Too much fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broadway

Reaction score
Does it matter if the beer is fermenting up into the airlock? The water in my airlock has turned brown, and there is foam down around the base of my airlock on the lid of the bucket, and its bubbling away like crazy.

This a bad thing?

My last beer bubbled ok, but never this much. I just brewed it yesterday morning.

I would put a blow-off tube on the carboy instead of an airlock. Put the other end of the blow-off tube into a bucket filled with water/vodka (maybe around 5% vodka). For a standard glass carboy neck, the diameter is 1".

Well, your beer is happy then. Definitely get a blowoff tube, the standard tubing that comes with most beer kits will fit on the main tube of the three piece airlock, works well, especially if you are fermenting in a bucket

A blow off is the way to go. I had to use my 5 gal carboy for a primary fermentation and used a blow off tube - glad I did. I had VERY active fermentation.

Although I used a 1" plastic tube it did not fit tight in the neck of the carboy so I wrapped some plastic wrap around it, worked great.

Latest posts

Back