Underpitch causing sulphur/fart smell? Please help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawn_kiebawls

Lawncare and Landscaping enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had a batch of cider in primary for 3 days now with barely a bubble in the airlock. I was starting to get worried about it so I took the bung off so I could see inside (speidel fermentor, opaque plastic). There are a FEW bubbles ontop and there was positive pressure in the airlock so I took a whiff and about puked.

Here was my process:

Thawed out 7 gallon jugs of orchard juice (OG 1.050)
Poured 6.5 gallons into a sanitized Speidel fermentor (reserved .5 gallon for a starter)
Added 6.5 Camden tablets to fermentor
About 5 hours before pitching I added Yeast Nutrient, Yeast Energizer and Pectic Enzymes (dissolved in juice and mixed back in)
Pitched the whole starter, which was showing some signs of fermentation starting
Aerated by shaking and set to 69F in my ferm chamber

*I've never used orchard juice, pectic enzymes or camden tablets so I'm unsure if this is the root of the problem but I suspect it's just a shameful underpitch..

I didn't realize until it was too late but I pitched the yeast on its 'best by' date so I know there were very few viable cells in there and this is massively under pitched but I didn't have an option to get any fresh yeast in time. Should I go pick up a pack of S-04 and try to get this thing going and hopefully push some of the sulphur out, or am I stuck with it?

I would like to pitch some additional yeast though just to speed things up a little bit and HOPEFULLY keep some unwanted bugs from invading but am unsure if thats advisable or not. I will likely stop by my LHBS tomorrow for some more yeast anyway just to be safe..

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
If the s.g. isn't too low you may add some yeast nutrient.

I wrote a very thorough article about hydrogen sulfide, the cause of the rotten egg smell:
https://***************.com/wiki/Hydrogen_sulfide

It's only been 3 days? Sulfur is totally normal in any cider fermentation, especially that early. Give it a month and the sulfur will probably disappear all by itself. No worries, just patience is all that's really needed. I don't even add all those chemicals to the cider, it really doesn't do much if anything.

I don't even add all those chemicals to the cider, it really doesn't do much if anything.

I've never used any of these chemicals before either and I'm really wishing I hadn't this time. The last few ciders, and one apple wine I made were just store bought juice with a pitch of wlp775 and they were wonderful. Long, slow, steady fermentations that left my ferm chamber smelling like apples with tons of apple flavor remaining. This one is disheartening, especially since it's my first time using orchard juice..

Oh well, it really is my own fault for using an expired yeast packet. I was planning on serving this one next Fall so it will get plenty more time and might give me some time to try a few couple of the tests @RPh_Guy highlighted in his wiki. Hopefully this will become an ugly duckling story :)

Live and learn. But, in the meantime I'll have to get another batch of quick cider going to bridge the gap. Thanks for the words of encouragement. Cheers!

I primary for a month and then keg and age for another month. By the time August 16th (my girlfriend's birthday) rolls around, the smell is gone and the cider is good.

I had the same "problem" a few months ago, 5 days passed from pitching my yeast.
Aeration thru racking and some more yeast nutrients (Nutrivit) helped reduce the strong smell.

Bottled 3 weeks since it happened and, nearly a month later, there was still a bit tasting it, and the cider was ultra dry, nearly undrinkable.
Now, 5 months later, it's really great!! Still very dry, apple flavour is back, farts are long gone. :drunk:

Quick update: I have let it do its thing for a couple of days. We have now reached high Krausen, airlock is rockin' and my ferm chamber is starting to smell of apples instead of Rhino colon. I haven't taking a sample to see how far along it is or if there is a noticeable taste, but my hopes are high. I will probably even lower the fermentation temps to hopefully slow it down a bit and preserve as much apple flavor as possible.

I plan to rack off the Lees at approximately 80% attenuation and store in a carboy to let it finish out and condition until Fall of '21. Thanks for all the help guys. Cheers!

Back