Starting Gravity Question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soren0485

Reaction score
So I took my initial Starting Gravity reading with a half gallon of wort in my Carboy. Then added 52 ounces of spring water. How much would this added water dilute and change my starting gravity? I forgot to take another reading after adding the water. What would my new SG be?

Initial starting gravity: 1.140

A must that was 3Lb Orange Blossom and had a final mixed volume of .5 gallon (64 oz) should have been ~1.215. Your honey either had a lower than average sugar level or you may not have mixed it well enough to get a proper reading.

If it should have been 1.215, the added 52oz would bring you to 1.119. Your total volume would be ~.9 gallon.

A must that was 3Lb Orange Blossom and had a final mixed volume of .5 gallon (64 oz) should have been ~1.215. Your honey either had a lower than average sugar level or you may not have mixed it well enough to get a proper reading.

If it should have been 1.215, the added 52oz would bring you to 1.119. Your total volume would be ~.9 gallon.
With 12 ounces of just Blueberry juice in primary.

Latest posts

Back