Tripel Under Pitching Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imperialipa

Reaction score
In the latest issue of BYO it recommends to underpitch your tripel.

"For 5 gallons of tripel a (2.4-3.3L) yeast starter should do the trick"

I have a 2000ml starter beaker. What would be the recommended amount of Water and DME so do a starter with considering I will buy one white labs vail or wyeast smack pack?

optimal OG is 1.040 for a starter. i would add a pint of wort (DME & h20) initially and continue to feed to grow the culture. build it up and pitch at high krausen. watch your temps, though, since underpitching can lead to your yeast crapping out during a cold night. belgians usually increase temps slowly...

i read the article, but high gravity beers and underpitching yeast can lead to a long wait for good beer.

Last week i bottle a triple which i underpitched by a lot (220bln of cells instead of ~550 for 10gal) and it took over 5weeks to ferment, FG was 1.012 (from 1.084) and it was stable for a week, it tasted fine ect but im making 10 more gal in few weeks and im pitching full amount of yeast this time

Back