Treehouse Brewing Julius Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pH is logarithmic. A pH of 3 has 10x the acid concentration as a pH of 4. I suspect that Cantillion Gueuze is pretty acidic. According to Embrace the Funk, it has a pH of 3.4, which is an order of magnitude more acidic than "normal" beer. It may be acidic enough for the carbonation and carbonic acid to be overshadowed. Trying something more neutral may yield a measurable difference. If you leave pure water out, the pH will drop noticeably as atmospheric CO2 dissolves, the counter should be true as well as CO2 leaves carbonated beer.

I wrap a sanitized nylon bag around my racking cane/autosiphon when I put it into my carboy to rack. Otherwise, I usually clog it up or clog up the poppet. Also, I always cut off the dip tube on all of my kegs when I get new ones.

Could you try cutting off a dip tube from another keg and then sanitize it and swap it out with the old one to see if that helps? I cut off like 1/2"-1" usually.

Thanks for the advice. I ended up cutting the dip tube an inch, and it's flowing very well now. The beer is tasting much better already. Well, I cut another dip tube first which turned out to be a converted pin lock. I learned the hard way that they have ears, and don't fit. Live and learn.

Good take. I can try this with a can of Tornado I'll drink tonight. I'll report back in a week or so..

Tornado, canned on 3/10/2016, reads 4.41 fresh out of the can on my calibrated Milwaukee MW102 ph meter. Left the same sample to degas over the next week, but based on my previous measurements of Julius (4.5, 4.44), Green (4.65, 4.46), Haze (4.48) and Alter Ego (4.39), seems to be in the right ballpark.

In the latest BeerSmith podcast, Stan Hieronymus mentions (a around 21:14) that when you dry hop, you raise the pH

How high can you go with dry hops you think without it becoming grassy or vegetal? Or just do a crap load of dry hops for only a day or two?

I'm, unfortunately, getting some grassy/green flavors from my current batch. it sure is dang cloudy, and it certainly has a lot of hop flavor, but it's more grassy than juicy. I'm on day 9 of fermentation and 4 for dry hop. I'm hoping it ages out once I chill and rack

I'm, unfortunately, getting some grassy/green flavors from my current batch. it sure is dang cloudy, and it certainly has a lot of hop flavor, but it's more grassy than juicy. I'm on day 9 of fermentation and 4 for dry hop. I'm hoping it ages out once I chill and rack

I was having a similar issue. I left the batch sit in primary for about 3 weeks before crashing and kegging and it was the best batch i've made to date. I believe there to be a positive correlation between yeast surface area contact with the beer and flavor.

the biggest difference is that I temporarily moved! I'm using well water from MA, rather than water from CO or Italy. the boiling temp is different, but I am sure the mineral content is completely different. I will have to get a water report.

Haven't gone through this whole post, but love this beer. I've only been fortunate enough to have this twice. The first time being extremely juicy and bright, this most recent time (yesterday) was slightly danker and more resinous. But I was luck enough to snag 30ml, also lucky for me I have the ability to run spectrophotometer readings to determine IBUs.. Don't have the date on the can but the sample I ran came back at 58.2BUs. Thought this crowd would like to know that :) Cheers:mug:

Haven't gone through this whole post, but love this beer. I've only been fortunate enough to have this twice. The first time being extremely juicy and bright, this most recent time (yesterday) was slightly danker and more resinous. But I was luck enough to snag 30ml, also lucky for me I have the ability to run spectrophotometer readings to determine IBUs.. Don't have the date on the can but the sample I ran came back at 58.2BUs. Thought this crowd would like to know that :) Cheers:mug:

60 Ibus doesn't seem out of line for a 6.8% beer, I'm guessing there mostly late hop additions to keep the Ibus from going overboard and then prob huge hopstand and dry hop additions.

60 Ibus doesn't seem out of line for a 6.8% beer, I'm guessing there mostly late hop additions to keep the Ibus from going overboard and then prob huge hopstand and dry hop additions.

I agree. Some may think that seems low, but measured IBUs are usually much lower than estimate IBUs (via computer programs). For example Heady Topper DIPA is estimated at 120 IBU and lab tested at 75. Stone Enjoy By DIPA is also lab tested around 70ish. So this does fit pretty well for an IPA.

This is awesome! Thanks

Anyone see this recently?

BRIGHT (Double IPA - 7.8 % ABV) - Bright was created to be a clean and elegant showcase for one of our favorite hops - Mosaic! It is crafted with a simple malt bill and fermented with clean American Ale yeast to create a flavor profile that is more a function of its vibrant fresh ingredients than an expression of yeast character. Bright’s aroma is a cornucopia of citrus dank… The taste follows suit with notes of grapefruit, sweet berries, and clementine with a gentle orange rind finish. She is dry, soft, and adequately bittered resulting in a very approachable yet pungent Double IPA. We hope you find this bit of a departure as enjoyable as we do! 750 ML - $9 | 2L - $ 18 |

Since they don't mention anything about clean ale yeast in any other beer description, I would venture to say Conan may be what they are using in Julius

Also some recent observations regarding dates of Julius canning/release dates:
  • 5/5 (8 days)
  • 4/27 (13 days)
  • 4/14 (2 days)
  • 4/12 (14 days)
  • 3/29 (6 days)
  • 3/23 (12 days)
  • 3/9

Found from their blog (from 2012 mind you):
  • Julius brewed on 10/8/2012
  • Julius released on 10/25/2012
=17 days

I'm wondering if part of the haze comes from a 14-17 turnaround as well...

