Treehouse Brewing Julius Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heard a panel of brewers talk about keeping pH between 5.0-5.2 to "brighten" the citrus-like character from the hops. One brewer said he's experimented with a mash pH as low as 4.8.

What did the brewer who experimented with it say about results? Has anyone here actually gone this low with one of these beers? If so, how did it work?

They would have to be adding a ton of bicarb to the kettle or somewhere else if they're mashing that low as the final beer pH is rather high. Haze I sent in had a PH of 4.6. I know hops up the PH but I don't think it would be that much.

FWIW, I'm brewing tomorrow. Using mosaic powder (actual lupulin powder, not in pelletized form) for both dry hop additions. In the whirlpool tomorrow though, I'm using mosaic pellets (non-lupulin powder, just run-on-the-mill pellets) for the whirlpool. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

At a beerfest this weekend a vendor was pouring a NEIPA made with mosaic and citra cryo hops and it was my favorite beer of the night. In the past, I've always found their brews to be average at best so either they have made huge improvements in their process or this powder is magical. I'm leaning towards magic.

At a beerfest this weekend a vendor was pouring a NEIPA made with mosaic and citra cryo hops and it was my favorite beer of the night. In the past, I've always found their brews to be average at best so either they have made huge improvements in their process or this powder is magical. I'm leaning towards magic.

The mosaic powder I used definitely increased the hop saturation in the flavor/mouthfeel. However, I couldn't detect a change in aroma.

However, I brewed another IPA with citra and mosaic cryo pellets (adding them to the keg) and the throw on the aroma is crazy insane. It instantly hits my nose when it's being poured from the faucet.

I do whirlpool and two dryhops. My last batch I started normally with regular pellets and did cryo hop addition of 1oz citra/.5 mosaic/.5 simcoe in the second ( in dryhop keg). The aroma was notably amazing but I didn't notice much difference in the taste. I have a batch at day 6 now. Ive done cryo's in the whirlpool and 1st dryhop so far and will be doing second cryohop addition next wednesday.

I brewed up a version of this yesterday. I kind of combined some recipes so we'll see how it turns out.

I went with 1 oz of Columbus at 60 and then went with a combo of Amarillo/Citra/Mosaic.

I had a flameout addition of 2 oz Citra/2 oz Mosaic and 1 oz of Amarillo. I added the same amount of hops for a hopstand at 180F. And I'm planning on dry hopping with the same amounts.

I used 1318 as my yeast.

Can't wait to see how this one turns out. :fro:

I've tried searching through this thread for a more updated recipe... Does anyone have it that could share with me?

I brewed up a version of this yesterday. I kind of combined some recipes so we'll see how it turns out.

I went with 1 oz of Columbus at 60 and then went with a combo of Amarillo/Citra/Mosaic.

I had a flameout addition of 2 oz Citra/2 oz Mosaic and 1 oz of Amarillo. I added the same amount of hops for a hopstand at 180F. And I'm planning on dry hopping with the same amounts.

I used 1318 as my yeast.

Can't wait to see how this one turns out. :fro:

How'd it turn out?

How'd it turn out?

Turned out really good!

Here was the grain bill I used for it:

6.0 lbs – 2-Row
5.0 lbs – Golden Promise or Maris Otter
1.0 lbs – Golden Naked Oats
1.0 lbs – Cara Pils Dextrine
0.5 lbs – Flaked Oats
1.0 lbs – White Wheat Malt
0.5 lbs – Honey Malt

I used Maris Otter because that's what my LHBS had in stock.

Mashed at 155F.

Hops were all as I listed.

This might be my new favorite that I brew!!!

Brewing a NEIPA right now and only have the option of WLP005 or 013. Suggestions? Would either of these totally ruin the style? It's either use one, or run to the HBS right now and get White Labs East Coast Ale Yeast, or another White Labs strain (that's all they have)

Brewing a NEIPA right now and only have the option of WLP005 or 013. Suggestions? Would either of these totally ruin the style? It's either use one, or run to the HBS right now and get White Labs East Coast Ale Yeast, or another White Labs strain (that's all they have)

Does your LHB have WLP 095 Burlington Ale? That's probably the best NEIPA strain that WL offers, IMO. Pretty sure it's Conan from the Alchemist, although I don't know for certain. At any rate, it gets my vote on this one.

I'm just not a fan of 013. I had a bad experience with that guy and don't dare try again anytime soon unless I'm splitting a 10 gallon batch.

Does your LHB have WLP 095 Burlington Ale? That's probably the best NEIPA strain that WL offers, IMO. Pretty sure it's Conan from the Alchemist, although I don't know for certain. At any rate, it gets my vote on this one.

I'm just not a fan of 013. I had a bad experience with that guy and don't dare try again anytime soon unless I'm splitting a 10 gallon batch.

