Toppling Goliath pseudoSue - Can you clone it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sidebar- I don't think he was one upping him but maybe questioning if he liked english yeast without realizing he enjoys breweries who use English yeast

I use 1098 (007) as my house when I want a fairly neutral yeast (and 1318 when I want a lot of English character). It has slightly more character than 1056 but it also works well at higher temps I have without the lousy flavors I get from 1056 above 68*. I would say I get a slight mineral flavor with it that complements my beers. Nothing sweet or overly fruity about it.

I always find it amusing when perusing English yeast threads about how boring everyone thinks 1098 is for their beers.

Going to brew a batch of beer as a wedding present. They like hoppy but not bitter. I think this is the perfect time for me to try Sue again. It's been a while since I've attempted it, but I've kept up with replies. It seems 007 or a British strain will do (as I suspected ;). After that I feel like we are all shooting in the dark on grain bill and hop schedule. I guess I'll put something together and add ridiculous amounts of late and dry hops. Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

Greetings All - Great thread! :rockin:

This is the version I'll be brewing next week. Feels pretty awesome to buy a full pound of Citra Pellets knowing that its all going into one batch. I brew 10 g batches and split into two 6.5 g fermenters - and plan to use repitched US-05 and in the other 007 from a starter. In about a month I'll post my results.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: PseudoSue Clone 10g
Brewer: MtnSoul
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 14.76 gal
Post Boil Volume: 13.26 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 12.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 9.75 gal
Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: 5.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 55.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 74.4 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
22.00 lb Golden Promise (Simpsons) (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 84.6 %
2.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2 7.7 %
2.00 lb Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM) Grain 3 7.7 %
0.28 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 5.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 5 10.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 6.5 IBUs
3.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 10.8 IBUs
3.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 10.0 Hop 8 11.4 IBUs
2.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 Hop 9 10.9 IBUs
1.5 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [ Yeast 10 -
7.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 26.00 lb

UPDATE: Brewing tomorrow AM and going to split this with repitched US-05 saved from my last batch in 5 g and then the other 5 g with a blend of 007 and 001 from White Labs 1 vial of each in a 1 L starter.

UPDATE: OG 1.062, FG 1.008. Looks and tastes delicious like pseudoSue out of the primary and into the dry-hop keg for the aroma charge with 5 oz of Citra from HopUnion

Psue Psue Psuedio
Here is what I've done the last two times and it is ridiculously close to the original Psue, and better than what's been coming out of Florida.

Mash 152*F 90min
Boil 90min

100% RO water w/additions
Mash - .35 gram/gal Gypsum
1.17 gram/gal Baking Soda
1.10 gram/gal Calcium Chloride
0.50 ml/gal Lactic Acid
Sparge - .35 gram/gal Gypsum
1.10 gram/gal Calcium Chloride

93% Two Row
3.5% Flaked Barley
3.5% Honey malt
.25oz Warrior 60min
2oz Citra 10min
2.5oz Citra 5min
2oz Flame Out
5oz Whirlpool @ 175-180*F for 30min
Dose with WLP007 starter @ 68*F
Drop 2oz Citra in primary at day 7 (68*F) I spin the carboy every night to get them all saturated and soaking, gently though.
Drop 2.5oz Citra in primary at day 10 (68*F) By now it looks like a carboy of pea soup, when I give it a spin.
Cold crash to 34*F There's quite a bit of hop material floating around and layering the top, it all usually falls out by the time it gets to 34*F
Rack to keg on day 14
Carb for 7 days I've never bottled this, so I'm no help here.
Grain to glass in 21 days.

I know the Warrior, but it works. I've tried no bittering hops and Citra for bittering, and this is best of the three imo.

Been meaning to post back for a while, but just been letting it slip. I agree with WiscoBrewer..... I have been doing some similar things and getting some great Citra Beers. Been basing a lot of what I have been doing on this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=517721

However, one of my go-to beers has always been a Citra IPA. So, I have been applying a lot of the stuff from that thread to my Citra IPA and the end result is a beer a lot like Sue. It has not been a direct clone attempt - but the results are right in line with it anyway.

