Upcoming fermentation chamber build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaeger

Bridge four
Reaction score
Problem: how to control fermentation temps.
Solution: use a fridge or chest freezer with a temp controller.

My neighbor was kind enough to give me his old chest freezer. Now, I'm not the kind of guy to knock free.99, but it's a small one. It'll hold one 6 gallon fermenter, which won't do for me. I regularly brew in 10 gallon batches (my friends, family and coworkers keep asking for mead, what am I to do, deny them?). After asking the internets about turning it on its side to build horizontally and finding this impossible, I was at a loss for what to do.

Problem: how to ferment multiple batches with a small chest freezer.
Solution: if unable to build horizontally, build vertically.

Let me preface this by saying that I'm not a structural engineer, nor do I know any. This is the initial thoughts for you all to pick apart.

With the chest freezer as a base, the plan is to remove the lid and add a 2x4 collar like you would for a keezer. The wide sections will be approximately 20.5" and the long front and back sections will be approximately 76.25". Using 4x4's as legs, I'll make 24" long sections for my fermenters to sit on. The bases for the sections will be made from 1" plywood with appropriate cross bracing for strength and stability.

The top section will be one giant box with 4 doors. One for each section and two for the middle, in the event I need to get into the fridge. Total size will be 60.75" high and 76.25" long. The box will be insulated and holes will be drilled in the 2x4 collar for any wiring needed. Ideally, this will allow me to make 10 gallons at a time, possibly 15, should I be able to utilize the space within the freezer as well.

Let me know if anyone has any experience doing something like this or knows of any similar builds. I'm basically ballin on a budget space wise, so this (theoretically) works by giving me storage space under each section as well as a place to hang things on the sides and a shelf on top for light items (nutrients and such). I've attached a basic plan that I drew up while I was thinking about it.

Let me know what you guys think.

Attachments

• 20190211_004912.jpg
    20190211_004912.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 158
Last edited:
You can skip all the carpentry work and ferment in corny kegs. You should be able to fit 2 in the deep part of the freezer and still have room for another fermenter.
Used kegs will probably be cheaper than the wood, insulation and hardware you'll have to buy if you go with your original idea.

Problem: how to control fermentation temps.
Solution: use a fridge or chest freezer with a temp controller.

My neighbor was kind enough to give me his old chest freezer. Now, I'm not the kind of guy to knock free.99, but it's a small one. It'll hold one 6 gallon fermenter, which won't do for me. I regularly brew in 10 gallon batches (my friends, family and coworkers keep asking for mead, what am I to do, deny them?). After asking the internets about turning it on its side to build horizontally and finding this impossible, I was at a loss for what to do.

Problem: how to ferment multiple batches with a small chest freezer.
Solution: if unable to build horizontally, build vertically.

Let me preface this by saying that I'm not a structural engineer, nor do I know any. This is the initial thoughts for you all to pick apart.

With the chest freezer as a base, the plan is to remove the lid and add a 2x4 collar like you would for a keezer. The wide sections will be approximately 20.5" and the long front and back sections will be approximately 76.25". Using 4x4's as legs, I'll make 24" long sections for my fermenters to sit on. The bases for the sections will be made from 1" plywood with appropriate cross bracing for strength and stability.

The top section will be one giant box with 4 doors. One for each section and two for the middle, in the event I need to get into the fridge. Total size will be 60.75" high and 76.25" long. The box will be insulated and holes will be drilled in the 2x4 collar for any wiring needed. Ideally, this will allow me to make 10 gallons at a time, possibly 15, should I be able to utilize the space within the freezer as well.

Let me know if anyone has any experience doing something like this or knows of any similar builds. I'm basically ballin on a budget space wise, so this (theoretically) works by giving me storage space under each section as well as a place to hang things on the sides and a shelf on top for light items (nutrients and such). I've attached a basic plan that I drew up while I was thinking about it.

Let me know what you guys think.
I also do 10 gallon batches and recently built a ferm chamber from an old dorm fridge. The materials alone were over $100 plus the temp controller. Just fyi before you pull the trigger. An important consideration is how you will get your fermentors in and out. I didnt use a chest freezer for this very reason. Instead i use a chest freezer for lagering.

Cantina, I plan on building above the freezer. This will allow me to rack from one fermenter to another (or a keg in the future) without having to move the primary vessel. As far as cost, I already have materials on hand from other household projects and really just need another sheet of plywood and some insulation.

Madscientist, after seeing your post, I looked into fermenting in kegs. Counting the materials I already have, it would be a bit more expensive at the moment to get used kegs and ferment in there. The benefit would be that I would then have kegs for whenever I upgrade to kegging.

