need a good IPA thats not super bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redtab78

Reaction score
So, I want to brew a good IPA this weekend, and I'm looking for a fruity kinda flavor, but not over the top...not too grapefruity either. I have plenty of time for fermenting, so no rush for a "1 week need it fast" kind of beer, but I do want to make something a little different from my norm (never really done a good IPA). I would like to try and get close to the flavor that 10 barrel "joe IPA" makes if possible, but im not sure where to start

Heres the hops I have on hand to play with:

6oz cascade
6oz centennial
4oz Motueka
4oz NZ Pacifica
16oz Citra
8oz Simcoe
1oz Amarillo
and about 5oz of EKG left

I thought about doing the Three Floyds Zombie dust clone maybe?? but that calls for all citra, and since it will be my first brew with citra, im not sure what to expect.

I have read that simcoe and citra pair well, as does Amarillo, but all I have is the 1oz of Amarillo...so not sure where to use that, maybe for a FWH?

OK, so knowing what hops I have, what would you all recommend??

1 oz Centennial @ 60
2 oz Cascade @ 15
1 oz Simcoe @ 5
Dry hop with an ounce of Citra and Amarillo
Those are the hops I'm most familiar with :)

Try the kiwi express recipe/kit from Northern brewer. Its unreal and I don't like bitter ipa's.

1 oz Centennial @ 60
2 oz Cascade @ 15
1 oz Simcoe @ 5
Dry hop with an ounce of Citra and Amarillo
Those are the hops I'm most familiar with :)

this sounds very delightful actually....but then again, so does that other one above you :D

Bitter .75 oz Simcoe

1 oz Centennial at 20
1 oz Amarillo at 2

Whirlpool 2 oz Citra, 2 oz Mosaic, 1 oz Moteuka at 160°F for 40 min

Dry hop same as whirlpool for 3-5 days.

Just an idea

I don't have any mosaic, and im trying to stick with what I have on hand...would there be a stand in for the mosaic from the list I have? also, I have never done a hop stand like you mention...any precautions if I decide to go this route on leaving the wort for 40 min at 160?

Bitter with 1 oz Centennial and then add whatever you would like at flameout/whirlpool. The late addition hops shouldn't add any significant IBUs and instead will provide an awesome aroma.

I don't have any mosaic, and im trying to stick with what I have on hand...would there be a stand in for the mosaic from the list I have? also, I have never done a hop stand like you mention...any precautions if I decide to go this route on leaving the wort for 40 min at 160?

Sorry :) saw simcoe and Citra and Mosaic popped out by default.

Try using your usual 5+ oz of hops but add them all at 30 min or later.

If you have never used Citra, it is worth doing by itself (at least for the flavor additions). It really does give that grapefruit flavor unlike any other. If you mix it with other stuff you just muddle the flavor and waste it, in my opinion.

As a thought to use what you have on hand -
replace mosaic with pacifica in both WP and dry hop. Add an ounce of Centennial to the WP

.5oz pacifica FWH, then 1oz pacifica at 60min - 1oz motueka at 10 min - 1oz citra, .5oz amarillo at 5 min AND 0 min, each - 1oz citra and .5oz amarillo dry for 5 days. save the simcoe for later.

Lately I've been adding hops only at the end of the boil and I've been really pleased with the low bitterness/high hoppiness nature of the beers.

Try 2 oz Cascade at the end and 2 oz Citra dry hopped at 10 days - package at 14 days

What's your water situation like? Water makes a huge difference in pale beers like IPAs, especially pertaining to perceived bitterness

Do you have RO water available? Are you opposed to trying a simple water profile from scratch?

The pH of your water isn't as important as the residual alkalinity, but you'd need a water report to know that.

Are you doing anything to your tap water to eliminate chlorine & chloramines?

Do you have RO water available? Are you opposed to trying a simple water profile from scratch?

The pH of your water isn't as important as the residual alkalinity, but you'd need a water report to know that.

Are you doing anything to your tap water to eliminate chlorine & chloramines?

I run my hose into 5 micron RV type filter with a britta filter in it, then from that into my HLT (if this helps at all)

My taste in IPAs is similar: lots of flavor but not too much bitterness. The basic template I use is a very small bittering addition of something that will ground the beer, like 0.5oz of Chinook or NB at the start. Then put in all the rest of the hops at the very end, either in the last minute or in the whirlpool, somewhere between 2-6 oz depending on your tastes.

From the hops you have on hand, you're not going to be able to avoid the grapefruit flavors. If you want to get away from those, get some hops with more of a piney or floral aroma, or use exclusively noble hops for the whirlpool addition.

My taste in IPAs is similar: lots of flavor but not too much bitterness. The basic template I use is a very small bittering addition of something that will ground the beer, like 0.5oz of Chinook or NB at the start. Then put in all the rest of the hops at the very end, either in the last minute or in the whirlpool, somewhere between 2-6 oz depending on your tastes.

From the hops you have on hand, you're not going to be able to avoid the grapefruit flavors. If you want to get away from those, get some hops with more of a piney or floral aroma, or use exclusively noble hops for the whirlpool addition.

So is the reference of the three floyds zombie dust clone of being "alcoholic tropical punch" using just the citra a little off? or is the grapefruit flavor considered "tropical"?