Recent things that I have been happy with - not all of these would be ideal for a "Sue Clone" - but, a lot of them are:
*12-15% flaked grains in grain bill (I love this, but probably not "sue clone" material for grain bill. I would go with something simple like WIsco Brewer.
*2:1 Chloride to sulfate. Been going about 130:65ppm for recent beers
*Using some canning salt to get my Na up from 0 to 30 or so
*Using some of my high bicarbonate water (20-40%)
*pH's of my best versions have all been what I would consider high.... with mash/boil kettle (preboil) around 5.45 or even a touch higher. This seems to be pushing the high end of pH to me....but, I like the results better than 5.2-5.3 I don't know why this would be..... but it is.
*Low carbonation.... not flat, but not biting.
*Primary dry hop plus a second, short dry hop in a hopping keg, under CO2 and jump to serving keg after 48 hours. I use this method and it works awesome - http://www.bear-flavored.com/2014/09/how-i-dry-hop-my-ipas-with-no-oxygen.html

(This dry hopping strategy has been AWESOME. I highly recommend it)

Recipe for the citra beer in picture below:
(6.5 gallon batch at end of boil - gets me 5 into keg eventually)
Grain:
41% Rahr 2 Row
41% Maris Otter
8% Flaked Oats
4% Flaked Barley
2% Flaked Wheat
3% Crystal 40
***Specific Sue attempt, I would go with 92-95% Base malt ... I like splitting between 2 row and golden promise. I would then use 2-3% of caramel 20 or honey malt. I would use wheat or flaked barley like wiscobrewer mentioned for the other part.

1.058 OG (

Hops:
.75 oz. Warrior (60)
3 oz. Citra Flameout
Start to chill and shut off chiller with wort at 160-170
3oz. Citra Hopstand for 30-40 minutes, occasional stirring/swirling
Chill the rest of the way and let settle out for another 20-30 minutes
3oz. Dryhop in primary somewhere around day 5-7 for about 5 days.
Transfer to purged keg with dryhopping set up (in link above) with 3 more ounces of citra in the keg. Jump it to serving keg 2 days later.

Yeast:
I have been using Conan ..... that is not TG's yeast. I would go with the 007 or at least 1056 for a "clone." But Conan makes this a great beer.
Start ferment at 62 and let free rise to 66-68 for the first 4 days. Then move fermenter to where ambient is 68-70 for duration.

Water:
Using in mash and sparge water-
Gypsum .2 gr/gallon
CaCl .6 gr/gallon
Epsom .1 gr/gallon
Canning salt .2 gr/gallon

RO= 60%, Tap = 40% (your water may vary - mine is HIGH bicarbonate in the 260 range)

Ca = 96
Mg = 12
Na = 28
Sulfate = 67
Chloride = 135
Bicarbonate = 128

Lactic Acid in mash and sparge = .5ml/gallon

Mash pH = 5.45
pre boil = 5.47
Post boil = 5.30

At any rate, that is my latest (and favorite so far) of the ones I have been brewing. Two others on finishing dry hop and getting carbed. Fairly similar though as I have been really pleased with this general process lately.

I think applying a simpler grain bill (like Wisco) and 007 yeast to the hopping regime and water/pH I have been using on my other beers would get very, very close to a sue clone.

citra.jpg

Been meaning to post back for a while, but just been letting it slip. I agree with WiscoBrewer..... I have been doing some similar things and getting some great Citra Beers. Been basing a lot of what I have been doing on this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=517721

However, one of my go-to beers has always been a Citra IPA. So, I have been applying a lot of the stuff from that thread to my Citra IPA and the end result is a beer a lot like Sue. It has not been a direct clone attempt - but the results are right in line with it anyway.

