Traveling with a chilled wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxdurhamxx

Reaction score
Hey all I am just getting started in home brewing. My question is in regards to moving a chilled wort to a new location. My current living quarters require me to use a kitchen that is a few blocks up the road from where I live. I really want to avoid having to carry all my fermentation supplies with me as I will be walking. Is it possible to complete the cooking and chilling wort stages of the process then return home to finish the racking to my fermenter? Is there anything I should be wary off (i.e. sanitation issues)?

How big of a batch are you doing?

I recently brewed a beer, racked it to my fermenter, pitched the yeast and drove the fermenter 80 miles to Boston. The beer turned out exactly the same if it didn't make the trip.

Another example is a local new brewery (Mystic Brewery) actually brews their beer at a local brewery, then (and I dont know the details, but check their website) moves the whole batch (7 barrels I think) to their fermenters where they pitch the yeast.

So, yep, it can be done successfully. Be sanitary, you should have no issues.

Don't think it's a problem. Keep worth away from bacteria in a sealed carboy as usual.

hope you can carry all that weight a few blocks. 5 gallons can get real heavy real fast

Are you talking about moving a brew kettle full or wort to your new destination? How are you going keep it from spilling? I would rack it to your fermenter onsite, and pitch yeast and bring it home.

Next Saturday is "Teach a friend to brew day" at homebrewshops across the nation, and even the world homebrewrs will be doing just that. Brewing in groups and bringing their fermenters home.

30611_387808174066_620469066_3994545_5827524_n.jpg

Some will even be using their cars....:)

DSCN2803.jpg

I am doing a five gallon batch all together, but will be doing a partial boil in a 3.5 gallon pot so weight hopefully won't be too bad. Also have a few buddys that I can always give a swift kick in the ass if the need arises. Thanks for the speedy replies all.

Back