To Keg or Not to Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atlmustang

Reaction score
So there was an advertisement from home brew supply on here and they have a 5 gallon keg, gas line, beer line and regulator for $120 and after a 5% discount $113. This beats the crap out of any keg system I've seen this far by about $120. Wasn't planning debating kegging so soon but that price has me feeling like I need to jump. All I'd need is a co2 tank.

My dilemma is this though. I like the portability of bottles but hate waiting 2-3 weeks to carb. I'd like to be able to drink within days of kegging. So should I start a system of bottling some of my beers and keeping them around and kegging some others? That seems obvious. I am brewing every weekend right now so I'm not worried about keeping stock.

I think it's a no brainer right?

You'll need some kind of faucet and something to keep your keg cold. Since I've started Kegging I really don't care for bottling. I have a growler filler I can use to take beer with me or share with friends.

I have a beer fridge. My buddy owned a gas station a couple years ago and gave me a nice drink fridge. Its perfect height top loading for 5 gallon containers. As a matter of fact i just cold crashed my rye pale in it.

I already tested the fridge and itll hold steady at 35 degrees at its coldest. I can adjust temp up to 65.

Good idea on growler. Didnt consider that.

How about Grolsch type bottles? If you pour into those and close up with the stopper will that hold carbination for a short time?

You can always force carb. Purge the headspace a few times and then hook up to c02 at 30psi and shake or roll the keg around for a few minutes. I usually do it this way so I don't waste a full tank of c02 if there is a leak somewhere in the connections.

I went to kegging last September and have not looked back.. There is the cost of taps and line and unless you like drinking the same beer over and over again you may want to plan on having 3 or 4 kegs and taps. But don't kick the bottles to the curb just yet. I still bottle a few bottles from the tap to either finish off a keg or to send some home with friends. :tank:

I think kegconnection.com has a cheaper kit. $104 with a 5 gal keg plus shipping.
I've been eyeing their kits. Just need to get my kegerator built.

Dang...I can get a 2 keg system with pin lock kegs for $158 on keg connection. Should I get pin or ball lock?

I think you need to add a CO2 tank to the Homebrew Supply kit. Not sure about the Keg Connection kit.

There is/was a guy on here selling 20# tanks for about $60 or so. That's about the price of a 5# tank usually.

I love kegging, but I like bottling too. Different ways, but both useful. I only have 2 taps, and bottling lets me store big beers easily, and I also prefer to bottle if I know I'm going to be sharing the beers with guys from work. I can fill bottles from the tap, but it's way easier to just grab a box and take it in. (Less sediment from the tap, though...)

For me I am going after the ball lock kegs. But I want to upgrade to the dual body regulator so that increases the price.

I have a beer fridge. My buddy owned a gas station a couple years ago and gave me a nice drink fridge. Its perfect height top loading for 5 gallon containers. As a matter of fact i just cold crashed my rye pale in it.

I already tested the fridge and itll hold steady at 35 degrees at its coldest. I can adjust temp up to 65.

Good idea on growler. Didnt consider that.

How about Grolsch type bottles? If you pour into those and close up with the stopper will that hold carbination for a short time?

Yes I use the flip tops sometimes works fine. I also have this to fill soda bottles but haven't tried it yet.View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1461080299.473484.jpg

You're about to step on a slippery path... One keg will very soon make you understand... errr... I mean, stop understanding how you could live without it. And next will come understanding that one keg is not enough. Not just "not enough" but NOT ENOUGH.
Then check how long it will take you to post another message here, like Four kegs or Five?..
:)

You're about to step on a slippery path... One keg will very soon make you understand... errr... I mean, stop understanding how you could live without it. And next will come understanding that one keg is not enough. Not just "not enough" but NOT ENOUGH.
Then check how long it will take you to post another message here, like Four kegs or Five?..
:)

I've had one keg for a year now, and I'm itching for more. I need more kegs!

Lol thanks for all the input. That keg connection kit with 2 kegs sounds good. I think my local cO2 supplier only uses theirs like propane dealers. So i dont know about buying a tank until im positive on that.

I might do the ball locks though sounds like pins might be a little more incompatible.

Can you do 4 gallons batches in a 5 gallon keg?

