Treehouse Brewing Julius Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im about a 1/4 of the way through that TH yeast thread and they use a blend of yeasts and if you were to try to grow them up, they will multiply at different rates and you will have a a beer with some 'different' flavors than to what TH has. Might not be bad though, you'll have to try it! haha

Keep reading! The best things to come out of that thread aren't the TH yeasts (which can easily be bought, so leave the dregs in the can), but all the really great beer process discussions. There ARE several peeps that have reported making outstanding NE IPAs with the blend though.

This is the ipa I made with the treehouse yeast. Not getting much sulfur like with the pale but it’s super dank which I wasn’t really going for although I do enjoy dank. Used mostly citra, centennial and a wee bit o Columbus.

Mind sharing what you did for the recipe on this one? Looks fantastic.

Mind sharing what you did for the recipe on this one? Looks fantastic.

Sure.
10 lb Great Western 2row
3lb white wheat
1/2lb honey malt
1/2lb flaked oats

Mashed at 151 for 60min

FWH-0.2oz Columbus
20- 0.1oz Columbus
0.3 oz centennial
0.2oz citra
5-0.3 oz Columbus
2oz centennial
3.5 oz citra
0-0.3 oz Columbus
3 oz citra
2.5 oz centennial

Dry hopped at high krausen (day 2) with:
0.2 oz Columbus
2.5 oz centennial
3.5 oz citra

Dry hopped again on day 6 with:
1 oz centennial
2 oz citra

Kegged on day 8
OG 1.070
FG 1.022 (not sure how this happened)
6.3%

Ive used Conan, dennys fav 50, 1318 and I like 1318. It's finicky but with the right mash temp and ferm temps it attenuated well and I like the body and fruity flavor it adds better than the only-52 Conan strain I was using.

Brewing a NE IPA this weekend with 1318. Was looking for a suggested fermentation temp and saw this post in my search.

Will be doing a single infusion BIAB mash. What would be suggested as a good mash temp and a good fermentation temp to maintain? Thanks!

My most recent batches were fermented at 64 and 68 with 1318.The 68 I am naturally carbing so I don’t have any info on that yet. The 64f has a band aid taste, but I used cbc1 to carb, so idk what caused the phenol kick. The warmer the fermentation, the more esters are created with 1318. Many ppl are in the low 70’s I think.

I BIAB and like to mash at 154 and usually end up at 1.012-1.014.

My most recent batches were fermented at 64 and 68 with 1318.The 68 I am naturally carbing so I don’t have any info on that yet. The 64f has a band aid taste, but I used cbc1 to carb, so idk what caused the phenol kick. The warmer the fermentation, the more esters are created with 1318. Many ppl are in the low 70’s I think.

I BIAB and like to mash at 154 and usually end up at 1.012-1.014.

This gives me a good point of reference. Looking at your reports, I think I'll set the controller at 68F and let it roll from there. Mashing at 154F works for me too. In addition to adjuncts, I juiced up the Cl to give me a good mouthfeel. Thanks!

This gives me a good point of reference. Looking at your reports, I think I'll set the controller at 68F and let it roll from there. Mashing at 154F works for me too. In addition to adjuncts, I juiced up the Cl to give me a good mouthfeel. Thanks!
It will be a tasty beer:mug:. Keep us posted.

What hops are you going to use?

BTW, Your profile pic makes me jealous

I usually ferment 1318 at 72-73 with my NE IPA, usually has a slight lag (18-24 hr) and then crushes to FG I’m about 2 days. Works great for those 7 day grain to keg jobs! I usually dry hop on day 2 and day 4, cold crash(ish) day 6, keg day 7. Let it hang out in the kegerator for a week and enjoy.

I usually ferment 1318 at 72-73 with my NE IPA, usually has a slight lag (18-24 hr) and then crushes to FG I’m about 2 days. Works great for those 7 day grain to keg jobs! I usually dry hop on day 2 and day 4, cold crash(ish) day 6, keg day 7. Let it hang out in the kegerator for a week and enjoy.
You find the beer improves from that week of conditioning in the keg, without negatively impacting the hop aroma and taste? I'm always in a rush to drink as soon as it carbs, but I'm not often impressed with the results, so maybe I'd be smarter to try this approach.

You find the beer improves from that week of conditioning in the keg, without negatively impacting the hop aroma and taste? I'm always in a rush to drink as soon as it carbs, but I'm not often impressed with the results, so maybe I'd be smarter to try this approach.