I appreciate the replies

Cantina, I plan on building above the freezer. This will allow me to rack from one fermenter to another (or a keg in the future) without having to move the primary vessel. As far as cost, I already have materials on hand from other household projects and really just need another sheet of plywood and some insulation.

Madscientist, after seeing your post, I looked into fermenting in kegs. Counting the materials I already have, it would be a bit more expensive at the moment to get used kegs and ferment in there. The benefit would be that I would then have kegs for whenever I upgrade to kegging.

I appreciate the replies
I can definitely see an advantage to racking from above. Just consider lifting 60-80 lbs to 30" off the floor. As far as temp control inside your chamber, make sure you have adequte fans to circulate the cold air which will want to settle into the low point (back into the keezer). Consider adding casters ($4-$5 each at harbor freight) so you can shift it around a little if needed. Also, i highly recommend thermowells to control the temp of your chamber with the beer itself. My internal temp swings are 10-15 deg but the beer doesn't even change 1 deg. Since your fermentors are on opposite sides you will want a heat source which warms both sides equally if needed (if u want ales in winter). Lastly, consider a smooth surface that cleans easily like this formica board. It also helps when sliding fermentors in and out.
fda221e9-05a3-44db-9071-a63e5d0ee166.jpeg

Try to think of some ways you can use your interior keezer space to say cellar beers for aging or grain and hop storage. Its a lot of space. The freezer has a lot more chilling power than u actually need and that area will be colder then the fermentation area above.

Thanks for the advice. I hadn't thought of putting it on casters, and the SWMBO might like that idea. Currently I'm running a test with my inkbird 308 to get the temp fluctuations dialed in (better to test on water than on beer/mead). Once I build the chamber I'll run the test again with 2 vessels to check temp consistency and figure out how many fans I need and where to put them for maximum effect.

Thanks for the advice. I hadn't thought of putting it on casters, and the SWMBO might like that idea. Currently I'm running a test with my inkbird 308 to get the temp fluctuations dialed in (better to test on water than on beer/mead). Once I build the chamber I'll run the test again with 2 vessels to check temp consistency and figure out how many fans I need and where to put them for maximum effect.
I built a simple dolly under my ferm chamber and lagering keezer. I love being able to precisely position them as needed.

You may have already looks into this but if you are still interested in the horizontal build...I did see a post somewhere (with pics, may have not been here) of the compressor in a fridge or freezer that was rotated just for this purpose.

Essentially unmounted it, rotated to the needed position and remounting. It appeared to involve very little careful bending of the coolant lines. Everything else was left as is.

Thanks for the replies.

Bleme, I looked at the post you linked and it seems interesting. Did u ever get it looked at and/or fixed? I'm hoping to accomplish the same thing on a slightly larger scale.

Brewinspector, i saw a few different posts on a few different forums about either rerouting or augmenting the cooling lines/system to work for multiple fermenters. After giving it some consideration I've decided that, A) I'm not that confident in my diy skills to try and pull something like that off and B) I don't want to potentially ruin this freezer, as it was free and there's no money in the brewery budget for a replacement.

Ok, update on the planning phase.

The SWMBO, who also signs the general work permits for the brewery, has refused to sign said permits due to both budgetary constraints and size requirements. So I have a new round of questions for those of you who have keezers. I've noticed that almost nobody insulates the wood they use for the collar of the keezer. At what height does the lack of insulation become a concern?

My new plan is much like the old one, only it involves going straight up. My thoughts were to build a collar about 24" high (two 2x12 boards connected with flat brackets and expandable foam insulation between them) around 3 sides with a 2x4 at each corner (from the floor to the top of the collar) for added support. I'd put the lid back on to save on building a top for it and put a pair of doors (or a single large one) on the front for ease of access.

If my measurements are correct, that would allow me to fit 2, possibly 3 bucket fermenters or 2 6.5 gallon fermonsters.

Do you think the wood will insulate well enough or should I build with 2x4s on the corners and 2x2s as studs, cover with 1/4" plywood and insulate? I looked around the other day and found 8 2'x2' sheets of pink extruded foam board I had for the model railroad (which is so far on the back burner it could fall at any moment) that I could use as a starting point for the insulation. We here in California don't have easy access to the 4x8 sheets of the stuff and I hate the silver-lined crap that flakes apart like popcorn.

Thanks

Bleme, I looked at the post you linked and it seems interesting. Did u ever get it looked at and/or fixed? I'm hoping to accomplish the same thing on a slightly larger scale.
I still haven't gotten it looked at. It is currently serving as storage for brew gear but if I ever need room for a second fermentor, I can just add ice. I'd probably stick some calcium chloride in there too.

Back