After my first bottling episode of using priming sugar and waiting for three weeks, I reached much the same conclusion as you--I want a keg system so I can force-carbonate the beer and get it to serving condition that much faster.

Another advantage to kegs is that you can fill bottles fairly easily from them, and you won't have any sediment to decant around. If you give a bottle of such beer to a novice, they'll just pour it all in the glass and then....uck!

I'm sold on it. Look around for deals on CO2 tanks. I bought two 5-pound tanks so I can either have two different systems going and, more importantly, have a spare tank just in case. :)

My only suggestion would be that you get good stuff, not the cheapest thing you can find.

Lol thanks for all the input. That keg connection kit with 2 kegs sounds good. I think my local cO2 supplier only uses theirs like propane dealers. So i dont know about buying a tank until im positive on that.

I might do the ball locks though sounds like pins might be a little more incompatible.

Can you do 4 gallons batches in a 5 gallon keg?

You can do whatever size batches as long as it's below 5G. Just purge with CO2 before filling, super easy.

I like pinlock because it's impossible to mess up the connection (in vs. out) and the kegs tend to be a bit less expensive on average.

I think it's easier if you pick a type and stick with it if you expand in the future. Having said that I do have one ball-lock connection for force-carbing plastic bottles with keg.

I would pick a bigger CO2 tank - I upgraded to 20lb instead of 5lb so my 5lb tank is just sitting there. Maybe purchase the tank separately, instead of part of the package. You can get 20lb for a bit over $100, shipped.

I like Taprite regulators over Chudnow, for just a little more $.

Also think about whether you would like to scale up at some point. Would you require different pressures (some kegs at serving pressure, some forced-carbed)?

The comments on keg connection are extremely positive on both the quality and the customer service. Two kegs for $188 is awesome. It's $150 for pin lock but the ball locks are a tad more expensive. From reading it sounds like it doesn't really matter which keg, just to make sure future kegs are the same type.

I've bought three Torpedo kegs from MoreBeer--I really like them. $89.99 for the 5-gallon, including shipping. There is also a 2.5 and 1.75 gallon version for less. I like kegs that have handles that protect the gas and beverage posts. The Torpedoes are lighter and I like that as well.

The comments on keg connection are extremely positive on both the quality and the customer service. Two kegs for $188 is awesome. It's $150 for pin lock but the ball locks are a tad more expensive. From reading it sounds like it doesn't really matter which keg, just to make sure future kegs are the same type.

Pin Lock work fine. I started there, but my source quite selling them after I bought my first one and were pretty sure they couldn't reliably get more, so I traded it for a Ball Lock to be compatible across my equipment.

I do think that there are more Ball Lock compatible devices out there besides kegs, but you could do Keg in Pin lock and have a hose with Ball Lock QD on it for the auxillary devices if you even get any.

Ball lock QDs are shorter I think too. You may want to double check that.

You can probably do it cheaper if you piece it together. There's no point in buying a new cylinder. Most places just swap them out, so bye bye shiny new tank!

Check www.homebrewing.org for used kegs. Great deals on "loose handle/bottom" kegs. Some aren't even loose! Lol! A little dab of Gorilla Glue will fix anything too. A quick wash, and they're good to go. Great customer service too, at least that's been my experience.

Check www.ritebrew.com for all other kegging accessories. They're cheap, and cheap shipping too. Use the Speedee delivery option if it's available in your area.

Buy your lines in bulk from Amazon: http://amzn.com/B00E6BCXQ8 Super cheap! Go with 3/16" lines, not 1/4". Thank me later. Lol! (It's not in stock now, but it will be soon. It's so cheap, it sells fast.)

Check craigslist.org for your co2 tank, or buy one here from ezryder. He's cheap, and everyone seems to love his tanks. PM him for prices... https://www.homebrewtalk.com/member.php?u=184324

Surprisingly, some of the best prices for regulators are on ebay. Buy a dual gauge regulator so you know how much is still in the cylinder. I prefer Taprites. They're wonderful for the price, and I hear their customer service is second to none! I've never had to use their customer service though. The quality is phenomenal.

Also, check the HBT For Sale section often. It's very active, and great deals pop up all the time! I recommend checking there first before you buy anything in the future.

Good luck, and welcome to the Kegging Hysteria! Lol! Kegging can get pricey so any way you can save, but still get high quality items, is worth the extra few minutes to look around.

