Took Out My Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lslbrew

Reaction score
For the past five or so years I grew cascades up the arbor posts around my patio. Had a good sunny location, lawn has irrigation so they grew really well and had good yields. They looked really good around the patio too.
The problem is that I could not keep them reigned in and bines popped up in and around all my other landscaping. So several weeks ago I dug up the crowns and as much root as I could. I did not want to deliberately kill a healthy plant so I went out to the edge of the common ground behind my house and planted them along the fence that separates the neighborhood.
I figure what grows, grows and they can climb all over the fence. Both sides are professionally mowed so any stray bines will get mowed back and they will stay close to the fence. My plan is to let them grow wild and see if I get any more yield out of them.

sounds like a good idea to me. You are not really going "hop free".... you just moved em to a lower maintenance spot

Back