Troegs Visit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daver77

Reaction score
Took a day trip out to Hershey, PA to visit the site where some of my favorite beers are made. I wasn't surprise of how big their operation is but it did remind me just how big a player Troegs is in the craft brew industry. We didn't do the guided tour because you have to book that months in advance. Good thing they had a self guided tour in a room where you have visual access to most of their equipment.
Walking into this place you were surrounded by cool Troegs related artwork. A lot of it was Nugget Nectar inspired and done by friends of the brew brothers. There were tons of bottle cap art and sculptures that were submitted via contest entry winners. I told my wife she should definitely enter in the next one her being an artist an all.
Their merchandise shop was great so many cool T-shirts, hats and misc stuff. They also had a snack shop where the food was just great pairings with their beers. We were in for a treat because Mad Elf is the seasonal beer being served. They also had a dedicated growler filler that filled growlers all day long without any waste due to spills or foam. Check out some the pics I plan to visit again with an appointment for the guided tour.

IMG_4079_zpseaffe568.jpg

Yeast lab
IMG_4085_zps2ef2ae00.jpg

Some Fermenters
IMG_4086_zps85670dc3.jpg

Tasting room
IMG_4091_zps12ebea8f.jpg

What better that a pretzel
IMG_4094_zpsc6454168.jpg

More art
IMG_4083_zpscd6968fc.jpg

OK, Before I forget this thing right here is dedicated room. There are 2 open fermenters that have small tanks in front of them that catches over spilling of yeast at high Krausen. Essentially top cropping yeast for future batches. I thought this was the coolest thing I saw there. They use this chamber mostly for fermenting the one and only dream weaver.

IMG_4087_zps20b77dfb.jpg

Wife and I was there two weeks ago and none of that art work you showed was there. We enjoyed the food, which does go well with the beer as you said. I know most everyone just loves the Mad Elf, but it's just doesn't do it for me. I enjoyed it better in its earlier years, it's as if they over tweaked it. It's good beer, it's just that they have so many others I enjoy more.

Wife and I was there two weeks ago and none of that art work you showed was there. We enjoyed the food, which does go well with the beer as you said. I know most everyone just loves the Mad Elf, but it's just doesn't do it for me. I enjoyed it better in its earlier years, it's as if they over tweaked it. It's good beer, it's just that they have so many others I enjoy more.

While I like Mad Elf, and agree it has changed my favorites are Nugget Nectar, Dream Weaver, Dead Reckoning, Flying Moflan and Hop Back Amber!

Back