Too much alcohol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cernst151

Reaction score
I've got a coffee stout that was supposed to stop fermenting at 1.02 or so but I got a stuck fermentation so among other things I added Saison yeast to get it moving. It got moving alright. It moved all the way down to 1.01 and has a strong taste of alcohol. It's over 10% and ready to bottle. Is there anything I can do at this point to reduce the alcohol taste?

The only thing I can think of is brewing a very low alcohol stout to mix in before bottling but I'd rather not wait another month while that ferments. Any other ideas or do I just have to chill it cold and drink it slow?

you can either wait for another 1 to ferment or tough it out. a saison yeast is going to burn it REALLY low; that's what it does. if i use a saison yeast, i expect 1.006-1.008 fg. WAY too low for a stout. you might be able to boil up some lactose and/or maltodextrine and add it in. i have no idea how that might turn out, so don't quote me on that

I've got a coffee stout that was supposed to stop fermenting at 1.02 or so but I got a stuck fermentation so among other things I added Saison yeast to get it moving. It got moving alright. It moved all the way down to 1.01 and has a strong taste of alcohol. It's over 10% and ready to bottle. Is there anything I can do at this point to reduce the alcohol taste?

The only thing I can think of is brewing a very low alcohol stout to mix in before bottling but I'd rather not wait another month while that ferments. Any other ideas or do I just have to chill it cold and drink it slow?

Heh, I wonder if you added Wyeast 3711, the dominator.

So, that hot alcohol taste isn't appealing, is it. Not much you can do about that. Just put it away and make more beer. You'll enjoy it more when you have other beers to choose from.

In case anybody was wondering that stout has been sitting in my basement in bottles for about a year now and has really mellowed out. I mean, 2 of them and you're done for the night but you can actually drink it now without wincing. It's still not one of my favorites but time has made it quite drinkable.

So, the lesson I've learned is that if you've got an overly hot and alcoholic brew don't throw it out. Bottle it and sit on it for a while. It may still work in time.

Back