Toppling Goliath pseudoSue - Can you clone it?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

WIexile

Reaction score
Well this is weird.. canned 6/3/20. Basically crystal clear with no sediment at the bottom of the can. They must have changed their their yeast or something!
They did have a yeast shortage of their "house yeast" and had to use a replacement for a few weeks. It didnt work out well in some batches, with Mosaic dry hop sue being recalled, and I believe your date of king is one of the problem batches as well.

NJGeorge

Reaction score
Try gently rocking the next can and see what it looks like, maybe just flocced really hard to the can bottom?
No man I purposely shook the last pour in the bottom of can because of how clear it was coming out and no sludge came out. Bottom of the can is clean.

NJGeorge

Reaction score
They did have a yeast shortage of their "house yeast" and had to use a replacement for a few weeks. It didnt work out well in some batches, with Mosaic dry hop sue being recalled, and I believe your date of king is one of the problem batches as well.
Wow ok, now we know. Oh well. It’s still a good beer!

couchsending

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
That’s true. I’ve seen this with beers I’ve made with the clear beer draft system. But that’s such a small scale. Beer on top gets much more clear, but still. Kind of weird. You never see this with TH for example or Trill. This could have been cans from the last few fills off a brite maybe. @couchsending this is crystal clear like a lager. I’ll see how the other cans are eventually.
I would assume all your other cans will probably be similar as the likelihood of them being in
succession when it comes to production is probably pretty high.

5 years ago when TG was only sold in bombers I'd definitely get some beers that had dropped
"clear". I think their beers have evolved since then and obviously their production has evolved dramatically since then. I've never had a can that was brewed in Iowa look remotely clear. Even stuff that's 4 months old and sat in a fridge for 2 months and not rolled or shook or whatever.

That being said Twisted Galaxy has always had crazy floaties. Fresh in cans or 2 months old in bombers. Always has weird chunks and what not.

NJGeorge

Reaction score
Also, how do you know this info? Interesting.

hezagenius

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well this is weird.. canned 6/3/20. Basically crystal clear with no sediment at the bottom of the can. They must have changed their their yeast or something!
I saw someone post something similar a few weeks ago. Not sure if it was from the same canning date. TG always has sediment in their cans and bottles. I always leave the last ounce or 2 in the can because of it.

NJGeorge

Reaction score
I saw someone post something similar a few weeks ago. Not sure if it was from the same canning date. TG always has sediment in their cans and bottles. I always leave the last ounce or 2 in the can because of it.
Yeah but this is definitely not the case. For how “young” this can is, I’d cough it up to yeast change.

hezagenius

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah but this is definitely not the case. For how “young” this can is, I’d cough it up to yeast change.
That'd be my guess.

I had a DDH King Sue last week that had been in my fridge for months and it poured super hazy. Tasted awesome, too. That beer had a ton of sediment.

Calaeb

Reaction score
They had to recall mosaic sue because the yeast did something they didn't like. I assume that was the case with regular sue aswell. Said they had to use different yeast because their supplier was down for the covid stuff.

AM1

Reaction score
If you have any questions on anything in particular, you can shoot me a PM. Hope this helps!

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.75 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
End of Boil Vol: 5.50 gal

Date: 9 Jun 2018
Brewer: Justin Paar
Equipment: Bayou 16 Gal Kettle + 10 Gal Cooler
Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 75.6 %

Mash @ 152* for 60 mins

Water Profile
Calcium: 148ppm
Sulfate: 150ppm
Chloride: 150ppm
Mash pH: 5.25

5 lbs 9 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
6 lbs Golden Promise (2.5 SRM)
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.4 SRM)
8.0 oz Flaked Wheat
4.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM)
0.50 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 mins)
3.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - 0 min
3.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool Boil 35.0 min (Around 160-180*)
1.0 pkg Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) (Made a 1L starter stepped up to 1.5L starter with this)
4.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop on Day 2-3
3.70 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop on Day 10 (I transferred to keg by day 10)
I did the second dry hop inside of a mesh floating cylinder inside of the keg, where I let it stay until the keg was done, which was within a month.

I cold crashed the keg for 24 hours, then set to 30psi for 24 hours, purge it and set it to serving pressure and let it sit for a few days.

Ferment ~64* for 7-14 days. (Mine was at 65*, moved to 72* on day 3 with first DH, and into a keg on day 10 as it was done)

Est Original Gravity: 1.060 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.9 %
Hi just to confirm- the recipe is for a 6 gallon batch. It seems the end of boil volume is 5.5 gals and it got me confused. 5.5 probably you are refering to the bottling volume?

Also how close is this to the original PS? I intend to give it a shot.

thanks for your input!

couchsending

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Back in MN and grabbed a bunch of TG. Interesting there was a recall on the 5/27 Mosaic Sue. Brother In Law bought some 6/9 cans that definitely had diacetyl as well. Didn’t have the 5/27 recalled batch so not sure how the diacetyl levels compare. Wasn’t apparent right away but as it warmed it became very obvious. Cans of Pompeii and regular Pseudo were drinking great, although maybe a bit clearer than my last couple cans??

Edit: 5/21 Pompeii is clear so I’d assume the suspect yeast. 6/19 Pseudo Sue looks normal.

It’s weird how you’ll get cans where it looks like there’s suspended particles in the beer. I’ve noticed this with their beers forever. Wonder why that is. Recent DDH Light Speed is like that. Focal Banger will look like that too although the particles tend to be bigger in FB.

Mid June cans of King Sue seems to be on point.

Last edited:

MrPowers

Reaction score
Edit: 5/21 Pompeii is clear so I’d assume the suspect yeast. 6/19 Pseudo Sue looks normal.

It’s weird how you’ll get cans where it looks like there’s suspended particles in the beer. I’ve noticed this with their beers forever. Wonder why that is. Recent DDH Light Speed is like that. Focal Banger will look like that too although the particles tend to be bigger in FB.
From my experience (live in Iowa, pick up TG somewhat regularly) Pompeii does tend to be clearer than Sue on average. If the cans are more than a month old, you can definitely pour a semi clear beer if you try to leave the sediment behind.