toxicity of star-san

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpearre

Reaction score
Hey all -- at my supplier's recommendation, I recently began using Star-San for corny keg and siphon tube sanitizing. Last night when transferring the beer into the corny keg, I made the boneheaded mistake of inadvertently siphoning in about 2 ounces (my guess) of the Star San solution.

The solution was about an ounce of Star San in maybe 3.5 gallons of water; if 2 ounces of that was poured into approx 4 gallons of beer, I calculate my hefeweizen is now .0035% Star-San.

Anyone else made this mistake? Is this enough to hurt me, or make the beer taste like star-san?

You'll be fine. Star-san breaks down when introduced to wort due to the pH environment. It actually becomes yeast food. Someone will post the Charlie Talley link to a podcast I'm sure.

I've just recently introduced about 1 1/2 QUARTS of starsan solution into a wheat beer in primary (blowoff suckback blah). When transferring to secondary I couldn't taste any effect, just a lower gravity than I had initially planned by a few points.

Relax, Star San will not really hurt you. It's a PH based sanitizer. If you search a few threads you will find that there are plenty of posts on this subject. 2 Oz of solution in 5 gal of beer could give you some off flavors but probably not.

Star San is a no rinse sanitizer. I sanitize my kegs with it all the time. I pour out any excess fluid, but rack right onto the foam.....DON'T FEAR THE FOAM!!! LOL

Carb and try your beer... I've had a glass or two of Star San Amber. If it tastes like crap, give it to your in-laws... but for God Sake....Never Dump Your Beer!

Seabee John said:
Drunk or Sober? Concentrate or diluted?

ah hell it doesn't matter.... the question is: WHY?

straight as an arrow.

Partly for the heck of it....partly because I was starting a siphon the manual way ;)

Actually, it was diluted to working strength.

Seabee John said:
2 Oz of solution in 5 gal of beer could give you some off flavors but probably not.

I don't think 2oz. of solution (he said it was diluted 1oz. in 3.5g of water, which is a little short of normal working strength but not much) will give you any offlfavors. Like I said, I introduced (accidentally) about 48oz. of solution (mine was 1oz. in 5g though) into a 5g batch and got no off-flavor. 2oz. of diluted star-san is nothing...

thanks everyone!! i'm still very new at this and clearly a little paranoid. if anyone could poison themselves homebrewing, it'd be me.

dpearre said:
thanks everyone!! i'm still very new at this and clearly a little paranoid. if anyone could poison themselves homebrewing, it'd be me.

Hey we've all asked similar questions and had someone tell us the truth... that's what makes this such a great place.

welcome aboard

Back