Unpasteurized Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerthoven

Reaction score
I have 5 gallons of fresh unpasteurized cider. Should I be worried about wild yeast and bacteria? Do I need to treat it with anything before I can use it to make hard cider?

I have a packet of Red Star Montrachet wine yeast that I was planning on pitching (ala EdWort's Apfelwein). Any other recommendations for cider?

you can use crushed campden to ward off baddies....i think its 1 per gallon...i think

As for yeast, the cool thing about cider is you can do damn near anything with it...I listned to the brewing network show on cider and thats basicly what I got...do whatever you want

if you really want you can let the natural yeasts in the cider take over.

I don't usually use Campden but if you are worried about the possibility of the wild yeast just add 1 crushed campden tablet per gallon and wait 24 hours before pitching your yeast. The Montrachet will be fast and should be ready in about 4 to 6 weeks. It will ferment dry!

I have my first batch of cider going right now (1 gallon batch), and I just figured that the yeast I'm pitching was going to thoroughly overwhelm any yeast that's already present.

Back