Feedback on first Brown Ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dukes68

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm trying to create my first brown ale recipe and wanted to get some feedback from some more experienced brewers. I am not incredibly familiar with some of the ingredients so any suggestions are welcome.

Ideally looking to have it be more in the American Brown Ale style rather than a Northern or Southern English Brown Ale. However, if the recipe is looking to favor either of the other options I am willing to change course. The ingredients listed are some that I have overstocked or otherwise need to use and don't plan on buying any additional grains or hops just for this beer.

8lb - 2 Row (72.2%)
1lb - Brown Malt (9.1%)
1lb - Crystal 60L (9.1%)
.5lb - Chocolate Malt (4.5%)
.5lb - Special Roast (4.5%)
.5oz Chinook - 60min
1oz Cascade - 15min
1oz Cascade - 0min
.5oz Chinook - 0min

Mashing around 154, OG 1.054, IBU 32

Like I said, not a lot of experience with some of these flavors so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Some maltsters Brown is very roasty tasting, others much less so. Not sure what you have access to and what you're looking for in terms of roastiness in your beer. With a pound of Brown and half pound of chocolate this recipe could be mighty roasty.

FWIW, I've recently used half a pound of Swaen Brown and no chocolate in a Brown Ale with Munich 10 as the base malt and it is the best Brown I've made.

Some maltsters Brown is very roasty tasting, others much less so. Not sure what you have access to and what you're looking for in terms of roastiness in your beer.

Haha, well that makes two of us. I was given the brown malt and it is just in a clear blastic bag with "Brown" written on it. I'd like a moderate amount of roastiness, nothing too crazy. Do you know of a way I can test out the grain to determine how much roasty flavors it will impart? Maybe I can bump back the amount of Brown.

IMO, Brown Malt doesn't belong in a brown ale. Just too roasty and dry.

What you have there looks like a decent porter or stout (though on the hoppy side for both), so if you just want to use your brown malt go for it.

But if you really want a brown ale, I'd drop the brown malt entirely, cut the crystal in half, and make up the gravity points with your base malt.

Some maltsters Brown is very roasty tasting, others much less so. Not sure what you have access to and what you're looking for in terms of roastiness in your beer. With a pound of Brown and half pound of chocolate this recipe could be mighty roasty.

FWIW, I've recently used half a pound of Swaen Brown and no chocolate in a Brown Ale with Munich 10 as the base malt and it is the best Brown I've made.

Tha

Thanks for that input. I’m working at the swaen and we try to make a difference with our products. Our roasting process is very mild And slightly longer. It is off course not ideal in terms of productivity but we think it give the soft flavor brewers are looking for

IMO, Brown Malt doesn't belong in a brown ale. Just too roasty and dry.

What you have there looks like a decent porter or stout (though on the hoppy side for both), so if you just want to use your brown malt go for it.

But if you really want a brown ale, I'd drop the brown malt entirely, cut the crystal in half, and make up the gravity points with your base malt.

i was thinking it looked pretty black too, and not very brown....

but for a stout, wouldn't he have to swap the chocolate for roast barley?

Hi all,

I'm trying to create my first brown ale recipe and wanted to get some feedback from some more experienced brewers. I am not incredibly familiar with some of the ingredients so any suggestions are welcome.

Ideally looking to have it be more in the American Brown Ale style rather than a Northern or Southern English Brown Ale. However, if the recipe is looking to favor either of the other options I am willing to change course. The ingredients listed are some that I have overstocked or otherwise need to use and don't plan on buying any additional grains or hops just for this beer.

8lb - 2 Row (72.2%)
1lb - Brown Malt (9.1%)
1lb - Crystal 60L (9.1%)
.5lb - Chocolate Malt (4.5%)
.5lb - Special Roast (4.5%)
.5oz Chinook - 60min
1oz Cascade - 15min
1oz Cascade - 0min
.5oz Chinook - 0min

Mashing around 154, OG 1.054, IBU 32

Like I said, not a lot of experience with some of these flavors so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

What you have here is a good beer - period

That being said, what you have here is more of a hybrid English brown meets hoppy dark American brown ale

If you're looking for an american brown, drop the brown and special roast and up C60 and CM a smidge

Hop pairings work well - Think about subbing the cascade for Styrian Golding, however thats a matter of personal preference

Either way, i'm sure it will turn out great - pics please

Back