum, and would hold 9 gallons. It may be worth a look, as it should clean up nicely given a little effort.

I picked up something similar to that for $50 over the summer from a restaurant that was going out of business. Mine holds 12 gallons. It's a thick gauge AL pot that had also seen alot of action. Mine was used to make chicken soup 3X/week. It cleaned up fine, and has served me well. The thicker gauge stuff is nice. I installed a weldless bulkhead and use it as my HLT. BK is a keggle ($30 craigslist find). I'd go for it if I were you. Just my $.02

I installed it as low on the kettle as possible- right where the curve meets the sidewall. I'll take a pic when i get home tonight and post it. I positioned the valve under the handle, to make it easier to move the kettle around when needed (that way the valve wont bang into my body when/if I lift the kettle).

14x14" gives a volume of 9.3G.

But at $25, it's still a deal in my opinion. Sure, you could hold your breath until the magical stainless steal hobbit comes along and farts you a gold plated one. (Can you gold plate SS? Metallurgists... FIGHT!) Or you could just pick this one up because even dinged up it's a good deal and you can probably resell it for the same price if you decide you don't want it in the future.

I just posted the photos in my gallery, but here they are too..
The kettle is 1/4" thick, 16" across and 17.5" deep. If I could do it over again, I think I could have gotten it about 1/4" lower than I did. The valve sits just under an inch off the kettle bottom. It's an HLT, so no huge worries. I haven't brewed any wort in it, but I suspect it would be useful when I use pellet hops- the valve is high enough that if I let it settle down while it cools, I could draw off the valve to my carboys without much sediment finding it's way to the primary. Maybe a trial for kicks is in order...:)

2480-inside-hlt-inside-hlt-valve-sits-just-under-inch-off-bottom-kettle-i-could-have-positioned-about-1-4-lower-hindsight.jpg

<p>
2479-outside-hlt-i-positioned-valve-under-handle-make-less-likely-bang-valve-against-my-body-while-lifting.jpg

Back