Too much water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikwat

Reaction score
Being a first timer and despite everything I read, I filled my carboy to the very top...and had about a half gallon of wort left over. Which means I have about and extra gallon of water in my carboy. Have I completely ruined my beer, or is it salvageable?

Can you describe the process you used? I'm confused on the left over part. What you want to do is put all of the word in the carboy, then top up to 5 gallons.

Can you describe the process you used? I'm confused on the left over part. What you want to do is put all of the word in the carboy, then top up to 5 gallons.

Yeah, I did that backwards...added the wort to the water in the carboy

I assume you did a partial boil the "topped" off with water. The beer may be a little thin and will not have the alcohol content you desire but it should be drinkable.

You learn as you go and next time you'll know not to add water before you put your wort(cooled I hope) in the fermented.

So you added water to your carboy, and then went to add the wort? But then you still had concentrated wort left.

1. Carboys aren't exact, next time measure out where the 5 gallon mark is.

2. I would dump some of what is in the carboy into a sanatized container. Then add the rest of the wort, and then add the diluted stuff back in.

3. Your going to need a blow off tube if you have your craboy that full. I think a lot of people only put 5 gallon in a 6.5 gallon carboy for primary fermentation. I just use a bucket.

Good luck.

Back