I've been meaning to attempt a clone, will be putting some thought into a recipe and maybe brew next weekend.

I was having a similar issue. I left the batch sit in primary for about 3 weeks before crashing and kegging and it was the best batch i've made to date. I believe there to be a positive correlation between yeast surface area contact with the beer and flavor.

it is getting a bit better as the days go by. I am not sure if the harshness that I am tasting is the hop particles or too many IBUs. if I pull a sample from the middle of the carboy, there are tons of hop particles, big and small. everything is really suspended in there!

THis is just an odd thought But an Orange Julius has milk in it like a dreamsicle. Any chance this is back sweetened with a little lactic acid?

THis is just an odd thought But an Orange Julius has milk in it like a dreamsicle. Any chance this is back sweetened with a little lactic acid?

Do you mean lactose? If so I highly doubt it.

FWIW FG was around 1.012 when I tested it.

That's interesting you bring up the use of lactose. To help get the sweetness and creaminess I thought about adding some into my IPA just to try. I know a Burial Beer in Asheville tried it in one of their beers. I found it very odd to see but when I thought about it it kinda made sense.

I have a friend that's a brewer here locally and he said on the commercial market there is some type of additive that can break down the long, complex chains of lactose. I don't think it's available to the homebrewer but could be utilized by breweries. He told me about it after he made a stout using 10% lactose in the grain bill!

I've added maltodextrine to the above galaxy gravy. She drinks like a stout! I have not used lactose but I have heard of people doing it. Research "milkshake IPA".

I really don't think Tree House is using lactose to back sweeten their beers (Julius) Now Tired Hands is doing collaboration beers with Omnipollo and the Milkshake IPAs use fruit and lactose....you can tell they are adding it into these beers.

I don't think TH uses any lactose. Due to allergies, i'm fairly certain they legally have to disclose it if they do depending on state.

Lactose itself is not a problem for allergy, only if there is any residual dairy proteins in the lactose would there be an issue. Do any milk stouts have allergy warnings?

Lactose itself is not a problem for allergy, only if there is any residual dairy proteins in the lactose would there be an issue. Do any milk stouts have allergy warnings?

Lactose intolerance is actually caused by not having enough of the enzyme lactase to break down lactose. I don't think milk stouts have warnings but neither does milk. I think its obvious

Lactose intolerance is actually caused by not having enough of the enzyme lactase to break down lactose. I don't think milk stouts have warnings but neither does milk. I think its obvious

That's why I said "lactose itself is not a problem for allergy" and then mentioned any residual levels of dairy proteins within the lactose stream, as there will be some in there - as few people would be willing to pay prices for pharma lactose to throw into beer.

And obvious is not always the best, as I have seen issues with people consuming items that any rational person would know had dairy proteins in.

How much of a difference is the final beer pH before and after carbonation?

@CHansen6 was right. Tornado pH measured 4.41 right out of the can and 4.33 after degassing. So there is a difference of ~0.1pH for this n=1 experiment.

Hmmmmm, I would have actually expected the pH to increase after degassing. That's good to know though.

i wouldn't trust the pH reading of a carbonated sample unless precautions were taken to avoid bubble formation on the electrode...

Usually, CO2 will drop the pH of a solution. It might not if the pH were very low. I'd have to think about it. I think for all beer styles i'd expect the pH to drop with CO2 addn.

I agree. The lower pH after degassing makes so sense to me. I could make some wild guesses as to why, but it wouldn't really add anything. The beer pH of 4.4ish is not in a buffering region for CO2 species. One thought was partial oxidation of the ethanol into acetic acid if it was just left out overnight or something.

I left it in the fridge to try to prevent any contamination, but either way, there IS a difference, so definitely recommend degassing before taking a pH reading as others suggest.

:off:

Has anyone done a BIAB version of this? What did you change?

I BIAB and if you need to change anything it would just be your grain bill for a possible loss of efficiency. How much you need to change the grain bill due to efficiency will be dependent on your set up.

I BIAB and if you need to change anything it would just be your grain bill for a possible loss of efficiency. How much you need to change the grain bill due to efficiency will be dependent on your set up.

Agreed 100%. I'm averaging about 60-65% efficiency with BIAB. It took a few batches to get it dialed in close. Compensate with your grain bill and you should be good to go.

I'm sure I could get more efficiency with squeezing the bag, but these nylon things are cheap. It starts to rip every time i hulk out on it.

Is it possible to ferment without oxygen, thereby eliminating oxidation of the kettle hops? I would imagine if you pitched large enough, it may be ok. Sorry if this is covered in another topic. I know that the whole olive oil thing ended up being misinformation.

Is it possible to ferment without oxygen, thereby eliminating oxidation of the kettle hops? I would imagine if you pitched large enough, it may be ok. Sorry if this is covered in another topic. I know that the whole olive oil thing ended up being misinformation.

dry yeast does not require oxygenation prior to pitching. alternatively, if you pitched a large enough viable cell count there would be no need for propagation so I guess, no.

hm. I've been tossing around the idea of using a pre-purged keg and a spunding valve to eliminate any oxygen in the fermentation process. maybe I'll split a batch and oxygenate one while doing the opposite with the other. I can't add the dry hops through a vacuum chamber, but adding them during ferment should be good enough

Back