Trash can recommendation for kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summerofgeorge

Reaction score
I've been meaning to make a trash can kegerator for quite a while. There are a lot of good examples out there but I was looking for some feedback on the trash can. I've seen some based on cheap $20 cans and others based on the heavy duty $75+ cans. Do the cheap ones hold up to the abuse from throwing kegs in and out? Is it worth going with the expensive, thick cans?

I think one of the biggest benefits of a sturdy can would be the ability to move it around while full. That's probably not that big of a deal but would be useful in some instances.

I have a cheap $12 target trash can and it works great. I actually built a mobile kegerator" around it, with rigid insulation and an actual faucet (no more picnic tap). Works great. Ive always used the cheaper cans though, never tried the thick ones so cant comment on them

i have a cheap $12 target trash can and it works great. I actually built a mobile kegerator" around it, with rigid insulation and an actual faucet (no more picnic tap). Works great. Ive always used the cheaper cans though, never tried the thick ones so cant comment on them

. 19784185.jpg

Ill snap a pic of it when I get home tonight. Basically its a box made with 2x2's (which are the exact thickness of rigid insul) wrapped with plywood. I cut down the insulation and glued into all the cavities on all 6 faces (sides, bottom and lid). On the bottom I put casters for more mobility. A sheet metal pan with 3D printed drain on the bottom for condensation drainage was installed post construction after a few uses. I drilled 2 holes in the side, one at the bottom for a pvc drain pipe attached to the trash can to empty the melted ice water, and one at the top to run a co2 line through. In the front middle I attached a perlick tap, and the lid is sprayed with chalk board paint so I can write the beer name/stats. The insulation works really well. Filled with one 20lb bag of ice on a Thursday and still had plenty of ice on sunday last time I used it for a weekend trip. Pretty happy with how it turned out. Will post pics tonight.

Sorry to thread jack OP :off:

So unfortunately the finished product is buried under about 4 mountain bikes, a motorcycle and my brew stand (we just moved). So here's an in construction photo to get you started. I'll make a diy thread this weekend and show it in all its glory (and I will make sure to tag you guys).

In this photo you can see the framework that the insulation fits into and if you look closely at the front you'll see the hole cutout for the faucet/shank. On the side you'll see the co2 line cutout

View attachment 1487734962424.jpg

Please include me when you post the DIY Build, very interested in building a system to move kegs outside for the upcoming summer gatherings.

Thanks,
Jeff

Please include me when you post the DIY Build, very interested in building a system to move kegs outside for the upcoming summer gatherings.

Thanks,
Jeff
I know it may be a little late to this thread but this is what I made. I made mine with a tower because I hate bending over to fill my beer glass. Added a drain on the bottom for melted ice.
20180617_115340.jpeg

That was a great DIY and I have to admit I'm impressed. I would do the same if I had your skills in crafts, but I don't. I even used to struggle with my junk when it came to disposing it properly.

That was a great DIY and I have to admit I'm impressed. I would do the same if I had your skills in crafts, but I don't. I even used to struggle with my junk when it came to disposing it properly.
It was extremely easy to build. All you had to do was attach the tower to the lid. The wheels are pointless when you have 3 kegs and a CO2 tank inside with ice. They just won't roll.

Back