Might have to delay pitching until tomorrow and check if that is available. Thanks for the advice

WLP007/1098/S-04 will get you the closest to a Treehouse beer. I personally think Conan (Vermont ale) is really hard to use unless you really know how to work with. It has weird attenuation issues and doesn’t flocc at all. I’ve not heard great things about the White Labs version of it especially. I think 013 might be easier to work with as it’s less likely to produce diacetyl bombs if not treated well. Honesty the yeast isn’t all that critical it more comes down to process than anything else.

I've been ranching Imperial A04 via over-builds for almost a year and have been using it for darned near everything (except wheats and stouts) over that time. That'd be the ~120 gallons of neipa/neiipa brews I've done along with some pales.

The very first pitch was notable for over-the-top peach, but every other batch since has been excellent. I shoot for a .75~1B/ml/°P pitch rate and have no attenuation problems. I'll keep using the descendents from that one can until something goes weird...

Cheers!

Has anyone tried Nate's simple recipe he shared? I know it was discussed earlier in this thread. Is it anything close?
https://www.homebrewhedonist.com/tree-house-ipa-recipe/

I think this is the same recipe that JoeMama'sIpa championed. He was saying in another thread that it was great and as close to Julius as anyone has gotten... it was the "Julius BIAB Clone" thread in the BIAB section.

I made it once and it was really good but I don't think my NEIPA process is up to par to be able to say how close to Julius it is.

Yup however I wouldn’t recommend blending any yeasts however as no one has even come close. I’ve made three batches with different blends and you’d be much better off just using S-04 or 007 (same basic yeast) until someone actually figures out how they’re utilizing those yeasts. Otherwise you’re gonna end up with a bunch of phenols and spice in your beer. I would recommend Rahr 2-Row (maybe a little GP) Weyermann Caraforam (15%) and a smidge of C40 for a grainbill, naturally carbonating with the T-58 and/or CBC-1 to help produce that softer mouthfeel. No clue on the hops.

I tried the triple blend yeast combo from that thread. Beer is really good but a bit too spicy. It's only been a week in the serving keg though. I've been doing Citra/Mosaic/Simcoe cryohops in a 2:1:1 ratio with wheat and oats added to the grain bill. I'm going to try the simple grain bill with the amarillo citra and simcoe hops. Maybe a wee bit of centennial. Im also going to go back to 1318 yeast

Another batch of "Julius". Yum!

julius_03.jpg

Cheers!

Has anyone tried Nate's simple recipe he shared? I know it was discussed earlier in this thread. Is it anything close?
https://www.homebrewhedonist.com/tree-house-ipa-recipe/

Day 8 of that one and at 1.007 already so will move to the keg in a day or two.

Only difference was using Citra as I did not have any Amarillo.

OG was 1.065
Yeast is a new one for my LBS (Vermont Ale Yeast).

Tastes awesome already and just opening the Danby brings on some great aromas. Color looks encouraging also :)

IMG_2448.jpg

IMG_2445.jpg

Nice... Added another 3oz of dry hops to the keg...not sure it really needed that but got caught up with everyone talking about putting in max hops.

neipa-Julious.jpg

Which gave you the most prevalent perception of fruitiness? Did both have about the same level of haziness?

Haven't tapped the 1318 half yet. I have a few pours left of a Refectory Ale that need drinking to open a slot in the keezer.
That'll probably kick by Sunday night, then the direct comparo will commence :)

That said, I've brewed a lot of this clone alternating between those two strains for the full 10 gallons.
I've enjoyed them both, but I will say the 1318 has longer legs, though it may have been the beneficiary of my early ramping of LoDO efforts.
This last split batch has that going for it on both halves so the comparison should be tighter...

Cheers!

I grew up some Treehouse yeast from a Julius can and made a NEPA and an NEIPA with it. They both fermented cooler than i wanted, (low 60's) The pale is throwing out quite a lot of sulfur. Has anyone else had this problem? The IPA will be ready to drink tonight so I'll be able to report back if that one is sulfury as well.

I grew up some Treehouse yeast from a Julius can and made a NEPA and an NEIPA with it. They both fermented cooler than i wanted, (low 60's) The pale is throwing out quite a lot of sulfur. Has anyone else had this problem? The IPA will be ready to drink tonight so I'll be able to report back if that one is sulfury as well.

Check out the Treehouse yeast thread... growing up dregs from their cans will most likely make a very odd beer. I can speak from experience.

Im about a 1/4 of the way through that TH yeast thread and they use a blend of yeasts and if you were to try to grow them up, they will multiply at different rates and you will have a a beer with some 'different' flavors than to what TH has. Might not be bad though, you'll have to try it! haha

View attachment IMG_0139.jpg This is the ipa I made with the treehouse yeast. Not getting much sulfur like with the pale but it’s super dank which I wasn’t really going for although I do enjoy dank. Used mostly citra, centennial and a wee bit o Columbus.

Back