:mug:

^ thanks for the above.

So my airgas supplier by me only does swaps, so I would not need a C02 tank. That means for a 2 pin lock set with the upgraded taprite regulator, it would cost me $165, plus $22 for the C02 tank. I ran the cost analysis (I am an accountant). An average cost of a glass of beer would be .72 cents kegging. That includes the average cost of BIAB ingredients of $35 for a 5 gallon batch and the price of the C02 per glass yield. There are 127.998 ounces per gallon which means that a gallon of beer yields 639.99 ounces of beer or 53 beers per batch. Assuming a 6 pack of craft beer averages $10 and something like a Coors light averages $7. By my calculation, the cost of the system for kegging beer would cover the cost of buying beer in 3 batches of craft beer and 7 batches of coors light.

After that you really start saving. I think it's totally worth it to spend the money. Bottling may be cheaper once you have the bottles, but the time waiting to enjoy bottled beer is subtracted greatly for me, making kegging the best option.

I put a lot of thought into numbers and cost benefit analysis when I buy stuff!

^ thanks for the above.

So my airgas supplier by me only does swaps, so I would not need a C02 tank. That means for a 2 pin lock set with the upgraded taprite regulator, it would cost me $165, plus $22 for the C02 tank. I ran the cost analysis (I am an accountant). An average cost of a glass of beer would be .72 cents kegging. That includes the average cost of BIAB ingredients of $35 for a 5 gallon batch and the price of the C02 per glass yield. There are 127.998 ounces per gallon which means that a gallon of beer yields 639.99 ounces of beer or 53 beers per batch. Assuming a 6 pack of craft beer averages $10 and something like a Coors light averages $7. By my calculation, the cost of the system for kegging beer would cover the cost of buying beer in 3 batches of craft beer and 7 batches of coors light.

After that you really start saving. I think it's totally worth it to spend the money. Bottling may be cheaper once you have the bottles, but the time waiting to enjoy bottled beer is subtracted greatly for me, making kegging the best option.

I put a lot of thought into numbers and cost benefit analysis when I buy stuff!

You still need a co2 tank to swap out.

Wow you do like your numbers. To most of us it's about the hobby and fun creating our own unique beer rather then just saving money. My average cost (roughly calculated) is about $25 per 5g keg. But the experience of sharing homebrew with friends is worth way more then that.

I've only been home brewing solo for just about 3 months now, but I jumped right to kegging immediately. I started with the 2 faucet basic homebrew kit from Keg Connection, using picnic taps. Without the 5# CO2 tank, and adding a few upgrades including two ball lock kegs during on sale, the price was just over $200. I can't speak to other vendors, but the kit was already assembled and was good quality. It included check-valved shutoffs and swivel nuts on just about every connection.

My only regret is that I didn't just go straight to a 4 keg system with a dual-body regulator. I'm now upgrading the system (already) as I have 4 kegged beers with another on the way. Trying to piece out the upgrade just wasn't economical on any site (including kegconnection), so I'm actually buying a second 2 faucet kit to join with the first.

The ball locks have a slightly smaller diameter, so that might be something to consider before you buy pin lock depending on your space. I can barely fit 4 in my 7.1 CF keezer. Also, I would make sure the lids have pressure relief valves, I don't think all pin locks do.

I just really like numbers. Trust me i love the home brew process and enjoying my own beer and sharing it.

I just like cost analysis too. I am a counting mutant so...

Thanks for tip on the CO2 bottle. I wasnt sure if you could buy them decently at air gas or not. Definitely Not buying a new one.

I think im ready to jump. The lure of not waiting so long to drink has me deeply in need.

I bottled for one year, then when keg connection had the sale this past year on a kegging system I jumped right in. Being that I can get my CO2 tank filled at my LHBS I also bought a tank. About two weeks later Home Brew Supply was running a sale on 2 used ball locks, so I bought those. Then it was off to the races to buy something to put all this in. Lowes was running a special on the Frigidaire 8.1 cu. ft. chest freezer.

Now I am working on making my chest freezer a Keezer. I have only bought 2 shank and 2 faucets, all stainless steel along with the tail pieces. Man are those things pricey. Eventually looking at making it a 6 tap system. Four on the floor and two on the hump. Will but the taps as they go on sale. Still have yet to get 2 more ball locks to fill the whole freezer.

