Tshirt for specialty grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

octo

Reaction score
would it be ok to use a white shirt for specialty grains steeping? I cant find a grain bag or cheese cloth anywhere. or what about an unworn sock?

Is there a hardware store nearby? Paint strainer bags work perfectly. If you can't do that, I'd use a pantyhose leg before I'd use a shirt or sock, personally.

they didnt seem to have any paint strainer bags, or know what i was talking about when i asked for them. would the color in panty hose affect it in anyway?

Not that I know of. At the hardware store just go to the paint section and where they have all the smaller hardware and stuff for painting the strainer bags are in plastic bags, usually two 5 gallon bags in a package.

If it is an item that has been worn and washed I would not because of the residual soap.
If the item is brand new and never been washed I would be VERY concerned about residual dye and chemicals on the fabric.

I rinsed a previously unwashed green kitchen towel and the water turned the color Green Koolaid

*slaps forehead* you said grain steeping. If you're just steeping grains and have another pot handy (pasta pot or whatever) just don't use a bag. Steep the grains and when you're done just pour it through a kitchen strainer.

Back