Transporting a carbed keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulleitb

Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm going to a friends house next weekend about a 2 hours drive away. I wanted to bring my latest batch with me. I started carbing it today so it should be good to go by the time I leave. I was wondering if there was any preferred method for transporting it. Any success stories for preventing it from being too shook up during the trip? Is there a temperature or pressure I should try to keep it at?

Obviously I have a means of getting it to serving pressure when I get there. Thanks for the help!!

When I transport a keg I usually force the beer from the original keg to another, that way....all the stuff at the bottom of the keg won't be able to cloud up the keg that I'm transporting. It's simple. A couple of feet of beer line and two black out connectors. Push the beer with some CO2 and keep venting the second keg until full. I also like to transport it cold. I have a square cooler that I can pack with ice around the keg and it sits in the back seat of my quad cab truck nice and snug.

I routinely transport filled corny kegs on trips of 500 miles over high mountain passes on winding roads with no preparation or issues at all. After arrival at my destination I let the keg rest in the kegerator for two days then connect it to the CO2 and drink up! I just picked up an outstanding Ginger Wheat made with fresh ginger that is cooling down as we speak.

If you wanted to drink it sooner you could bleed off the pressure as it cools down then connect it to the CO2.

Bill

If you're serving the keg right away, I'd do what Hammy suggested, and "jump" from one keg to another. That way you don't suspend tons of sediment in your trip and then have sediment filled beer glasses. If you'll be there a couple of days before serving, then just take it with you.

I'm having a party this weekend, so I'll be doing the "jump" method. It's easier than it sounds.

Just take two black quick disconnects, and attach with a little beer line. Get a clean sanitized keg, and add a bit of co2 to it. Then, attaching the "jumper cable" you made to the old keg. Pull the pressure relieve valve on the new keg, and attach the black QD on there, too. (It goes beer out-beer line- beer out). The beer should flow into the new keg. Keep pulling the pressure relief valve on the receiving keg and you're all set. It takes less than 5 minutes, and you get a sediment-free keg that can be shaken, rolled, etc, and not stir up sediment and debris in the keg.

If you're serving the keg right away, I'd do what Hammy suggested, and "jump" from one keg to another. That way you don't suspend tons of sediment in your trip and then have sediment filled beer glasses. If you'll be there a couple of days before serving, then just take it with you.

I'm having a party this weekend, so I'll be doing the "jump" method. It's easier than it sounds.

Just take two black quick disconnects, and attach with a little beer line. Get a clean sanitized keg, and add a bit of co2 to it. Then, attaching the "jumper cable" you made to the old keg. Pull the pressure relieve valve on the new keg, and attach the black QD on there, too. (It goes beer out-beer line- beer out). The beer should flow into the new keg. Keep pulling the pressure relief valve on the receiving keg and you're all set. It takes less than 5 minutes, and you get a sediment-free keg that can be shaken, rolled, etc, and not stir up sediment and debris in the keg.

And that's how I learned that method. Thanks again Yooper!

Was going to ask this today...brewing two kegs for a buddies wedding in Cleveland, is there any risk with driving up the co2?

My plan was to brew, keg and carbonate, get it up there on Thursday and let it sit until Saturday.

Latest posts

Back