So you see the obsession never quits.... It is nice to have your brew all carb up and ready to go though. Enjoy your kegging. Like me you will probably never look back though...

I never heard of anyone who started kegging, then gave it up to back to bottling.
I am not an equipment hoarder, and I am very thrifty. I prefer simple stuff. But I love my kegs and kegerator. I keep a few cold flip tops ready to fill to share with buddies or bar owners.
Go forth and keg.

Then it was off to the races to buy something to put all this in. Lowes was running a special on the Frigidaire 8.1 cu. ft. chest freezer.

Now I am working on making my chest freezer a Keezer. I have only bought 2 shank and 2 faucets, all stainless steel along with the tail pieces. Man are those things pricey. Eventually looking at making it a 6 tap system. Four on the floor and two on the hump. Will but the taps as they go on sale. Still have yet to get 2 more ball locks to fill the whole freezer.

So you see the obsession never quits....

Yeah, it's a slippery slope. I bought that same freezer from Lowe's and it holds 5 kegs with room to spare. Since I already had a kegerator, I turned it into a lagering chamber. I have nine kegs all filled with lagers: five in the new freezer, and four on tap in the kegerator. Next upgrade: a second co2 manifold for the new freezer so they can carbonate while lagering. I've been waiting a couple weeks for that to happen after putting them on tap. That's a senseless waste of time.

So anyway, you can never have too many kegs, only too little room to accommodate them all!

SWMBO gave me the go ahead to move forward with keg conversion. Ran the numbers by her and she said "I dont know ehy you bottled in the first place. Less time more product...thats the goal right?". I knew i married her for a reason. :)

I did it! Double keg system. Pin Lock kegs (had to go pin lock since they are shorter than the skinnier tallers ball lock kegs for my fridge).

Upgraded to Taprite regulator. Had to get the C02 tank as well. My airgas dealer sells them for $95, keg connection had then $65. Easy call there.

Very excited! I got two batches coming up off fermentation and I was getting ready to bottle. Now, I'll wait. :) The best part of getting the kegs is being able to fill them immediately. Now it's off to youtube to learn about kegging pin lock style.

SWMBO gave me the go ahead to move forward with keg conversion. Ran the numbers by her and she said "I dont know ehy you bottled in the first place. Less time more product...thats the goal right?". I knew i married her for a reason. :)

It's an investment that you won't be sorry about...that's for sure.

Also get a tube of keg lube and put it around all of your gaskets. That will make like easy. Also get a little spray bottle and put some Mr. Bubble in it and look for leaks.

Also right off the bat get 10 foot beer lines.

These are things that if I could have a 'do over' I would do.

--Edit was typing this out before the OP's post saying he already got pin locks --

On the question of pin lock vs ball lock. From what I've seen at this time pin lock kegs are usually cheaper. Pin lock's are shorter and fatter, I went with ball lock kegs because in my keezer I could fit 4 while only could fit 3 pin locks (width is more of a limitation than height).

From what I've read, the biggest negative with the pin lock in the lack of a release valve. I frequently use them on my ball lock and while you can release pressure on the pin lock from the posts, I sure like the release valve on the ball lock (although this is another place where you can have air leaks).

I also bought my kit from Keg Connection, I don't regret my decision. Don't forget if you buy from keg connection to take advantage of their 1/2 price kegs. I also bought used kegs from another vendor and I think the used ones from keg connection are in better condition.

Thanks Dave. I did get the 1/2 off deal. Both kegs cost me $49.

I am a little concerned about the release valve on the pin locks but I saw a video of a guy that releases pressure on the cap with a screwdriver. Apprently there is a valve of some sort there. Having the requisite room was important.

Either way, Im pumped. No more 3 week bottling periods.

I am a little concerned about the release valve on the pin locks but I saw a video of a guy that releases pressure on the cap with a screwdriver. Apprently there is a valve of some sort there. Having the requisite room was important.

Just buy new keg lids if its an issue. A lot of homebrew stores sell brand new lids with o-rings and they all have pull valves

I use pin locks and it's gravy train to release the pressure on the poppet. I have a little paint can opener that I keep near by, but a screwdriver, key, fork, and a myriad of other things would work great.

Back