To much headspace in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're probably fine. Always best to purge with co2, but don't sweat it this time. There will be a very small amount of co2 off gass from that brew so you should have a small protective layer.

Sadly, CO2 blankets are a utopia. Gasses simply mix.

It's quite a lot of headspace, but there is not much you can do about it, aside from filling it up with more beer or a gallon of glass marbles (J/K, don't!). If you aren't harvesting the yeast from the primary, I would not rack to a secondary at all, there's no need for it. Just dry hop in the primary. You're always going to have exposure to air, no matter what, unless you can purge with CO2.

As long as you don't shake that carboy it will be fine.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll have to larger batches in the future. Or maybe upgrade to a smaller carboy or a Co2 tank.

I think that's way too much head space, especially if you plan on keeping the beer for weeks in it. It's pricey but you could try Private Preserve. It's heavier than CO2, but this is still too much head space.

Back