Yes, it allows a bit more time for everything to drop out (residual yeast, hop particles). I find force carbing takes a day or two to “calm down” as well. You’re doing something crazy if your hop aroma peaks (and falls off) that fast.

Yes, it allows a bit more time for everything to drop out (residual yeast, hop particles). I find force carbing takes a day or two to “calm down” as well. You’re doing something crazy if your hop aroma peaks (and falls off) that fast.
Cool, I'm going to give it a shot (as well as the warmer ferm temp for 1318, I usually do 66).

It will be a tasty beer:mug:. Keep us posted.

What hops are you going to use?

BTW, Your profile pic makes me jealous
Thanks! I have retired the Brewbuckets since I took the pic and added a 7G Uni tank to go with the 14G Uni (pictured), now my 3rd and final tank (7G Uni) is on the way now. I love the control these Ss tanks offer, plus they help me in my efforts to eliminate as much O2 exposure as reasonably possible!!

I went back to one of my traditional favorite hop combinations....Galaxy, Mosaic, Citra. I have played with other hop combinations and always seem to think this GMC is special. Galaxy is now available after being somewhat scarce last year, so I bought a pound and ready to brew. This is an 11G batch in my big tank, and the hop bill is pretty large.

Thanks for your support!

Last edited:
then crushes to FG I’m about 2 days.

Yeah, I have learned to watch SG closely since I plan an active fermentation (biotransformation) dry hop addition with a few points remaining. As you made a good point, I need to be on my toes not to miss the window of opportunity.

I have used a few other yeasts including Brett C for similar beers, but I have only used 1318 one other time. I remember it taking off like a rocket then as well. I call it an "over-achiever" LOL.

You really need a week or more to mitigate hop burn and let stuff fall out. If you've done everything right, even the most sensitive NEIPA should last weeks in a keg

So jealous, id kill just to try 1 can but unfortunately no way kill ever get one in the UK

I had a pint of Julius on draft at the brewery last weekend.
I’ve only ever had cans before.

It absolutely cemented its place as king of NEIPAs for me.

I bought cans about a month ago and I was disappointed. Something was off about it. Wasn't a bad beer just wasn't the Julius from the old building. Sounds like they had some issues scaling the recipe but they recently posted (I think on Twitter) they were happy with the way that specific batch came out. Sounds like they got it back to how it was. I'll have to try it again. Never had a pint there yet.

Didn't realize anyone from low o2 lived in the north east...though I guess residence doesn't come up often.

I bought cans about a month ago and I was disappointed. Something was off about it. Wasn't a bad beer just wasn't the Julius from the old building. Sounds like they had some issues scaling the recipe but they recently posted (I think on Twitter) they were happy with the way that specific batch came out. Sounds like they got it back to how it was. I'll have to try it again. Never had a pint there yet.

Didn't realize anyone from low o2 lived in the north east...though I guess residence doesn't come up often.
Yeah, this batch was absolutely divine (just a few weeks ago). Never had it draft before. You've got to give it a go!

I asked a while back on the forum if anybody was in the area, but nobody said yes at the time (that was probably a year ago). You're in Lincoln? I'm in Pembroke on the South Shore.
:mug:

Yeah, this batch was absolutely divine (just a few weeks ago). Never had it draft before. You've got to give it a go!

I asked a while back on the forum if anybody was in the area, but nobody said yes at the time (that was probably a year ago). You're in Lincoln? I'm in Pembroke on the South Shore.
:mug:

Julius and Haze are two of my favorite NEIPAs (Congress and Mettle from Trillium are up there too). Glad Julius is back to how it was. Now I can't wait for the lines to die down when they start increasing their production.

Yup, Lincoln RI.

Did trades and recived Tree House (Love Alter Ego and Very Green among the other usuals) beers before I understood how hard it is to obtain. Appreciate them more now. Absolutely top of the line. We have Pinthouse Pizza here in Austin which puts out top notch IPAs/DIPAs also...and easier to obtain.

Any of you guys who can get Treehouse seeking any UK beers like Verdant, Cloudwater or Omnipollo?

Sure.
10 lb Great Western 2row
3lb white wheat
1/2lb honey malt
1/2lb flaked oats

Mashed at 151 for 60min

FWH-0.2oz Columbus
20- 0.1oz Columbus
0.3 oz centennial
0.2oz citra
5-0.3 oz Columbus
2oz centennial
3.5 oz citra
0-0.3 oz Columbus
3 oz citra
2.5 oz centennial

0.2 oz Columbus
2.5 oz centennial
3.5 oz citra

1 oz centennial
2 oz citra

Kegged on day 8
OG 1.070
6.3%

What size batch is this?

