Too Many Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thehopguy

Reaction score
I'm trying to modify a recipe of a Northern Brewers Pale Ale with hops that i prefer and I'd like it to pretty hoppy.

But I'm worried I may be going overboard what do you guys think?

My recipe is as follows

1 lb golden light DME
6 lbs gold LME
.5 lbs Caramel 60L Specialty Grains

and I wanted to hop as follows

1 oz chinook for 60 mins
.5 oz simcoe & .5 amarillo at 20 mins left
.5 oz simcoe & .5 amarillo at end of boil

..And I wanted to dry hop with more simcoe and amarillo was thinking of another .5 oz of each... Is this too much??:confused:

O and ill be brewing 2.5 gallons and adding water to get 5 gallons

Are you trying to copy the original only use different hops, or are you using it as a base for your own recipe? That will definately give you a pretty hoppy beer. About 63 IBU. What was the orig recipe?

interesting question for someone by that name. for a pale ale, you're kinda at the edge of hoppiness. in general, you got a lot more room for more.

That's less hops than I use for my pale ale, which is hoppy. I use at least 4 ounces for a pale ale and at least 6 for an IPA. I've made IPA's with 9oz. of hops before and I felt that they could've been more hoppy. All were 5 gallon batches by the way.

Latest posts

Back