To mash out or not to mash out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The purpose of mashout is to quickly denature the active enzymes. If you go to boil quickly then there is no need. Unfortunately sparge time means that many can't boil quickly enough to denature the enzymes in a short enough time. That being said some do and some dont. I direct fire to mashout temps and then sparge so I guess I mashout without the addition of water.

I don't bother. All conversion is done by then and it is only making the resulting wort more fermentable. Most of the brews I do are drier and that is the result I want.

If you need to set a certain profile exactly, then I could see where you would need to do one.

I don't bother with that. I mash thin (2.0 qt/lb) and then do one sparge. I get great efficiency and great tasting beer.

Mashing out can be an effective bit in your toolbox, because it fixes the dextrin count. It's essential (IMO) if you're fly-sparging; batch-sparging has the added effect of automatically conducting a mashout.

Bob

Mashing out can be an effective bit in your toolbox, because it fixes the dextrin count. It's essential (IMO) if you're fly-sparging; batch-sparging has the added effect of automatically conducting a mashout.

Bob

That's what I do. Today I fly sparged, so I did a mash out first, and even then I still had my grainbed temp drop to 160 by the time the fly sparge was over. (My HLT water had dropped to 172, though).

When I batch sparge, I don't bother with a mash out. I just use hotter sparge water to bring the grainbed up to 168-169.

I wouldn't neccesarily call what I do a mash out, but I do raise my mash to 168-170 and then start to drain after waiting a minute for it to settle after stirring. My purpose is to make the wort flow better. The warmer the wort, the better it flows. That's it. Well not quite. I'm also looking to get a few more limit dextrins for a little extra boost in body.

Back