New fermentation chamber is too small. Should I replace it or keep it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyrub42

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Long story short: new chest freezer was delivered yesterday, and the 'hump' inside is larger than I was told, so my fermenters only fit when squeezed together to the point that the ridge of the hump actually dents the plastic side of one of them. They're both in contact with the walls of the unit, leaving me worried that they won't be cooled evenly.

However, so far they seem to be doing great, and it struck me that jacketed cooling on a fermenter isn't all that much different.

I have the option of replacing it with a larger unit or keeping it as is, but I need to decide quickly. Just wanted to get your opinions on this. I'll attach photos for reference (the line going between the fermenter is my temp probe btw) Thanks 🍻🍻🍻

Attachments

• 20240113_122143.jpg
    20240113_122143.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240113_122152.jpg
    20240113_122152.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Hi everyone!

Long story short: new chest freezer was delivered yesterday, and the 'hump' inside is larger than I was told, so my fermenters only fit when squeezed together to the point that the ridge of the hump actually dents the plastic side of one of them. They're both in contact with the walls of the unit, leaving me worried that they won't be cooled evenly.

However, so far they seem to be doing great, and it struck me that jacketed cooling on a fermenter isn't all that much different.

I have the option of replacing it with a larger unit or keeping it as is, but I need to decide quickly. Just wanted to get your opinions on this. I'll attach photos for reference (the line going between the fermenter is my temp probe btw) Thanks 🍻🍻🍻
Another option would be to get some sort of wire grate that will support them, span it over the top of the hump and something on the other side to support it. Added benefit is that you do not have to lower them as far or lift from as far down.

Or just return it and get something bigger..

Another option would be to get some sort of wire grate that will support them, span it over the top of the hump and something on the other side to support it. Added benefit is that you do not have to lower them as far or lift from as far down.

Or just return it and get something bigger..

Cool idea, but not enough room for that, either unfortunately (not tall enough)

If you're not happy with it now, you won't be happy with it in the future. Fix it now before you spend too much time trying to make a bad situation better. A hard lesson I've learned and implemented many times over the decades.

Honestly at this point idk whether or not to be happy about it, because I'm really unsure about whether the cooling dynamic is actually a good or a bad thing. The way they are now, they're being cooled by touching the walls directly instead if the walls cooling the air and the air cooling the fermenters. At first that seemed like a bad idea but when I thought about it I was really unsure, so I made this thread to ask all of you what you think 🙂

That's just too tight. I don't like it being that tight, but it's yours, not mine. Looks like you'll be in for a little bit of a fight anytime you want to have 2 in there. You're also.damaging and weakening the fermenters every time you fold them in.

That's just too tight. I don't like it being that tight, but it's yours, not mine. Looks like you'll be in for a little bit of a fight anytime you want to have 2 in there. You're also.damaging and weakening the fermenters every time you fold them in.
Yeah weakening them was also a thought. I do r and d for commercial brewing, so it's basically always two fermenters each time 😥

Since it is new, call supplier and tell them it is smaller than you thought. If they can deliver a bigger one and take this one back and you pay the difference?

Yeah that's an option. I'm just trying to find out of people actually think this way is better. Seems like no one is thinking that lol

The way they are now, they're being cooled by touching the walls directly instead if the walls cooling the air and the air cooling the fermenters.
That by itself is not bad, think of jacketed fermenters, the wort is touching the inner side of the mantle. It's much more efficient, especially with larger vessels.

You're also.damaging and weakening the fermenters every time you fold them in.
I agree, the constant deforming is not good, probably the worst in the area where the side meets the bottom and shoulder areas.

I'd get a larger unit. And while at it, probably a much larger one, future proofing the setup.

That by itself is not bad, think of jacketed fermenters, the wort is touching the inner side of the mantle. It's much more efficient, especially with larger vessels.

I agree, the constant deforming is not good, probably the worst in the area where the side meets the bottom and shoulder areas.

I'd get a larger unit. And while at it, probably a much larger one, future proofing the setup.
Yeah that's exactly what made me stop and think that this might actually not be a problem.

The fermenter stress isn't too much of an issue since the fermenters are like 15 bucks and it's only stressed at one point in the middle of the side wall, but it does give me quite a bit of trepidation. Thanks a lot!

I guess the next step is to see just how annoying it will be to exchange

You’d probably run into the same issue with a larger freezer, where there’s room for another FV. The compressor hump is a common problem. To get around it, add a collar to the freezer. Although if you have space for a slightly bigger freezer and it’s an option to return this one for an exchange, I’d probably do that. It’s always nice to have some extra capacity available, just in case.

You also may want to put straps or webbing around the fermenters, to be able to lift them out. They can get very slippery from condensation, almost impossible to grab and hold onto when removing them. That will need some extra space too, just to maneuver.

“Hello? Hi. This is too small. Do you sell walk-ins?” :mischievous:

Also if you add a collar, make sure to insulate it well, and consider a hoist with a spreader bar to help lift things in and out. It’ll save you back.

You also may want to put straps or webbing around the fermenters, to be able to lift them out. They can get very slippery from condensation, almost impossible to grab and hold onto when removing them. That will need some extra space too, just to maneuver.

These are 30l PET fermenters with screw-on lids with handles. I honestly wouldn't trust myself with glass for exactly that reason lol. I'm 'that guy' and would absolutely end up dropping one and ending up with a leg full of stitches and a floor full of beer 😅

Maybe it's in your plan to add a venting system, but my freezer gets nasty inside when all the offgassing from is contained in the freezer.

Before my next go with the freezer I'm changing to a blowoff catch can that vents through a small tube that exits the freezer through a drilled hole. Some just run it under the seal my mine has very thin seal so that approach doesn't work for me (and no desire to build a collar).

Maybe it's in your plan to add a venting system, but my freezer gets nasty inside when all the offgassing from is contained in the freezer.

Before my next go with the freezer I'm changing to a blowoff catch can that vents through a small tube that exits the freezer through a drilled hole. Some just run it under the seal my mine has very thin seal so that approach doesn't work for me (and no desire to build a collar).
Reuse old Whitelabs yeast vials (or buy some PET bottle blanks or whatever they’re called) then add some carb caps. Connect up with the keg/FV inside.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/thread...at-lessons-did-you-learn.696502/#post-9188187
Use a small dehumidifier too. Mine is usually powered when controller switches to ‘heat’.

IMG_0417.jpeg

I think I'm going to get a 1 gal Fermonster and use that for the catch can/venting system.

yeah build a collar or build a chamber around it or use it as a cooler to cool water that you can pump into a coil inside the fermonster

For the record, I've decided to keep the tight-fitting chest freezer. Both fermenters ended up getting an equal amount of contact with the cooling coils, and temp control for this fermentation was actually absurdly good. I removed them to make sure the freezer and PET fermenters weren't getting visually damaged and everything looks good. If the worst case is that I have to replace a PET fermenter every few months I feel like that's OK given that this ended up being an accidental improvement in temp management. Also interesting that the cooling coil was near the bottom in this unit and goes below the hump. Terrible design for a freezer but for my purposes it's fantastic as the coil exposure is even all around

***also the larger unit was almost double the price and would have taken up a lot more space***

Latest posts

Back