Recent things that I have been happy with - not all of these would be ideal for a "Sue Clone" - but, a lot of them are:
*12-15% flaked grains in grain bill (I love this, but probably not "sue clone" material for grain bill. I would go with something simple like WIsco Brewer.
*pH's of my best versions have all been what I would consider high.... with mash/boil kettle (preboil) around 5.45 or even a touch higher. This seems to be pushing the high end of pH to me....but, I like the results better than 5.2-5.3 I don't know why this would be..... but it is.
*Primary dry hop plus a second, short dry hop in a hopping keg, under CO2 and jump to serving keg after 48 hours. I use this method and it works awesome - http://www.bear-flavored.com/2014/09/how-i-dry-hop-my-ipas-with-no-oxygen.html

Grain:
41% Rahr 2 Row
41% Maris Otter
8% Flaked Oats
4% Flaked Barley
2% Flaked Wheat
3% Crystal 40
***Specific Sue attempt, I would go with 92-95% Base malt ... I like splitting between 2 row and golden promise. I would then use 2-3% of caramel 20 or honey malt. I would use wheat or flaked barley like wiscobrewer mentioned for the other part.

1.058 OG (

Hops:
.75 oz. Warrior (60)
3 oz. Citra Flameout
Transfer to purged keg with dryhopping set up (in link above) with 3 more ounces of citra in the keg. Jump it to serving keg 2 days later.

Yeast:
I have been using Conan ..... that is not TG's yeast. I would go with the 007 or at least 1056 for a "clone." But Conan makes this a great beer.
Start ferment at 62 and let free rise to 66-68 for the first 4 days. Then move fermenter to where ambient is 68-70 for duration.

Water:
Gypsum .2 gr/gallon
CaCl .6 gr/gallon
Epsom .1 gr/gallon

RO= 60%, Tap = 40% (your water may vary - mine is HIGH bicarbonate in the 260 range)

Ca = 96
Mg = 12
Na = 28
Sulfate = 67
Chloride = 135
Bicarbonate = 128

Mash pH = 5.45
pre boil = 5.47
Post boil = 5.30

At any rate, that is my latest (and favorite so far) of the ones I have been brewing. Two others on finishing dry hop and getting carbed. Fairly similar though as I have been really pleased with this general process lately.

I think applying a simpler grain bill (like Wisco) and 007 yeast to the hopping regime and water/pH I have been using on my other beers would get very, very close to a sue clone.

Man. Awesome post. The last IPA I brewed I did a very similar dry hop schedule and it worked out great. Cheers!!

Hey all,

I vaguely remember somebody from Madison (I think in this thread) having some Conan on hand but it's buried in my messages or has been deleted. I know there's a few folks in Madison active in this thread and I would like to get my hands on some Conan by Monday. Last minute decision to brew as it's for a competition and I let time get away from me. Also, I dislike first generation Conan anyways so I'd be out of luck if I ordered some and prepared a starter. Sorry to hijack the thread a little bit, but I couldn't remember who it was. If you are out there and are willing to part with some Conan for a few bucks, PM me :)

I think I have a vial of conan. It would be a small amout though. You will need to step it up. I'll look tonight.

Grain:
41% Rahr 2 Row
41% Maris Otter
8% Flaked Oats
4% Flaked Barley
2% Flaked Wheat
3% Crystal 40

1.058 OG (

Hops:
.75 oz. Warrior (60)
3 oz. Citra Flameout

Yeast:

Water:
Gypsum .2 gr/gallon
CaCl .6 gr/gallon
Epsom .1 gr/gallon

Ca = 96
Mg = 12
Na = 28
Sulfate = 67
Chloride = 135
Bicarbonate = 128

Mash pH = 5.45
pre boil = 5.47
Post boil = 5.30

That's a beautiful beer Braufessor! I brewed a Zombie Dust clone earlier this year and it was probably my tastiest beer to date. I'm a native Iowan, and will be going home for Christmas this year. A trip to Toppling Goliath is definitely in the plans. I may have to brew this and take some with me for a comparison.

My clone turned out pretty well. I had a couple of friends do a side by side, and was told the flavor and aroma were very close, but mine (which I called SortaSue) is maltier. If I did it again, maybe less or even no cara 20.

