...Too Soon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkaBoneBenny

Reaction score
So I brewed my Double IPA recipe last thursday and vigorous fermentation began late that night. I had prepared a yeast starter. I'm currently brewing my Kolsch as we speak and I had intended to switch my Double IPA over to secondary. However, I just took at reading and it's at 1.032. OG was 1.078. I don't know the exact FG but it sure isn't in the 1.030's. Is it too soon to move it over to secondary? Bubbling fermentation more or less appeared to stop Christams Eve or so. I've never done a high alcohol beer before. I'm just worried that a. It could be a stuck fermentation or b. it's just too soon to move it to secondary. Temperatures have been remarkable constant at 69-70 degrees. Any thoughts? I have two of each fermenters so it's not a space problem. I still have lots of dry hopping to do and I want to make sure I don't start the secondary/dry hopping too soon.
-Ben

Rousing the yeast while transferring to secondary may help out on the attenuation front. I thought my fairly big (1.070) was done because it stoppe bubbling, but after racking into the carboy it fired up again and bubbled for another 2 weeks.

I wouldn't move it just yet. The yeast attentuation is a little short. Try twisting the carboy several times to rouse some of the yeast into suspension and see if it starts fementing again.

Thanks guys. I went with the twisting approach. I'm going to see how it's doing in 3 more days or so. By then I suppose I should know if I have a problem on my hands. Thanks again!
-Ben

too soon imo... it's only been going for about five days, i'd give it 10 to 15 days in primary.

also what yeast did you use?

Hmmmm.. So further updates. And concerns. I took the suggestion and gave the fermentor a good amount of twists to stir up some of that lazy Yeast. Sure enough, a second Krausen formed within a few hours and I suppose went to work. I never once saw activity in the airlock though. When I checked my hydrometer today, it read 1.026 or so. Now, however, the Krausen has once again fallen. I gave it another good twist to hopefully get those Yeast back to work.

Does this seem really unusual? It's like as soon as I turn my back the Yeast takes a break. Temperatures have been constant and it the right range. I just want the goddamned gravity to come down to 1.020 or so before I transfer it over. Arggg.... stupid stressful Double IPA. It better be delicious.
-Ben

I'm not sure what to tell you other than you may try to warm it up higher to see if you can get some more activity out of the yeast.

Hummm, from 1.078 to 1.026 You can try spinning it to stir up some of the yeast again, but I would fear an aftertaste like you are drinking rubbing alcohol. IMO the longer it sits on the trub, the greater the chances it starts to develop "off" flavors.

Next time you do a "big" beer, make a larger starter is all. Transfer to the secondary and call it good for now.

Big beers = bigger starters.

Well, I prematurely took your advice. The batch has been transfered over to secondary. I figure in a week or so it should be clear-up nice and get to a reasonable final gravity. Then again, nothing with this brew has gone according to plan. Thanks very much. Hopefully I'm not shooting myself in the foot. I really want a nice Double IPA.
-Ben

How long are we talking about Orfy? I usually let my beers do a week in primary, a week in secondary. Then again, I havn't been truly happy with any of them yet, but that's beside the point. I also need to dry hop that sucker and I don't want to leave the dry hops in too long. I want to avoid grassy hop flavors.
-Ben

Most point to the 123 rule.

1 week primary
1 week secondary
3 weeks to carbonate

then wait as long as you can to condition.

others say 5 days then 10 days

What ever works for you but usually if you'r not happy with a beer then waiting normally makes it better.

i'd say that it is good to note that it's better to keep the beer in the secondary longer as opposed to taking it out too soon. for any number of reasons (work/business/holidays/vacations) I have left beer in secondary for weekS and they never suffered due to this. Obviously, you don't want it in there for months and months because that would chew up valuable carbonation/maturation tme but a few weeks in the secondary never hurt.

(Using words like 'never' around some of you much-more-advanced brewers always makes me wait for the "Actually......" posts to pop up, which has happened often. :) )

orfy said:
Most point to the 123 rule.

1 week primary
1 week secondary
3 weeks to carbonate

then wait as long as you can to condition.

others say 5 days then 10 days

What ever works for you but usually if you'r not happy with a beer then waiting normally makes it better.

Ive always thought 123 was
1 week primary
2 weeks secondary
3 weeks to carb

Back