I'm not all that into really hoppy IPA's. This is a recipe I've made twice so far that I think is similar to an IPA just not as bitter and very drinkable. My wife and I really like the Citra flavor and aroma.

Citra Pale Ale

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: White Labs California Ale Yeast - WLP-001
Yeast Starter: Yes (1200 ml H2O – 120gm light DME)
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.0
Target Original Gravity: 1.063
Target Final Gravity: 1.012
IBU: 55.98
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 8.66? SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 - 14 days @ 65 degrees F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 - 14 days @ 65 degrees F

Boil Size: 6.50 gal.
Collected Volume: 5.25 gal.
Actual OG: 1.068 SG
Actual FG: 1.012 SG
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients

Grain Bill:10 lb. 4 oz. Pale Malt, Marris Otter US
10 oz. Carmel / Crystal Malt 40L
10 oz. Munich Malt
8 oz. Wheat Malt

Hop Schedule:
0.50 oz. Citra [14.5%] (60 min)
0.80 oz. Citra [14.5%] (30 min)
0.50 oz. Citra [14.5%] (steep 5 min )
2.00 oz. Citra [14.5%] (dry hop)

Yeast:
1 Vial White Labs California Ale (WLP-001)

- Mash at 152 degrees F. for 60 minutes.
- Mash out at 168 degrees F. for 10 minutes
- Sparge water temp – 168.0 degrees F.

Try no bittering addition, some at 20, some at 5 and a boatload at flameout then whirlpool for 20 minutes. You'll get a smooth, hoppy nosed beer that's not bitter at all but with amazing hop aroma and flavor. Think Heady Topper. I like a combination of some of these Amarillo, Simcoe, Columbus, Citra, Mosaic. Mash at 154 or 150 for a drier IPA. A simple grain bill, 90% two row, 5% Biscuit, 5% Wheat and maybe a little Dextrin to 1.075SG. You'll get a nice 7% beer. US05 or your favorite ale yeast.

Try a Dechutes Fresh Sqeezed clone. You can find recipes on HBT. Very flavorful but not crazy bitter. Sub mosaic for simcoe.

Just to clarify you don't want the harsh bitterness of 10 barrels apocalypse (70 ibu)you want the smooth bitterness of Joe(70 ibu). First wort hopping with late hop additions will give you the bitterness you are looking for in a beer. Also I get harshness from Amarillo in the 60-30 minute range.

Just to clarify you don't want the harsh bitterness of 10 barrels apocalypse (70 ibu)you want the smooth bitterness of Joe(70 ibu). First wort hopping with late hop additions will give you the bitterness you are looking for in a beer. Also I get harshness from Amarillo in the 60-30 minute range.

Exactly! Lol, the apocalypse and the joe are just 2 different taste all together, I can drink the joe ipa all day long, but the apocalypse has to go after 3 or 4

I run my hose into 5 micron RV type filter with a britta filter in it, then from that into my HLT (if this helps at all)

A 5 micron filter is mainly for removing sediment in the water. Are you on a well or municipal water supply?

Not trying to bombard you with water questions, but my pale hoppy beers went from boring and bland to awesome when I started using distilled water and building it to the desired profile.

I would bite the bullet and get some RO or distilled water for your next brew and see if it makes a difference. I'm willing to bet that it does if the rest of your process is sound.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=568046

Check this post. I've made a couple NE IPAs based on these suggestions and they come out remarkable.

Whatever you do, the most important part will be the whirlpool. Whatever hops you use, after boil, let them steep at least 30 minutes ideally between the 190-170 range.

I second these suggestions. Brau gives an awesome outline of the general style and you can change up the grains and hops to what you have on hand and to personalize it to your tastes. I use a very similar outline for my hoppy beers.

My recommendation is:
For 5 Gallons
2oz cascade FWH
2oz citra 15 min
2oz citra 10 min
2oz simco 10 min
2oz citra 5 min
2oz cascade 5 min
Hop stand 30min
2oz cascade dry
1oz Amarillo dry
Second dry hop
2oz cascade
2oz citra

Heres what I ended up with...for my water supply, I went and got 10 gal of spring water...

Grains were:
11.5# 2 row
1.13#munich
.75# cara-pils
.25# crystal 75
.25# crystal 30 (I wanted .5 of crystal 60, but LHBS was out so I mixed 75 and 30)

hops I went with was:

.50 Amarillo/.25 citra FWH (mostly just to get rid of the remaining Amarillo I had)
1oz citra@20
1oz citra@10
1.25oz citra@5
1.25oz citra@flameout

and I will dryhop this with 2.5oz Citra in secondary for the last 6 days @65F

I figure I would stay a little lower and see how I like it, if I want more bitterness then I can up the QTY a little at the 20m mark or add a 15m addition

I overshot my OG coming in at 1.074, when it was supposed to be 1.060(ish)....guess it was just one of those days where everthing worked in my favor and my efficiency was much better, or perhaps it had something to do with the fact that I used all botteled water which changes the mash somehow??

I also will be using Wyeast ESB yeast that I just racked a pumpkin beer off of, plus a 1200ml starter of some prev washed yeast. as of 6am this morning (approx. 10 hours after pitching) im well into a krausen and starting to come into my blowoff tube, so I def pitch enough yeast!!

Back