Tupelo Oaked mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MightyParched

Reaction score
So I started a 3 gallon batch of mead with 6 lbs of tupelo honey, nutrients, water and yeast... I have a few oz's of medium toast French oak. How long and how much much oak should I use? I want the sweetness of the honey to be the main flavor with the oak as a subtle addition. Would soaking the oak in a bourbon or Tennessee honey overpower the honey flavor? Looking for suggestions or past experience

Tupelo mead is one of my favorites. It has a very delicate tupelo flower aroma and taste that is very, very easy to overpower and ruin. Let it age out first and see if you still think in needs oak. If you do, add 3 cubes per gallon and taste everyday. Rack it off as soon as you think it has enough. I would imagine days rather than weeks.

While I am a big fan of bourbon and orange blossom sweet mead, I would have to give a solid NO to bourbon in tupelo mead. It would completely overwhelm the wonderful tupelo aroma and taste.

Hope that helps!

In keeping the honey flavor/aroma the key point I agree with little oak and no bourbon. I appreciate the info. Thanks.

Well before you consider oak, I'd draw your attention to your own words i.e. "sweetness" of honey.

As a 2 gallon batch, using 3lb in the gallon you might have kept some residual sweetness - depending on yeast and technique,

but as a 3 gallon batch with 2lb to the gallon, I'd suggest this is likely to ferment as dry as a buzzards arse......

More honey in the ferment or get some more of the same (about a pounds should be plenty) and then stabilise the finished ferment, then back sweeten.......

Agree with FB, at least another 3 pounds of honey plus depending on how sweet you want it in the end about a pint to backsweeten. WVMJ

Hmmm good point on sweetness. My only attempts at mead were 1 gallon batches and 3 lbs of honey. Not sure how I overlooked that :-( thank you

Back