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Pseudo Sue Clone

Brew Method: Extract
Style Name: American Pale Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 4 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.075
Efficiency: 35% (steeping grains only)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.060
Final Gravity: 1.016
ABV (standard): 5.85%
IBU (tinseth): 53.32
SRM (morey): 7.18

FERMENTABLES:
3.15 lb - Liquid Malt Extract - Light (37.5%)
4 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Light (47.6%)
0.25 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Wheat (3%)

STEEPING GRAINS:
1 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 20L (11.9%)

HOPS:
0.5 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.5, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 10.9
0.75 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.5, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 11.94
1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.5, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 8.76
2 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.5, Use: Boil for 0 min
2 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.5, Use: Whirlpool for 30 min at 180 °F, IBU: 21.72
2 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.5, Use: Dry Hop for 6 days
1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.5, Use: Dry Hop for 4 days

YEAST:
Wyeast - American Ale II 1272
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 74%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Temp: 60 - 72 F

NOTES:
use maris otter

Generated by Brewer's Friend - http://www.brewersfriend.com/
Date: 2015-06-27 13:54 UTC
Recipe Last Updated: 2015-06-27 13:54 UTC

Is this the best extract recipe out there or does anybody have suggestions?

I would go with 007 on yeast instead of 1272 probably. Otherwise, I would say it is right in the ballpark, or as close as you are going to get with extract.

You could use some plain bittering hop instead of citra.... something like warrior is what I generally use. No need to boil citra for 60 minutes.

Perhaps up the dry hops. Maybe 2-3 ounces on that last dry hop addition.

By the way - the batch of Sue (bombers) they released yesterday was spectacular. Been a long time since I have thought it was this good. Sosus was great as usual as well.

I would take out or significantly reduce the caramel malts. As I said above the recipe, as listed it's maltier than the real thing. It was a big hit with my friends.

Yeah - did not see the 1lb of caramel 20... I would back that way down. 4-8 ounces.

Also.... Is/was there a particular reason to use the liquid malt extract? I would go all dry extract perhaps. Depending on your brew store and their turn-over, DME tends to stay fresher longer.

Also.... Is/was there a particular reason to use the liquid malt extract? I would go all dry extract perhaps. Depending on your brew store and their turn-over, DME tends to stay fresher longer.
I can only find maris otter in liquid extract form. I wonder if that is the reason? Any tips on where to find the DME form would be appreciated.

The light or extra light should be fine. My goal for the recipe to try to get something similar to Golden Promise, since that seems to be the consensus base malt. I thought using Maris Otter LME with light DME would prevent the beer from having too noticable of the biscuity nutty maris otter flavors, but still show some of that.

The light or extra light should be fine. My goal for the recipe to try to get something similar to Golden Promise, since that seems to be the consensus base malt. I thought using Maris Otter LME with light DME would prevent the beer from having too noticable of the biscuity nutty maris otter flavors, but still show some of that.

I think I am going to try to brew this next. Do you think I should cut the Cara out all together or just tone it down?

I would go with 007 on yeast instead of 1272 probably.
What is the difference in end result when using this yeast?

By the way - the batch of Sue (bombers) they released yesterday was spectacular.
I was able to try this once, a year or two ago, when I visited MN thanks to a buddy. Probably the best pale I've had.

IMO, you need to get rid of the crystal all together and use Honey malt if you can get it, if not then reduce to what Brau said. Consider adding some flaked oats for mouth feel and head retention. I would also double all hop additions!

The 007 will give you a lil more fruitiness, and will flock like a wet blanket, and attenuate quickly. Turning this beer over fast is important to not lose its flavor/aroma.

I used 1272 because it seems to enhance citrus type flavors. I don't know anything about 007.

As for the crystal, I would go with Braufessor - either eliminate it or only use 4-6 ounces.

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Pseudo Sue Clone

Brew Method: Extract
Style Name: American Pale Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 3 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.075
Efficiency: 35% (steeping grains only) No steeping.

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.060
Final Gravity: 1.016
ABV (standard): 5.85%
IBU (tinseth): 53.32
SRM (morey): 7.18

FERMENTABLES:
3.15 lb - Liquid Malt Extract - Light
4 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Light
0.25 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Wheat

STEEPING GRAINS:
None

HOPS:
0.5 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.5, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 10.9
0.75 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.5, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 11.94
1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.5, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 8.76
2 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.5, Use: Boil for 0 min
2 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.5, Use: Whirlpool for 30 min at 180 °F, IBU: 21.72
2 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.5, Use: Dry Hop for 6 days
3 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.5, Use: Dry Hop for 4 days

YEAST:
Wyeast - WL 007
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 74%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Temp: 60 - 72 F

Okay, so that is what I came up with after taking in all of your advice (changes in red). Just a few questions:

Consider adding some flaked oats for mouth feel
I really want to do this. Where in the process do I add this?