Sure.
10 lb Great Western 2row
3lb white wheat
1/2lb honey malt
1/2lb flaked oats

Mashed at 151 for 60min

FWH-0.2oz Columbus
20- 0.1oz Columbus
0.3 oz centennial
0.2oz citra
5-0.3 oz Columbus
2oz centennial
3.5 oz citra
0-0.3 oz Columbus
3 oz citra
2.5 oz centennial

0.2 oz Columbus
2.5 oz centennial
3.5 oz citra

1 oz centennial
2 oz citra

Kegged on day 8
OG 1.070
6.3%
am I counting 24oz. of hops? jeeze

I bought the 5 gallon Great Fermentations Treehouse Julius clone. I would like suggestions for tweaking the recipe to improve it.

Any suggestions on what I can do to bring it inline with this page’s recipe?
—–
http://www.greatfermentations.com/downloads/instructions/beerkits/CaesarsTreehouseECIPAAG.pdf

10 lbs. 2-Row Brewer’s Malt
1 lbs. Golden Naked Oats
0.25 lbs. Flaked Oats
0.25 lbs. Carapils Malt
0.25 lbs. Honey Malt
1 lb. Corn Sugar @ end of the boil

mash temperature of 152° – 155°F

2 liquid hop extract shots

1 oz. Citra Flame Out
1 oz. Mosaic Flame Out
1 oz. Simcoe Flame Out

2 oz. Citra Dry Hop
2 oz. Mosaic Dry Hop
1 oz. Simcoe Dry Hop
—–

Last edited:
I did read through the entire thread ...

What is the optimal yeast blend amount and % for a five gallon batch (6 in the fermenter)?

I bought the 5 gallon Great Fermentations Treehouse Julius clone. I would like suggestions for tweaking the recipe to improve it.

Any suggestions on what I can do to bring it inline with this page’s recipe?
—–
http://www.greatfermentations.com/downloads/instructions/beerkits/CaesarsTreehouseECIPAAG.pdf

10 lbs. 2-Row Brewer’s Malt
1 lbs. Golden Naked Oats
0.25 lbs. Flaked Oats
0.25 lbs. Carapils Malt
0.25 lbs. Honey Malt
1 lb. Corn Sugar @ end of the boil

mash temperature of 152° – 155°F

2 liquid hop extract shots

1 oz. Citra Flame Out
1 oz. Mosaic Flame Out
1 oz. Simcoe Flame Out

2 oz. Citra Dry Hop
2 oz. Mosaic Dry Hop
1 oz. Simcoe Dry Hop
—–

If you believe Nate there is no Oats, Honey Malt, sugar used in Julius. I dont think there’s any Mosaic either so that kit isn’t really gonna get you close.

I did read through the entire thread ...

What is the optimal yeast blend amount and % for a five gallon batch (6 in the fermenter)?

I think I’ve done 7 different versions with some sort of the S-04/T-58/WB-06 yeast blend. I still get some level
Of detectable phenols even as low as 10% T-58, 3% WB-06 and I don’t get the added complexity that they’re supposed to add. At this point I don’t think they’re adding all the yeast at the beginning of fermentation. I’m going to try a few different processes going forward but I haven’t tried yet so no idea if they’ll work.

I have two of these kits in the freezer so it is what it is ...

Maybe I should stick with 1318 and see how it turns out.

It looks similar to Braufessor's NEIPA recipe. I've made it several times with 1318 and it's damn good. Just be sure to keep the O2 out.

So I wouldn't sweat it. No one knows the exact recipe and yeast for Julius. So just brew, drink and be happy.

I have two of these kits in the freezer so it is what it is ...

Maybe I should stick with 1318 and see how it turns out.

Here is a picture from their new facility. You don't buy huge sacks of malt like that unless it's a base malt. My guess is they are using Weyermann Pale Ale Malt.

Sorry, it's a little out of fucus..I did not have my good camera with me.

Attachments

• IMG_20180807_164407.jpg
    IMG_20180807_164407.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 415
Last edited:
I just checked out this thread and it sounded very interesting so I looked up the Tree House Brewery and I wouldn't call it tiny. Tiny is 5 to 10 barrels. It is a new and state of the art facility. Nice.

I just checked out this thread and it sounded very interesting so I looked up the Tree House Brewery and I wouldn't call it tiny. Tiny is 5 to 10 barrels. It is a new and state of the art facility. Nice.
They started out on a 15g Sabco system then moved to a 5 bbl (I think) then to a 30 BBL and they are now on a 60 bbl.

Latest posts

Back