Too high FG - what to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmbeerhead

Reaction score
My Final Gravity for a Stout is too high I think...

Recipe: (4) gallons (steeped grains)

5 pounds of Pale Malt Liquid Extract
1 pound of Munich Malt Liquid Extract
.5 pound of Caramel 120l malt
.5 pound of Chocolate malt
.5 pound of black roasted barley
.5 pound of black patent malt
2 oz of Galena Hop Pellets – 60 minutes
1 oz of Centennial Hop Pellets – 15 minutes
1 oz of Centennial Hop Pellets – 5 minutes
White Labs California Ale Yeast

OG - 1.060
FG - 1.020/1

Fermentation went off without a problem, and its been in the primary for 3 weeks now ...

Question is? Should I bottle it now, rouse the yeast and let it sit for a week, or pitch more yeast?

I would just wait until it drops more. Although it may look like it is done fermenting, there is work still being done. In a week, check it again. Your FG should be lower than what it is. If it is the same for 3 consecutive days, its time to bottle. 3 weeks isn't enough time to make the step to bottle if your FG is that high.

I checked gravity last weekend when I thought about bottling, saw the high gravity, and waited awake... so its been the same for 7 days, sadly...

Did you use a starter or just pitch the vial of yeast? If the gravity is still that high, and it was the same a week ago, it seems like fermentation has stopped before its finished. What is the temp? The beer I have brewed around the same OG ended up at 1.010-1.015. My temp stays at a constant 70 degrees.

I pitched the vial of yeast, fermented around a fairly constant 72ish degrees.

Should I pitch some more yeast with some yeast nutrient or energizer, and then wait?

It seems that a vial of white labs should be sufficient to convert a 5 gallon batch with a SG of 1.060. I would wait and take another reading in a few days. Just to be SURE it is constantly 1.020. My beer gets at least a month before bottling. The FG usually falls into range. It sucks to be patient

Ok - after another week, if its about the same gravity, should I pitch some yeast - and if so, what kind...

I doubt you will need to re-pitch. I believe it is not uncommon for bigger beers to stall out during fermentation. But if you do, I would do the same yeast. I wouldn't be surprised if the reading goes down in another week though. Look into making yeast starters. It will change the world for you and give you a more thorough fermentation. It pretty much just wakes up your yeast, multiplies them, and gets them ready for battle.I wouldn't use a starter in your current brew as you would end up over-pitching yeast. Give it some time to chill, and re-check your gravity.

Bottle it and drink it. The yeast you pitch will not have sufficient aeration to do much good and you can't aerate the beer now. It will be good don't worry.

it didn't drop at all after another week and a half in the primary, so I bottled (four gallons) with 1 cup of DME. Hopefully it will come out fine.

I bet your OG reading was higher than what you read. I have done that before by not thoroughly mixing the wort with the water in the carboy before taking my reading. If your OG was higher than 1.060, than its quite possible your final gravity could end up at 1.020 or close to it. I have a recipe that will end up with a FG of 1.022 but the OG was 1.092. Just an example. Regardless, it seems as if you put the time and patience for it to do its thing so I bet it will be even better than expected. Did you drink your sample? How did it taste? I bet you liked it

Just opened the first one after 10 days in the bottle - it seems really carbed. I only put in enough DME to carbed to around 2.0 - 2.5...

Should I be worried?

On the other hand, its fairly tasty with a lot of hop flavor.

Just opened the first one after 10 days in the bottle - it seems really carbed. I only put in enough DME to carbed to around 2.0 - 2.5...

Should I be worried?

On the other hand, its fairly tasty with a lot of hop flavor.

Im not that experienced at it, and I would assume you probably aren't either. I think your last sentence in this was the only part that was important.

If it tastes good, screw everything else. The taste you will enjoy more as it conditions more I am sure, sounds like you ended up with something you like. :)

Back