I would also double all hop additions!
I definitely don't want my beer to be under hopped but I don't want a hop bomb. Will this give me a hoppier version of PseudoSue or would this get me closer to the original?

Whirlpool for 30 min at 180 °F
I have never done this and don't even know that I have the equipment. What is this and is there any substitute to this process that might get me close?

Am I okay leaving out all the Cara without subbing anything in?

Any other thoughts on the recipe or/and questions above? Am I missing anything?

Thank you guys so much for all the help.

Isn't PseudoSue a "hop Bomb"? I mean, isn't that what you're going for? I mean, it's strange to me that you don't want to make a hop Bomb yet you're choosing to brew this beer. For a pale ale PSeudoSue is a very hoppy beer.

Whirlpooling: yes, you have the equipment. Cool your wort to 180 as you would normally cool your beer. But then stop at 180, add your whirlpool hops and simply wait 30 min. Technically it's a hopstand, but achieves the affect you're looking for (huge hop aroma without the bitterness), then cool the rest of the way down as normal.

Thanks for the whirlpool info andI don't want it to be much hoppier than pseudo, w which I found to be, yes hoppy but also pretty balanced.

That being said I've only had it once but I remember loving it so I just want whatever gets me close to the original.

I'd say do your first dry hop addition as planned and then sample after a few days. If it lacks the aroma you're after then do the second dry hop addition.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=75231

Here is some info that will help with a partial mash, for when you want to use specialty malts and flaked barley or oats.

I would still suggest a small clean bittering charge at 60min and doubling your 10, 5 and especially your whirlpool hops. You may even want to bump up your volume a half gallon or so to make up for hop loss. Do a search on hop bursting to give you an idea of what we're doing here. This is where you are going to pick up the most flavor and aroma from your hops. Your DH looks good. You'll want to ferment starting at 64 and let it ramp up to 68 and dry hop in the 68-70 range. I crash cool after DH to get as much material to fall out of suspension as possible.

Thanks for the link. Lots of useful info. Im pretty stoked that I have all the equipment to do a partial mash.

Also, do you guys think my malt bill looks fine or should I add something to compensate for the missing Cara?

You'll want to ferment starting at 64 and let it ramp up to 68 and dry hop in the 68-70 range.

I was planning on Dry Hopping in primary after fermentation was completed. Do you think I should crash cool before DH as well in order to have less yeast floaties in the wort? Will these floaties even affect the DH Process?

I'm glad the link was helpful!
I would sub the crystal with honey malt if you can get it at your LHBS. I DH in the primary and cold crash after DH. This yeast flocs out extremely well so I wouldn't worry about cold crashing before DH, but you certainly could if you like. Just remember to bring it back up to 68-70 for DH.

Whirlpooling: yes, you have the equipment. Cool your wort to 180 as you would normally cool your beer. But then stop at 180, add your whirlpool hops and simply wait 30 min. Technically it's a hopstand, but achieves the affect you're looking for (huge hop aroma without the bitterness), then cool the rest of the way down as normal.

In a perfect world, you would whirlpool with a pump and a kettle with tangential inlets. Like this one: https://conical-fermenter.com/15-Gallon-Brew-Kettle-with-Tangential-Inlet.html But since I'm not yet willing to drop 4 bills for a new kettle, I cool to 175-180, drop my hops, and then stir for 20 minutes to keep the wort moving in a whirlpool fashion.

Great. I think I am for the most part set. Just two things:

-I couldn't find Honey malt, so should I use around 6 ounces of cara or just forget about it all together?

- Do you use the traditional corn sugar for bottle priming or do you do anything special for this?

The 6oz of crystal 20l should be ok.

I keg, but yes corn sugar dissolved in boiling water will work. Shoot for 2.3 volumes.

Consider adding some flaked oats for mouth feel and head retention.

Hey, so if the oats are there mainly for mouthfeel and not for fermentables, do you think it would be okay just to steep them?

Back