Trub Not Settling...Why? Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTate37

Reaction score
Brewing Yooper's Ruination clone today. Finally got it chilled down to mid 60s, pulled the IC, and now it doesn't seem like the trub is settling. After about an hour I've got about 3 or 4 inches of nice clear wort on top of a solid bed of trub. I used one tab of Whirlfloc at 10 minutes.

What do I do?

Nothing. Do a whirlpool before you start draining, and that might help if you are super concerned about it. Otherwise just drain it into your carboy. The Trub won't affect the taste unless you plan on aging for months, so it isn't worth an ounce of effort at this point. Same with hops - just let them go into the carboy and don't worry about it.

Next time try half a whirlfloc tab on a 5 gal batch. That's plenty. Don't know if it will help the trub settle better but you will save on whirlfloc...

Pull the chiller, stir like hell for 5 min (whirlpool) let sit for 10-20 min, then drain assuming your using a ball valve..The first .25 gallon will be hops, trub, and proteins but will be clear after that. I compensate that factor into my brewday caculations..

It's fine if the trub is in the fermenter- it WILL compact down. I get hot break and cold break in my fermenter (I have a CFC so can't avoid cold break) and it compacts down in a couple of hours. Don't worry!

I waited about another hour and nothing changed so I went ahead and transferred to the bucket. I got about 2.5 or 3 G of crystal clear wort, then it started getting cloudy. At about 5 G my auto-siphon completely clogged so I dumped one more gallon into the bucket.

I scaled the recipe up with the intention of ending the boil with 7 G total and 1 G of trub loss, 6 G into fermenter hoping for 5 - 5.5 G packaged. I'm sure it will compact some, but I can't imagine I'll get 5 G with all the junk that was transferred. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Thanks for the advice everyone! Overall it was a great brew day. Up until transfer all expected volumes were spot on and efficiency was better than anticipated.

Back