Possible PET Oxebar setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jloewe

Reaction score
I’ve been seeing some great stuff about the Oxebar PET kegs. I’ve never been able to keg because start up cost have been a barrier at least for SWMBO but even if I did just take an OT shift to address that space has always been my white whale.

However these apparently can fit in the fridge. Maybe way down by the veggie drawer that gets filled with forgotten junk and is apparently a waste of space in my house.

Questions.

Now I was wondering some of these mini regulators take a threaded co2 cartridges. This would of course be a short term solution and eventually I’d try to get soda stream or even a full tank. But how long does a co2 cartridge last? Time wise. If I tap a keg on Saturday then a friend takes me out next weekend if I’ve barely had any of that beer with the mini cartridge have leaked out or am I good?

Force carb 2 gallons with soda stream?

How big IS a 5lbs tank? It seems to be a hard question to answer through pictures and I get way too much background noise online.

How big is a standard regulator and can I fit that in my fridge too?

lots of threads on here about htis the carts are not for carbing beer. they can serve beer out of a mini but in general the little carts are not a great idea . they are more an accessorry after you get your systme going. for example i use them to occasionally pressure up a PET bottle or to purge a line. or transfer to a 2 liter bottle. etc. not for carbing or long term serving.

i like sodastream becasue of ease of access. swimbo can exchange one for me when shes at target. they are widely available at many stores.

one canister lasts me about 8 weeks and i serve about a gallon a week.

you can squeeze sodastream kegging into any fridege without drilling holes or modifications. even dorm fridges. you cant do that with a bulky regulatorand 5 lb tank which either has to go inside taking up valuable keg space or you have to drill holes through ypour fridge to get gasline in.

i pay 4 times as much for gas using sodasttream as i would using a 5 lb tank, . about 8 $ per month . the conveniece is worth it to me.

others will argue i am ghetto kegging but this is the smallest cheapest entry into kegging.

all you need is minireg eva tubing duotight fittings the sodastream ball lock qd's and the cheapest pressure container you can find ( thats a whole nother thread)

1711111838244.png

1711111855055.png

1711111931708.png

4 liter oxebars arent availabe here yet the 8 liters (20 inches) are but they are almost as tall as corny kegs (23 inches) and then you start to need a kegeratotr or cut up a fridge.

I have a couple of the 8L oxebars but don't use them much because they are a rather awkward size. You can lay them flat in a full size fridge as long as you arrange the shelves and door bins to accommodate the length. They barely fit upright in my minifridge with the drawer and all the shelves removed. And they get tippy when the beer level gets low.

You can refill your own sodastream cylinders from a large CO2 tank to save some money. There are also refillable threaded cartridges, but I don't know how well those work.

I just picked up a paintball tank, 20 oz is one size, needs an adapter then the regular sized CO2 regulator can be used. A little 1.75 keg is small and compact. I plan to refill the paintball tank off my bigger CO2 tank. I got the paintball tank for a more portable jockey box I am building.

I also have an 8l Oxbar, it is taller than practical if standing up in my opinion but could work in a cooler laid horizontal. The dip tube is mostly rigid not floating on the tapping head.

lots of threads on here about htis the carts are not for carbing beer. they can serve beer out of a mini but in general the little carts are not a great idea . they are more an accessorry after you get your systme going. for example i use them to occasionally pressure up a PET bottle or to purge a line. or transfer to a 2 liter bottle. etc. not for carbing or long term serving.

i like sodastream becasue of ease of access. swimbo can exchange one for me when shes at target. they are widely available at many stores.

you can squeeze sodastream kegging into any fridege without drilling holes or modifications. even dorm fridges. you cant do that with a bulky regulatorand 5 lb tank which either has to go inside taking up valuable keg space or you have to drill holes through ypour fridge to get gasline in.

i pay 4 times as much for gas using sodasttream as i would using a 5 lb tank, . about 8 $ per month . the conveniece is worth it to me.

others will argue i am ghetto kegging but this is the smallest cheapest entry into kegging.

all you need is minireg eva tubing duotight fittings the sodastream ball lock qd's and the cheapest pressure container you can find ( thats a whole nother thread)

View attachment 844720

View attachment 844721

View attachment 844722

4 liter oxebars arent availabe here yet the 8 liters (20 inches) are but they are almost as tall as corny kegs (23 inches) and then you start to need a kegeratotr or cut up a fridge.
It looks a little loud but I like it lol. How many kegs are you running on that one sodastream? I didnt catch if this is force or natural carbing?

what mac said is the main problem with the 8 l oxebar thats why i want the 4 l oxebar. PET kegs are light and anything over 15 inches gets top heavy when low and gets very tippy.

also daedalus also correct , the oxebar dip tube is not really flexible and i hate side kegging they tend to roll and then the sediment gets stirred and the kegs never really clear etc. its not ideal.

It looks a little loud but I like it lol. How many kegs are you running on that one sodastream? I didnt catch if this is force or natural carbing?
its messy but thats cause i never invested in the manifold which i should. i do both natural and forced but i like to force carb cause its less sediment. when i dont have enough kegs or tee pieces i just natural carb in 2.5 to 3.5 liter PET with a little dextrose then when im ready i just chill and put on a tee piece .

i have run up to 4 kegs with the duotight tees. but it gets messy. right now i have two mini frdiges with 5 different beers on tap.

i forgot to mention check valve for the regulator so it dont get fluid in there.

i sent you a private message with the videos that explain fridge kegging. i hate posting his videos cause i have a lot already and dont want to advertise.

View attachment 844720

View attachment 844721

View attachment 844722

View attachment 844720

View attachment 844721

View attachment 844722

I have a Kegco mini regulator similar to the one pictured here that uses 74g CO2 cartridges. Do you know where I could buy an adapter to use Sodastream canisters? I found one at Amazon but several people said the gasket blew after a few uses. Thanks.

I have a Kegco mini regulator similar to the one pictured here that uses 74g CO2 cartridges. Do you know where I could buy an adapter to use Sodastream canisters?
Exactly which regulator do you have? Some of them use a TR21-4 to 5/8-18 UNF adapter for the 74 gram cartridges. If that's the case then all you have to do to use sodastream cylinders is remove that adapter.

Back