Us-05 vs ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tex60

Reaction score
I have a extract recipe that is pretty simple

Northwestern Gold LME 6#
DME 1#
Nugget hops 1 oz at 50min
Warrior hops .5 at 10 min
So my question is what other yeast might produce good results? I'm about to do this recipe with dark LME and dark DME wondering if I should try a different yeast ? I've been brewing for a while but still learning.

Well making the beer dark will make it entirely different beer. S-05 is just a dry version of an american yeast. America yeasts tend to be very clean and not add much to the taste.

You could use S-04 or another liquid English yeast if you want it to taste more eastery.

You could use a Wyeast California Lager yeast if you'd like something like a steam beer (hybrid lager).

Liquid yeast will have more options and I'd suggest looking on Wyeast or White Labs web sites to see what they have. S-05 is a great yeast though and very easy to use.

Wyeast 1332 - Northwest Ale is a favorite of mine. contributes a hint of tartness that i find goes well with pales and IPA, particularly the citrusy ones.

If you're a relatively new brewer, and you won't be making a starter, stick with the dry yeasts.

US-05 is a great yeast, and being highly attenuative, will help chew through some of the extract that other yeasts might not fully ferment. You've got a good chance of hitting a more reasonable FG with this.

S-04, if you're going for more of an English ale, is also a great yeast -- but the hopping schedule you have is decidedly American with all that Warrior. S-04 will still make this a very tasty beer, though.

Nottingham would be a decent substitute for S-04 as well -- very clean, especially if you keep the ferment cool, but not as hyper-attenuative as US-05.

Regarding the recipe, other than "beer", what exactly are you going for with this batch? Giving more detail about your target flavor profile might help us tweak both the recipe and the yeast selection more helpfully.

The original recipe turns out a nice pale ale similar to a Geary's Pale Ale, I did a variation of this beer recently where instead of 5 gal of water I had 5 gal of Maple Sap straight from the trees in Maine frozen then transported back from my snowboarding vacation sap itself is not sweet and it added a bit more bitterness making it a bit more like an IPA but at the very finish you got just a hint of the maple but not sweet. Just the other day I was at the HBS and I had the gold LME in my hand and saw the dark next to it and decided I would try substituting dark for gold. As a rule I try to always keep some of the original recipe on hand because .... Well ... I like it, it's fast and easy to brew. Soon I will have the components to do all grain and I will find an all grain version or I might just stick to that one, but I do brew other stuff as well, I just haven't figured out just yet what the flavor influence the yeast has. I was browsing some recipes and was thinking through the ingredient lists and the flavors and each one had different yeasts and I realized my lack of knowledge on the flavor influence of yeast.

I type this on the iPhone app so if there is misspelled words or wrong words my apologies

If you're starting out, unless you can cold crash, fine, keg or condition for longer I wouldn't go for US05 due to the slightly poor focculation. Nottingham is probably the easiest dry yeast, specially if you don't mind some fruity esters being present. What about Mangrove Jacks Pacific North West?

JKaranka said:
If you're starting out, unless you can cold crash, fine, keg or condition for longer I wouldn't go for US05 due to the slightly poor focculation. Nottingham is probably the easiest dry yeast, specially if you don't mind some fruity esters being present. What about Mangrove Jacks Pacific North West?

I've used Nottingham and had great results, but I've seen it posted here a number of times that you gotta keep it below 68 to avoid off flavours. I kept mine low (62-64) and had no problems, but if temp control is a problem, it might not be your first choice.

Try 3787 Trappist high gravity. It works great at high temps and at low gravities. Also a great intro to Belgian styles.

For this recipie it would yeild a brew much like NB's Patersbier.

So let me ask this does the yeast make a big difference in the taste of the beer if every thing else is the same? I was sitting here thinking if the US05 is a good yeast for this beer then maybe I should go in a different direction and do a series of batches with different hops. Scientific approach.

Brewskii said:
Try 3787 Trappist high gravity. It works great at high temps and at low gravities. Also a great intro to Belgian styles.

For this recipie it would yeild a brew much like NB's Patersbier.

I will check this out and do some research (taste tests) great excuse to drink more beer.

My buddy and I have brewed several batches where we kept the same yeast, but we only changed the hops. That way we could see how much flavor each type of hops contributed...

Now we have a temperature controlled setup, and he has chosen to go with Northern Brewer hops for the consistent hops in our next two brews, but we will change yeast for each of these. We got some yeast from a local brewery, which we will need to figure out what it actually is. And we also bottle harvested some Pacman yeast from some Brutal IPA bottles. I expect both of these yeasts are going to be clean, but we're definitely also interested in seeing how much change a different type of yeast will create.

Homebrewing is so scientific!! ;)

Tex60 said:
So let me ask this does the yeast make a big difference in the taste of the beer if every thing else is the same? I was sitting here thinking if the US05 is a good yeast for this beer then maybe I should go in a different direction and do a series of batches with different hops. Scientific approach.

Yes, the yeast can make a big difference.so etching like US-05 is considered very clean, meaning as long as its it's ideal temp range, it shouldn't really impart much of a flavours. English yeasts will produce some fruity esters, while Belgium yeasts can impart a lot of flavours, with strong banana and clove esters, depending on the strain. There is a lot more to it than that obviously, and I haven't experimented much with them myself. If you have the opportunity to do something like that, I'd definitely say to go for it, it's probably the best way to understand the different ways yeast can impact a beer.

If you're a relatively new brewer, and you won't be making a starter, stick with the dry yeasts.

US-05 is a great yeast, and being highly attenuative, will help chew through some of the extract that other yeasts might not fully ferment. You've got a good chance of hitting a more reasonable FG with this.

S-04, if you're going for more of an English ale, is also a great yeast -- but the hopping schedule you have is decidedly American with all that Warrior. S-04 will still make this a very tasty beer, though.

Nottingham would be a decent substitute for S-04 as well -- very clean, especially if you keep the ferment cool, but not as hyper-attenuative as US-05.

Regarding the recipe, other than "beer", what exactly are you going for with this batch? Giving more detail about your target flavor profile might help us tweak both the recipe and the yeast selection more helpfully.

I find posts like this are always good to come back to. Makes me want to do a double batch next weekend and split for 2 of the yeasts.

Back