"Turtle" Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatsleftofyou

Third Eye Pried Wide
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Turtles are one of my favorite candies and I've been toying around for some time with doing a Turtle Brown Ale. I'm brewing this up tomorrow, so just looking for some last-minute feedback. Please, if you're just going to tell me that you wouldn't drink a Turtle beer or that you don't like dessert beers, keep your comments to yourself.

Mash: 152F for 60min
7lb (66.67%) Rahr 2-row
1lb (9.52%) Munich
.75lb (7.14%) Caramel 60L
.75lb (7.14%) Caramel 80L
.5lb (4.76%) Pale Chocolate Malt
.5lb (4.76%) Chocolate Malt
1 cup pecans, toasted and chopped (per Mosher's book)

Hops:
2oz (31 IBU) Fuggles @ 60 min (might change this to Cascade or something American, not sure)

Yeast:
SafAle US-05

OG - 1.056
FG - 1.013
ABV - 5.5%
SRM - 30
IBU - 31
BU:GU - 0.56:1

I'm not looking to make an over-the-top uber-sweet beer, but something with moderate caramel, chocolate, and pecan presence. Thoughts?

I would throw some low L crystal in there, maybe even honey malt, just to make sure you have a touch of candy sweetness. That's just me. Otherwise, it sounds like it could be pretty tasty.

Not that Im any kind of expert, but since your asking...... I would mash it kinda high at like 156ish, stick with the Fuggles, and maybe find a yeast that attenuates a little less/favors maltiness. Possibly a little less chocolate malt and sub the cry60 for 20 or 40. Anyway...... good luck with the brew.:drunk:

are you concerned with roasty/coffee flavors from the chocolate malt? how bout using baking cocoa powder? i've heard that works well. good luck, sounds tasty, might take a few tries to perfect, but a turtle brew would be great.

good point. Maybe ditch the chocolate (could probably keep the pale choc). Whaddaya think?

Thanks for the ideas. I probably will mash higher since I didn't think to account for the high attenuation of S-05 (My only other option is S-04). I'll probably cut out the chocolate altogether and bump up the pale chocolate to 1lb, which is how I had it originally. I'm not sure if I'll mess with the crystal or not. I have some 10 and 40 so I may sub out some or all of the 60. It'll be a game-time decision. Thanks again, all!

Along time ago I made the AHS chocolate stout. It used unsweetened cocoa at the end of the boil. It came out fantastic. I remember the last few bottles I had were the best. I think a chocolate "nut brown" would be awesome. If you brew it, please post your recipe changes and tasting notes. Thanks J

I wasn't planning on putting actual cocoa into it. However, I'll taste it as fermentation finishes and if I feel it needs it, I'll put a little in afterward. If you think about what a turtle is, the flavor is mostly caramel/pecan and less about the chocolate.

Well 3 weeks after making this I pulled my first sample. I'd say that it's a damn good brown ale, but the pecans just barely come through. You really have to be looking for it. This definitely wouldn't win any BJCP competitions since it's closest to a Northern English Brown but is a bit too dark and chocolatey. Rather than try to fix it at this point I think I'll just drink this up and try again another day. I'd easily double or maybe even triple the pecans used. I did adjust the recipe from what I posted above, too. Final recipe is as follows:

Mash: 155 for 60 min
7lb Rahr 2-row (66.67%)
1lb Munich (9.5%)
1lb Pale Chocolate Malt (9.5%)
0.38lb Crystal 10L (3.5%)
0.38lb Crystal 60L (3.5%)
0.75lb Crystal 80L (7.1%)
1cup chopped pecans (toasted in the oven @300F for 10 mins)

Hops:
2oz Fuggles @60min - 32IBU

Yeast:
SafAle US-05

OG: 1.054
FG: 1.011
IBU: 32
SRM: 25.5
ABV: 5.3%

Oh, that actually sounds really good. I love northern English browns, but with the changes you have I think I'd really enjoy it.

I wonder if in the next version you added some victory malt along with increasing the pecans if you'd get more of a nutty flavor. My nut browns always have victory malt, for a certain nuttiness but of course not "pecans".

(By the way, when I saw the title "turtle" beer, I was thinking that you were out harvesting snappers. Glad to see you meant the candy- I was worried about you!)

Back